PDA

View Full Version : Gamespy dropping Mac support

Chaz
12-07-2004, 07:45 PM
This could be devasting news to Mac gamers and gaming on the Mac in general; affecting not only upcoming games but also already released games like Halo and Battlefield that use Gamespy for matchmaking.

http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=10557

PyRoT
12-07-2004, 09:21 PM
I dont see the point of this. Doesn't gamespy make money off these MAX games which means this move causes them to lose money? I am not one to be very appealed by macs and secretelly feel that anything to bring em down is a good thing. However, I know that a lot of mac users who bought games which use this gamespy network will be hugely dissapointed. I truly hope this resolves itslef.

Tomek

SpeccySteve
12-07-2004, 09:39 PM
I'd imagine the Mac gaming marketshare is tiny compared to pc / consoles, especially online so ditching it might make financial sense I would have thought.

Surely it wouldn't be too hard for Apple or a 3rd party to come up with a better solution than Gamespy anyway? ( I'm thinking along the lines of ASE, HLSW or X-Fire on the pc..)

t-toe
12-08-2004, 04:13 PM
to begin: I am a Mac user. I love the interface.

but... any person who honestly believes the mac is and can be a viable gaming platform is only fooling themself. Apple hardware simply isn't designed to push polygons. it's meant for pushing pixels. video. and audio. media in general.

you want games? build yourself a gaming PC for $500.

--t.toe

Thalaxis
12-08-2004, 04:31 PM
I'd imagine the Mac gaming marketshare is tiny compared to pc / consoles, especially online so ditching it might make financial sense I would have thought.

If Apple's going to grow their high-end sales, they're going to have to work on that. Most of their
computer sales lately have been iBooks, so they're not exactly expanding their share of the gaming
market. And the outdated graphics chips in the G5 iMac aren't going to attract many gamers.

Surely it wouldn't be too hard for Apple or a 3rd party to come up with a better solution than Gamespy anyway? ( I'm thinking along the lines of ASE, HLSW or X-Fire on the pc..)
The hard part isn't the interface and matchmaking utilities, it's building the community. If it's a mac-only
community, it's not likely to last very long, simply because of the number of users available.

Chaz
12-08-2004, 04:38 PM
The hard part isn't the interface and matchmaking utilities, it's building the community. If it's a mac-only
community, it's not likely to last very long, simply because of the number of users available. Exactly. The point of this story is that it's kind of a crappy thing that Gamespy is doing, pricing the Mac usage out of the reach of the developers. Being able to play with PC gamers is a big selling point for a lot of games, and with the advent of the G5s...those not equipped with the GF5200...it looked as if gaming on the Mac was beginning to take off.

Hell, I bought a nice PC as well to play all the great new games like Half Life 2 and such, but I still like playing Halo, UT2004 and BF1942 with my PC friends on the 23" LCD I just bought for my G5.

Thalaxis
12-08-2004, 05:22 PM
the G5s...those not equipped with the GF5200...it looked as if gaming on the Mac was beginning to take off.
I suspect that Apple's SEC filing had something to do with this. The G5 hasn't been selling nearly
as well as expected, even by the pessimists. Part of this results from IBM's production problems,
part of it probably resulted directly from the idiotic ad campaign surrounding it (it's always better to
exceed expectations than to fall short of them), and part of it was probably the Osborne effect
generated by the 3 GHz within a year promises that lead to people waiting for the next version, and
being disappointed by what actually shipped.

No one in their right mind would buy one of those g5 iMacs for gaming, so the choice of a
graphics card that was both low end and a generation and a half out of date pretty much nixed any
possibility of a high-volume gamer mac.

Hell, I bought a nice PC as well to play all the great new games like Half Life 2 and such, but I still like playing Halo, UT2004 and BF1942 with my PC friends on the 23" LCD I just bought for my G5. Which shows that while it's not growing, the mac gaming community isn't dead. It just isn't showing
much potential. But this sort of thing strikes me as a self-fulfilling prophecy. By killing off GameSpy
support for macs, they're pretty shooting the mac multiplayer gaming market in the foot before it had
a chance to get back on its feet, so now we may never have a chance to see if it could stand on its
own merits.

richcz3
12-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Of the few people I know who have owned G4's and the fewer now with G5's, none of play games on them. As t-toe stated, regardless of their performance they are used primarily for graphics and video.
The cost of hardware and gaming market share are more suited to support for the PC.
That and take into consideration PC gamers who avoid Gamespy like a plague and things start to whittle down.

kid tripod
12-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Who cares?

The only Mac game worth owning is http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=59&products_id=4395&

I love mine.

digitalshaman
12-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Who cares?

The only Mac game worth owning is http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=59&products_id=4395&

I love mine.
damn good game!!

Chaz
12-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Here's a more subjective article on the subject:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/12/08/gamespy/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1204

Basically it outlines how Gamespy is gouging Mac developers for already developed technology, which is ridiculous considering there aren't a lot of mac clients connecting. What's even sillier is that Gamespy is bleeding cash right now..they might not even be in business much longer.

Thalaxis
12-08-2004, 07:57 PM
What's even sillier is that Gamespy is bleeding cash right now..they might not even be in business much longer.
Maybe ending their discounts is just a last-ditch cash-grab before going under? (For GameSpy, that is.)

harlan_hill
12-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Whooopeeee!!

I use my Mac's for Work, not for playing games. When I wanna play a game, I fire up my "toy" machine - you know, the windows box!! ;)

DevilHacker
12-08-2004, 09:30 PM
What's even sillier is that Gamespy is bleeding cash right now..they might not even be in business much longer.
Do you got a link? I have not heard this before...

Saurus
12-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Whooopeeee!!

I use my Mac's for Work, not for playing games. When I wanna play a game, I fire up my "toy" machine - you know, the windows box!! ;) Whooopeeee!!

I use my PC for work and play!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.