PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia hops from Xbox to Playstation 3

HapZungLam
12-07-2004, 08:03 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041207/sftu096_1.html

TOKYO and SANTA CLARA, Calif., Dec. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) and NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA - News) today announced that the companies have been collaborating on bringing advanced graphics technology and computer entertainment technology to SCEI's highly anticipated next-generation computer entertainment system. Both companies are jointly developing a custom graphics processing unit (GPU) incorporating NVIDIA's next-generation GeForce(TM) and SCEI's system solutions for next-generation computer entertainment systems featuring the Cell* processor.

HapZungLam
12-07-2004, 08:07 PM
oops. didn't notice -=TF=- got this up already. sorry :P

-=TF=-
12-07-2004, 09:01 PM
hehe no problem...
hope this will get us all a shiny new 8/16way nvidia/ibm/sony linux workstation for xmass 2005!
...ah and a *huge* linux-game bundle ;)

cheers
L

Renderman_XSI
12-12-2004, 11:29 AM
hehe no problem...
hope this will get us all a shiny new 8/16way nvidia/ibm/sony linux workstation for xmass 2005!
...ah and a *huge* linux-game bundle ;)

cheers
L yeah, its been confirm on a number of issues. the GPU mention in this thread is supposely 50X more powerful than PS2 graphics chip(from Nvidia CEO)

Randy Moulic from IBM, did a speech at AGDC confirming the Cell base workstation are running Linux(though you can run other OS at the same time)

H. Peter Hofstee was talking about realtime ray tracing recent.

I hope Intel wakes up and smells the competation, cuz they have let to have a 4.0 GHz cpu out, Cell is supposely 4.6 GHz and does 1 TFLOP. thats the kind of performance 3D artist need NOW at a affordable price range.

dotTom
12-12-2004, 11:46 AM
yeah, its been confirm on a number of issues. the GPU mention in this thread is supposely 50X more powerful than PS2 graphics chip(from Nvidia CEO)

Randy Moulic from IBM, did a speech at AGDC confirming the Cell base workstation are running Linux(though you can run other OS at the same time)

I hope Intel wakes up and smells the competation, cuz they have let to have a 4.0 GHz cpu out, Cell is supposely 4.6 GHz and does 1 TFLOP. thats the kind of performance 3D artist need NOW at a affordable price range.
Yeah, well lets just wait and see shall we. Remember the horribly jaggy screen shots once Teken made it out the door on PS2 - what makes you think Sony will hype PS3 any less? Also recall that the CELL processor will get used in a whole bunch of Sony products, heck the so-called "Emotion Engine" from PS2 is used in various Sony network switches. Finally, you have to be able to ship tens of thousands of these workstations before any major ISV is going to port your existing fav. content-creating applications to this platform. Adding a new platform is a major support cost and not something done lightly. I honestly think what we'll see is a box that runs the PS3 dev kit, some in house Sony CG tech and anything you can get the sources for and compile yourself. Now that's all very well, and speaking personally as a developer this wouldn't put me off, but it's not what you need for a platform to survive long term. More to the point, if you look at the probable commerical ship time for this platform then you can pretty much expect AMD/Intel workstations (running Linux or Windows) to be performance comparible, and at a lower price.

Renderman_XSI
12-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Yeah, well lets just wait and see shall we. Remember the horribly jaggy screen shots once Teken made it out the door on PS2 - what makes you think Sony will hype PS3 any less? Cell isnt a Sony technology its by STI, i dont know when ever IBM has lied about their hardware spec, have you? You can also add Toshiba into the mix.

I honestly think what we'll see is a box that runs the PS3 dev kit, some in house Sony CG tech and anything you can get the sources for and compile yourself. Now that's all very well, and speaking personally as a developer this wouldn't put me off, but it's not what you need for a platform to survive long term. More to the point, if you look at the probable commerical ship time for this platform then you can pretty much expect AMD/Intel workstations (running Linux or Windows) to be performance comparible, and at a lower price. The PS3 dev kit is not the same the Cell workstation , even though they are base on cell technology, they target different demographic. The people i mention are not Sony workers, but IBMs.

Yeah, if Intel OR AMD can product a 4.6 GHz CPU that can do north of 1 TFLOP at a affordable price i'll but it , but i doubt they'll reach this by 2006. Screw it, if any company can give me realtime GI,ray tracing at a affordable price i'll buy it(who wont?). As far as DCC developers support the workstation it really depends on how open they market the workstation. Base on past event, seeing Alias,Softimage, SideFX supporting Sony GS Cube(which never happen BTW) i cant see why they wont support a Cell base workstation for that same reason.

Its not the PS3 im interested in, but the workstation,which i doubt IBM would hype. As far as the 50X statement made by the CEO, its a abit vague and he could be refering to anything so take it for what its worth. But in another statement, it seem Nvidia and Sony are working provide better middleware to ease development,something they been lackin with the PS2 support.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.