PDA

View Full Version : compositior in xsi

Rabid pitbull
12-08-2004, 05:10 PM
I am just wondering if you guys with essentials use other apps like after effects, or is the built in tool enough. Just wondering what the limitations might be.

Thanks,

James

Felipe
12-08-2004, 06:09 PM
I want to know exactly the same thing. Im about to buy Combustion and Im wondering if I take the upgrade route from foundation to essentials I will get a better and integrated solution.

Anyone use XSI/Combustion combo ? any comments ?

Thank you in advance,

Felipe

MJV
12-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Have you guys ever used AE or Combustion? I guess not because it's such a naive question to think that an integrated compositor is going to be able to do what standalone software will. Just because you have some paint tools in App A doesn't mean you can get along without Photoshop, and just because there are some vector tools doesn't mean you can get along without Illustrator, and just because there are some compositing tools doesn't mean you can get along without AE or Combustion or Shake. In this business, these apps, PS, AI, and AE are essential tools in your toolbox, and nothing is going to ever change that.

AdrianLazar
12-08-2004, 08:41 PM
i still use combustion. we had some stability issues with the build in compositor from xsi. combustion is also faster and use the resources smarter. eaven if now i can't use .rpf or .rla formats i still find combustion faster, with better stability and better workflow.

Rabid pitbull
12-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Hmmn that is sort of a snotty response. Seems to me that a package with such other wonderful tool implementations may in fact have a good idea what is important in a compositor tool as well. :rolleyes: Excuse me for hoping that the tools implemented actually function, just wanted to hear if they are fluff or not.

yog
12-08-2004, 08:58 PM
I've not had a chance to look at the XSI compositor in depth, but I was surprised at the number of functions (keyers, etc) it has, I was expecting the bear minimum.

It does have some advantages straight off the bat though, like the fact it can be used to influence images/clips before rendering as well as after. Also it can automatically pull in all or some of the render passes direct from the renderer.
One thing I'm looking forward to trying out is to have it keyframe some effects on an image or clip partway through an animation, should be interesting.

Looking good, just need to find time to get around to it.

MJV
12-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Hmmn that is sort of a snotty response. Seems to me that a package with such other wonderful tool implementations may in fact have a good idea what is important in a compositor tool as well. :rolleyes: Excuse me for hoping that the tools implemented actually function, just wanted to hear if they are fluff or not.
Hey sorry, just can't see someone trying to get past buying these (what I consider) bare minimum essential tools. FWIW, the compositor in XSI looks excellent from what I've seen in the demonstration videos, and like Yog said, it has the advantage of being able to work with the Raw data from XSI. Certainly makes Essentials a much better buy than it was before when it didn't offer the compositing tools.

ThE_JacO
12-09-2004, 09:37 AM
I think the question is being asked in too general terms.
compositing is not the same in every pipeline, and whatever the FXTree will suffice or not depends from what you need to do.

personally I'm not opening shake since a while now, and only open combustion3 for a couple of plugins and for PI.
All my precomps go through the FXTree, and I know quite a few chaps who do the same and haven't regretted it insofar.
also the tracker and the paint system are way on top of most of those provided with standalone compositors, and that for me is a big plus; try cleaning wires for a quick precomp with a sh*tty painter and a slow tracker.

but if you need to do motion graphics more then you need to actually composite then combustion3 is your best bet, simply because it's a timeline hybrid like afterFX, has just as many funky filters and plugins but also offer a tree based structure.

@Oxygen: the FXTree stability depends from a number of things, I haven't seen it crashing in 6 or 7 months personally, but I don't doubt you had problems.
what REALLY surprises me is that you found combustion more stable and faster. my experience with ALL combustion versions (3 has only partially fixed this) was the slowest rendering of the pack and the untolerable instability.

Rabid pitbull
12-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the answers everyone. Seems like it is more substance than hype by the answers here. I totally understand that a dedicated application will typically have benifits and advantages, but i was curious to find out if it will do for 90% of the needed functions. Sounds to me like many of you are quite pleased, and only rarely need other tools.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.