PDA

View Full Version : Pixar's Cars moved back to summer 2006

RobertoOrtiz
12-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Quote:
"Walt Disney and Pixar have announced that they are moving the release date of Pixar's upcoming animated feature film, Cars, from November 2005 to June 9, 2006. "

>>Link<< (http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00002800.html)
-R

worker_bee
12-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Wierd. Does that mean Pixar wont have a film out at all next year?

Kaszub
12-07-2004, 10:38 PM
That's a pity... :(

SheepFactory
12-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Well that sucks :(

MaDSheeP
12-07-2004, 10:57 PM
that is quite a push back....

waaaaa =(

peanuckle
12-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Well its alright I'd say. I would rather wait then have them crank out some stinker.

Tanner

My Fault
12-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Their reasoning seem dead on, just a shame to go so long without a Pixar film. Also gives them even more time to workout a distribution deal for the film after and/or fix their issues with Disney.

xs1
12-08-2004, 12:32 AM
i think they're doing this because they read my destroying critiques on the cars trailer...

mummey
12-08-2004, 01:40 AM
that is quite a push back....

waaaaa =(
/me thinks Disney asked Pixar not to turn Chicken Little into a stillborn...

Shaderhacker
12-08-2004, 01:54 AM
/me thinks Disney asked Pixar not to turn Chicken Little into a stillborn...Come on now. If anything I would think that Pixar wants to get some of Shrek 3's action!;)

So, most of the 3d animated films for next year will be released somewhat early.

Robots - March
Mad - May
Chicken Little - June
Wallace&Gromet - July

That's it for next year it seems..

Oops scratch that idea. I guess Chicken Little got pushed back too. Now it's Nov. 2005.

-M

jeremybirn
12-08-2004, 02:28 AM
This was in the news about a month ago as a possiblity (link (http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/georgemannes/10193945.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA)) after the quarterly conference call with investors; it's only been formalized as an announcement now.

-jeremy

Karlstok
12-08-2004, 02:33 AM
Come on now. If anything I would think that Pixar wants to get some of Shrek 3's action!;)

So, most of the 3d animated films for next year will be released somewhat early.

Robots - March
Mad - May
Chicken Little - June
Wallace&Gromet - July

Oops scratch that idea. I guess Chicken Little got pushed back too. Now it's Nov. 2005.

-M
What about PDI's madadascar? I wish Pixar would hire more people and crank out about three features every 2 years.I mean waiting for high qulaity is great,but just hire out more top talent to give us more.Ok at least one a year.:)

jason3d
12-08-2004, 03:01 AM
What about PDI's madadascar? I wish Pixar would hire more people and crank out about three features every 2 years.I mean waiting for high qulaity is great,but just hire out more top talent to give us more.Ok at least one a year.:)

I believe that he was talking about Madagascar when he said "Mad - May". :)

worker_bee
12-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Come on now. If anything I would think that Pixar wants to get some of Shrek 3's action!;)

Robots - March
Mad - May
Chicken Little - June
Wallace&Gromet - July

-M

Actually its...

Robots - March
Mad - May
Curious George - Oct
Wallace & Gromit - Oct/Nov
Chicken Little - Nov

DaveW
12-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Actually its...

Robots - March
Mad - May
Curious George - Oct
Wallace & Gromit - Oct/Nov
Chicken Little - Nov
Curious George isn't 3d though, unless some idiot at Paramount decided that classical is dead. Also I thought it wasn't coming out until 2006?

mummey
12-08-2004, 03:34 AM
Quality over quantity. I'm sure those at Pixar would agree.

jbingman
12-08-2004, 05:41 AM
Pixar has always been about quality and pushing it back is an obvious statement that they'd rather do it right than 'turn em out' as was said. I think there's a fine line between too many 3d movies on the map and not enough. Too many = over saturated and numb audiences and repeats, not something I'd like to see. Pixar will survive - though I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the patching up with disney - that won't happen till '07 after wiesner (mispell intended) bails.

jason3d
12-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Pixar has always been about quality and pushing it back is an obvious statement that they'd rather do it right than 'turn em out' as was said.

But, they pushed it back because a summer release suits this movie better than a holiday release. They didn't push it back to 'fix' it, they are staying with the same production schedule.

Reepoman
12-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Man... I hate waiting so long for movies....they take long enough to make why make em longer? A year and a half for cars?? I would have thought they'd have something else out by then... jesus....

pomru
12-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Yeah, according to Animation World Magazine (http://www.awn.com/):In additional theatrical news, the studio will move toward releasing its films in the summer instead of the holiday seasons. This decision was made when the box office receipts for the summer-released FINDING NEMO (http://mag.awn.com/index.php?article_no=1778) were compared to the fall-released MONSTERS, INC. (http://mag.awn.com/index.php?article_no=823)ted to kids being off from school. In addition, this would allow Pixar to release films in the summer in theaters and then have the home entertainment products ready for that holiday season. Jobs did not say whether this change would start with 2005ís CARS or not.

