PDA

View Full Version : Judge my animation (small file)

AlexYaremchuk
12-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Judge my animation (small file)

Hello people!
I remember posting here some links and getting useful comments. Now I hope to receive some feedback on my newest small animation work. Please be honest and don't take in to count the fact that this short was done by a guy who been studing character animatuion all by himself for little more then one year.

Link:
http://light-powered.pristavki.com/index2.php?subEngine=displayTopics.php&table=cg_mov

It's the topmost topic on page.

---
Also I would like to ask local gurus if there is any place on web (or a book) which can teach a good way of setting a composition in 3D space. I mean standard lights, modeling, texturing - basicly how to use it all economically. There many real time games which look great but with my movies I constantly end up having several hours of render time. There are many tricks like adjusting anti-aliasing, motion blur etc. I would like to learn more about it.
---
Another critical question. I'd like to discuss the best way of constructing character meshes. Many peaple of industry advice to stuck with quad polygons because they deliver the most predictable deformation. But triangles still show up in professionally done models. And game models practically all consist of triangles. What is right and should I be afraid if three point polygons as I am now. What if I've got a quad model with one or two triangles in zones that get little deformation? Is it just a bad style or something more?

Soon2bAnimator
12-08-2004, 06:30 PM
hey Alex by recent work im assuming you mean the through the window animation? well it was,very nice and flewent animation my only crit is when he trips over the weight...it could use a lil bit more anticipation and a little less bounce after the fall....also durning the fall it could be a lil more faster maybe a 3 or 4 frame fall to show more weight...other than that i really enjoyed it awsome stuff *thumbs up*

-S2bA

Capel
12-08-2004, 07:47 PM
the movement overall is really nice. you can tell you've minded your curves. the only part that doesnt' read very well for me is when he falls down when he first jumps through the window. it looks like he's doing the worm or something, when he bounces three times... it doesn't feel like it belongs. other than that, nice work.

AlexYaremchuk
12-09-2004, 06:19 AM
Well, thanks for all your encourage words, I was trying realy hard this time. Yeah, animation is still not perfect, and the moment when he realizes the weight could be more expressive.

>>>it looks like he's doing the worm or something...
It was meant to be this way. You know I took almost every motion as a detached exercise of animation (script was present also). It's like choosing a goal and trying to achieve it. With this jump in I wanted character to be as fluent as possible (which is not easy cause Character Studio's TCB and overall rigidness). Some translations took several days like the one when he falls and starts waving on the floor.
I think such kinda performance suits character like Goofy.

AlexYaremchuk
12-10-2004, 10:44 AM
People i'm still looking for more critique. Let it be brutal, let it be any type - it is just invaluable for the one who is trying to improve his skills in animation. I'm the one so please tell me what is bad in my animation.

disrupt
12-10-2004, 02:49 PM
This has potential but there are some problems that need to be worked out. When he jumps through the window I think you could pick a much more dynamic pose. Right now he is all balled up and it's a bit boring. I know he has to fit through the window but right now his knees pass through his arms as he is going through the window. After he comes in the window, he bends his back really far back as he is standig up.. Why? That just really looks wierd. In my opinion it is not realistic the way he trips. It looks like he trips of purpose. Now the biggest problem is when he hits the ground after he trips. You have some major problem with wieght there. Try to find some reference of someone hitting the ground. Or act it out yourself. YOu have him WAY too bouncy, like he is a fish out of water. You also have his foot going right through the bar. And lastly, it just doesn't make sense to me. If he is a thief why would he try to move the wieghts? Isn't he trying to steal something? If there is a way to incorporate this "weight lift exercise" into your story, then great. But don't force it in there just because you want to show a guy picking up a something heavy. You could always do it as a separate animation exercise, or try to find a better way to merge that in with the story.

Just my opinions.

AlexYaremchuk
12-11-2004, 07:08 AM
To disrupt:

I must thank you for your critique but I think you are not considering the fact that this thief (your guess is right it's a thief; "Thief" was a working title for this gig) is a cartoon character. He is exaggerated in many ways while not completely of reality. Exaggeration includes the way he bends, falls etc.

>>>his knees pass through his arms as he is going through the window.

That's true. I hoped it would not be noticeable but... It's funny that I'd spent hours trying to assemble a bearable pose the jump before realizing that it would be easer to scale the window. (^_^) I never tryed squashing joints in CS.

Talking about plot, there was one at the begining. But later when I decided to cut it down It became more like an exercise.

HenningK
12-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Exaggeration is fine, but weight is ultra-important in animation. The way he falls is pretty ridiculous because he loses his sense of weight. He does it again with the sneaky walk. If you wanted to exaggerate his stealthiness, you'd have to get rid of all the parts where he struggles, to make him look as if every move was effortless. But as it is, it looks more like you'd want to exaggerate his clumsiness and his struggles against gravity. Therefore he must have consistent weight, and a lot of it. When he walks and falls it should look like he's made of lead.
Another problem with this piece is the disconnect between his character design and his motion design. His proportions are close to a real human's so it is hard to see him as a cartoonish character.
-henning

AlexYaremchuk
12-12-2004, 08:02 AM
>>>Another problem with this piece is the disconnect between his character design and his motion design. His proportions are close to a real human's so it is hard to see him as a cartoonish character.

Yeah, that's because animation was done before I even started to think about modeling. I just wanted to try it this way.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.