PDA

View Full Version : 10 sec. character animation... c+c 'preciated

Mungo J
12-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Hey everyone, this is one of three animaitons for our character animation module on my uni course, the theme is student life, and this first one is about the extreme boredom we are all often faced with... rendering.

Please let me know what you think, and don't pull any punches with crit, i'm new to animating, but really want to keep improving.

http://s04.imagehost.org/1023/WaitScreen.jpg (http://get.filehosting.org/ei12060.avi)
(click on the image for 727kb DivX .avi file)

thanks,

JHarford
12-09-2004, 12:02 AM
NICE! great work , very belivable. I'd work on the second head bounce, but else it reminds me of a friend i have at uni :D

Mungo J
12-09-2004, 09:50 AM
hey,

cheers stripe, thanks for your comments and i'll sort out that 2nd head bounce today or tommorow, also i was going to tone down the swatting motion on the third "nod" as i'm not sure it makes much sense - any opinions?

does anyone else have any comment/crit?

ta,

gaiXyn
12-09-2004, 10:36 AM
very nice, but his legs doesn't move at all for the first 3 seconds, there should be some kind of motion there no?

Mungo J
12-09-2004, 11:02 AM
thanks binder, yeah, good point it's now on the to-do-list.

i find it's easy to overlook the bits the animation isn't focusing on, but its these things which make a character more beleivable - so thanks for noticing,

any more for any more?

armocelu
12-10-2004, 12:18 AM
I like the timing of almost all the enimation, but at the end looks like the subject was KO and not just fallen sleep, if it is your intention to look like that then i say nothing :p

Mungo J
12-10-2004, 12:32 AM
thanks for the input armocelu, i have to say he is just supposed to be falling asleep, inspired by the usual three-days-awake-straight-till-deadline mood, as i guess most have experienced where you wake up, twisted, scared, confused and having dribbled into your keyboard.

i can't really think how to portray it more as falling asleep than it is, any suggestions?

cheers for the help,

armocelu
12-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Your'e welcome. It's Kind of hard to say because when it happens to me i was not seeing :D, but i guess a more slow gradual fall timing will made it

Mungo J
12-12-2004, 12:54 PM
hey,

got back to this animation after playing with another project, hopefully i've sorted all the leg and head issues, but am a bit worried i overdid the leg motions to a point where it's distracting.

as for toning down the final falling asleep (armocelu's post) i tried it, but it just looked like he was disobeying gravity.

but, please, let me know what you think...

NEW VERSION - 780k DivX (http://get.filehosting.org/xo12614.avi)

JHarford
12-13-2004, 01:31 AM
Much better, and the ending is a lot better now .
keep it up. :)

JHarford
12-13-2004, 01:32 AM
second head bob is a lot better now , and the legs add realism to the whole animation.
Look forward to seeing more from you.

Mungo J
12-13-2004, 03:41 AM
cheers stripe,

i was hoping this could be the last pass for this one, i'm fairly happy with it, but with animation there always seems to be more you can do...

does anyone have any more crits? does the hand flap need toning down? any opinions?

gaiXyn
12-13-2004, 10:47 AM
yep, yep. Much better man, now his whole body looks alive, where as before only his upper body had that good motion. Seems like you have a talent for animating. Good job!

krazyace
12-14-2004, 07:32 PM
he is doing the fall asleep away thing too fast...see when i normally get bored i will slowly toddle off...then wake up FST...then slowly toddle off...

Great work tho

Pinet
12-22-2004, 06:29 AM
hehehe i like the part when he really tries to wake up :)

djkaneda
12-25-2004, 10:29 PM
you did a really good job adding character to something that dosn't have character in the modeling. Cheers for that. that's what animation is all about, adding that character

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.