Source: http://news.awn.com/index.php?newsitem_no=12423

worker_bee
12-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Yeah that strategy has seemed to work well for Dreamworks with Shrek and Shrek 2, both having a summer release and holiday release for DVD's.

PokeChop
12-08-2004, 07:39 PM
There is something more profitable about a June 9th date when it comes to cars. Summertime. Everyone's at the racetrack, everyone's driving their muscles cars, everyone's at the Sonic grabbin a burger...

November. Uhhh. Whatcha gots? Turkey and dressin. Come on.

Smart move big D.

Nazgul
12-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Don't forget The Magic Round about!:D

It's supposed to be out in febuary if I remember well..

and perhaps we'll finally see some of Pinocchio 3000 but I think it's going to be direct to DVD...heck it was playing on the Cartoon Network in the UK last week-end!

worker_bee
12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Here is more info on the delay of Cars, and NO I didnt get this from FoxNews :twisted:

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,15483,00.html

The automotive-themed animated flick marks the final collaboration between the two studios. By all accounts, it's been a highly successful run, racking up six monster hits and $1.4 billion in box-office receipts.

However, insider gossips have revealed their fears that Cars is the movie that could blemish Pixar's previously flawless track record.

"It pains me to say it, but this is the weakest Pixar script ever," a Pixar source tells E! Online. "The animation, while brilliant, is simply at the service of a sub-par story, and it's too late to fix it. The flaws are rooted in the structure."

Fervent Internet discussions on the topic have raised the speculation that circling the block on the film's release date was simply a strategy designed to give Pixar the time to retool a potential stinker.

yog
12-09-2004, 12:42 PM
"It pains me to say it, but this is the weakest Pixar script ever," a Pixar source tells E! Online. "The animation, while brilliant, is simply at the service of a sub-par story, and it's too late to fix it. The flaws are rooted in the structure."

Fervent Internet discussions on the topic have raised the speculation that circling the block on the film's release date was simply a strategy designed to give Pixar the time to retool a potential stinker.

A "Pixar Source" ? Yeah right :rolleyes: Who refers to their company in the 3rd person ?

News in :- A source close to Worker Bee said yesterday "He's full of ***** " ;) :D

jeremybirn
12-09-2004, 12:47 PM
I'm sure worker_bee, quoting "E! News" as proof of his industry perspective, is enough of an insider to the publicity industry to know that the "insiders" who keep leaking and re-leaking the news that Nemo or Incredibles or Cars will be Pixar's first flop are execs who work inside the building with the dunce cap in Burbank, and not inside any building near Emeryville.

-jeremy

My Fault
12-09-2004, 04:39 PM
An inside source at Pixar (look above this post) says that the previous inside source may just be bunk. Hmmmm, I wonder who to believe.... the anonymous guy or the well respected TD who actually works there and uses his real name...ponder, ponder :rolleyes:

worker_bee
12-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Here is another take on the situation.

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/dec2004/nf2004129_4222_db035.htm

"He's among those who believe that "Disney needs Pixar's content, given its difficulty in creating successful animated content on its own over the past several years." The six films that Disney and Pixar have done together have all been big hits, including Toy Story and Finding Nemo.

Disney has its own computer-animated film, Chicken Little, ready for release next summer, and Chairman Michael Eisner recently said the company is gearing up its post-Pixar era of computer-animation efforts. "

"We have a very intensive creative group working on movies, from Chicken Little to Rapunzel Unbraided, to Wilbur Robinson, to a lot of movies," Eisner said at a recent Goldman Sachs conference. "We did the Pixar deal because we are interested in their technology.... I don't think you will see the Disney Company disappear from the forefront of computer-generated imagery."

"However, Disney President Robert Iger says he doesn't think the Cars delay will affect the discussions. He has also termed prospects for Pixar's return a long shot. "

agreenster
12-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Pixar will prove it's mettle once again with "Cars." They had to re-tool TS2 and look how well it turned out. If it aint working, Pixar isnt afraid to put on the brakes, step back, and make it happen. They've got an entire studio full of THE MOST talented people in this industry, and they use those resources to the fullest.

Nay-sayers are just that: talkers.

worker_bee is a troll and an annoying pest.

Tocpe
12-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Here is another take on the situation.

"However, Disney President Robert Iger says he doesn't think the Cars delay will affect the discussions. He has also termed prospects for Pixar's return a long shot. "

You know something that I've been wondering now for a couple of weeks is if Iger will sing a different tune about reuniting with Pixar after Eisner is out of the picture. I wonder if he's just parroting Eisner's words/thoughts/wishes to protect his job, and that he may change his tune when/if Eisner is gone...

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.