PDA

View Full Version : Downloading & storing shader presets etc

Shaun_michael
12-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Hi All,

I'm in the process of learning XSI (Foundation), having come from Lightwave (well, still using it actually). One major difference between LW and XSI is the surfacing workflow moving from LWs relatively simple (and dare I say intuitive interface) to XSIs node-based interface.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to download some shader presets from some of the sites you guys have mentioned and deconstruct them (as well as run through the many tutes), but here's the real XSI newbie question, once I've downloaded them where on earth should I put them within the XSI install folders?

OK, well feeling suitably "first day at schoolish" and hoping no-one steals my dinner money, I'm going to stand in the corner of the playground and hope someone makes friends with me :o)

Many thanks,

Shaun

ps - this app has some amazing features that would be awesome in LW *sigh*

Ablefish
12-07-2004, 08:35 PM
One place that should work is in your user folder...

ie. C:\users\[YOURNAME]\Softimage\XSI_4.2\Data\DSPresets\[APPROPRIATE_SUBFOLDER]

Then, in the rendertree:
Go to the Nodes Menu, select the "More..." option (ie, Illumination->More...).
In the browser that opens, click on the Paths button on the side, choose User.
That will open the browser to the above path.
Select your preset.

Sometimes its easier to just have a browser open and drag presets(shaders) into the rendertree. In a general browser, the User button will take you to the root of your user folder - C:\users\[YOURNAME]\Softimage\XSI_4.2.

Shaun_michael
12-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Many thanks Jean-Paul

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.