PDA

View Full Version : copy ops

xs1
12-08-2004, 02:43 PM
whats the best way (if possible at all) to copy setttings/ ops from one object to another?

example: i have a cylinder with settings how many u & v's, radius & height... - how do i copy these settings on the new created cylinder?
i know i could just copy the other one, etc... but i want to know the question above.

or if i apply a deformation op or slice op, etc... how can i copy it to another model? i imagine something like copying over filters in after effects from one to another layer. i tried to do that in the xsi explorer with the ops but it seems not really possible?

or would i have to use the script edtior for such tasks?

ThE_JacO
12-08-2004, 02:46 PM
on top of the PPG you have save and load.
save will save a .preset file that contains a parameters setup for that specific PPG.

save one for the first cylinder and then when you create a new one click load and load the .preset you saved.

same goes for everything in a PPG.

xs1
12-08-2004, 02:53 PM
yes but then i have to do that for every op and load every op .preset into the ppg's...
isn't there a faster way like drag & drop ops like you do with materials? i guess not, otherwise you would have mentioned it.

stefanosoik
12-08-2004, 02:53 PM
or create your original cylinder apply all the transformations that you want and then create your new cylinder....

click on the right toolbar on "Tranform" select "match all transformations" and then select the new cylinder. ~This will apply all the transformations to the new object

I hope this might help you.

ThE_JacO
12-08-2004, 04:52 PM
yes but then i have to do that for every op and load every op .preset into the ppg's...
isn't there a faster way like drag & drop ops like you do with materials? i guess not, otherwise you would have mentioned it. if you keep your browser window (and I mean browser, shortcut 5, not netview or anything else) open and tuned on the directory where you save presets you can save a good deal of time.

drag&drop is supported, but I can't check out to what extent at present time, unless I remember wrong though you can drag and drop the .preset file from the browser on top of the op in the construction history (maybe even in a compatible PPG like the one that pops up on primitive creation, but I'm totally not sure about this).

anything shorter then that and you are asking for XSI to have AI and actually learn dynamically the way you want it to do things :)

Felipe
12-08-2004, 07:26 PM
What I think he means is like dragging´n´dropping the operators from one object to another without having to save a preset to each operator first. You could open 2 explorer windows and drag from one object to another a couple of deform operators at once for instance...

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.