PDA

View Full Version : Bernerd and Mac - new short for download and comments

tibes
12-08-2004, 12:35 PM
I'd like to present my first animated short - "Bernerd and Mac in a Brand New Bag". I've completed this in around 12 weeks work from design to completion and it's my first completed piece of animation. It was modelled, rigged, animated and rendered entirely in Lightwave 8, and put together in Premiere.

It was a very ambitious project for someone that hadn't really animated anything more complex than bouncing balls and basic walkcycles before. I completed the short alone, through design, modelling, rigging, animation, etc and if nothing else I know I've learned lots! :D

In terms of actual character animation there's probably in excess of 2000 frames in this short, which is all part of a longer sustained camera shot. I'm eager to hear from anyone, suggestions of what the strong points are, and the things that I need to improve for next time, particularly in the mid to later parts of the animation. I plan now to go back and do some more animation exercises and some facial animation study after this experience, however I'm interested in hearing recommendations from others!

At the least, I hope you'll find it amusing for the 3 minutes duration! :)

I've made the short available in both AVI and MOV formats. It's hosted on my fileburst account, so you should get excellent download speeds (~100k per second)!

I recommend the Quicktime version if you are able to play both.

Bernerd and Mac - Quicktime 6 MOV (Mpeg 4) - 28 Mb (http://evdl.fileburst.com/bernerd_and_mac_640x480_mp4.mov)

Bernerd and Mac - AVI Version (DivX 5) - 25 Mb (http://evdl.fileburst.com/bernerd_and_mac_640x480_divx5.avi)

Here are some stills for those wondering whether it's worth a look:

http://tibes.net/short1.jpghttp://tibes.net/short15.jpghttp://tibes.net/short2.jpghttp://tibes.net/short3.jpg

Thanks in advance! :D

bonkanailios
12-28-2004, 03:32 AM
nothing about your animation really grabbed my attention...
the charachters where OK
the animation was ...OK
the environment was boring

grab my attention next time and I might actually watch the whole thing.

Pinet
12-28-2004, 10:34 AM
bookalinos, i think thats a pretty cold reply but anyways..

I think its pretty good for a 3 month project!
i think that you should work alot on your animation to add weight specially for the green dude!
I liked how he walked anyways :P
maybe you could have squached /streched the jukebox to make it more alive!

i think that this is a very good start for a first attemp but of course youll need to push your animation farther! Like when the rabbit jumps to the jukebox that was strange ;P

nyways keep it uup!

tibes
12-30-2004, 02:27 AM
nothing about your animation really grabbed my attention...
the charachters where OK
the animation was ...OK
the environment was boring
I understand where you're coming from, however as a one man project (and first attempt) providing an exciting highly detailed environment is very time consuming, and not within the constaints that I had.

grab my attention next time and I might actually watch the whole thing.
thanks, I'll try harder next time :rolleyes:

tibes
12-30-2004, 02:30 AM
I think its pretty good for a 3 month project!
i think that you should work alot on your animation to add weight specially for the green dude!
I liked how he walked anyways :P
maybe you could have squached /streched the jukebox to make it more alive!

i think that this is a very good start for a first attemp but of course youll need to push your animation farther! Like when the rabbit jumps to the jukebox that was strange ;P

nyways keep it uup!
thanks, pinet!

yes, you are right that I need to work more on the weight for heavier characters. and the bunny jumping part is the the weakest in the animation. I thought it was a kinda funny idea, but I think it just ended up as "funny" (not haha) :D

anyways thanks for your crit, I'll take it on board :)

bonkanailios
01-03-2005, 12:58 AM
bookalinos, i think thats a pretty cold reply but anyways..

maybe you have a point there Pinet,
I read through the post again and it did come off as a bit harsh. sorry about that dude I was kind of out of it the other day, and when I am tired I tend to just skip over the fluff.

tibes, I have never seen sombody roll with the punches like that man!

back to the crits:
I know how much of a pain in the ass it is to go back in and fine tune the same shit you've already poured your heart and soul into for the last 3 months.
but thats what animators do: so do some fine tuning
tweek the animations a little bit here
do a little backround work there
and there it is! Professional work.

good luck and I will try to keep an eye out for more of your work!

tibes
01-03-2005, 01:10 AM
no worries about previous comments :) I've been guilty of the same on more than one occasion.

The animation was done for my last term at Melbourne School of Art and Photography so I had a deadline to meet. Although I considered for a while going back and continuing tweaking and improving, ultimately I feel I'll learn more by moving on to a different project. I'll also save myself frustration by leaving Lightwave and its animation tools behind me. I'm currently getting up to speed with XSI's animation tools and so far I'm pleased I made the switch.

Anyhow, I'm currently pre-viz'ing my next short which (you'll be pleased to hear :D) does have more interesting visuals and more cinematic action.

Designer2
01-03-2005, 08:35 AM
as i can see you made everything here, this is so good thing, if i can say you are considering this project as start then i think you have a big chance to make artists go Wow later on, just take your time and amaze us, no need to do that now or after 2 months or more, just take your time think about great art and do it yourself your way...

good luck, nice idea and great start.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.