PDA

View Full Version : US Appleseed poster

RobertoOrtiz
12-07-2004, 05:15 PM
http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00002798.html

-R

teknotek83
12-07-2004, 05:32 PM
what an awesome recreation of the classic image. i just wish they'd tone down the orage/yellow-oranges!

I saw the movie a few nights ago, and i was really impressed with the animation. the action is really amazing, but the story is kind of hard to follow. cant wait to see this on the big screen!

titaniumdave
12-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Finally a new movie poster that doesn't suck.

Unled
12-07-2004, 06:16 PM
I just saw this recently and holy cow is it amazing! The best Cel Shading I'v ever seen, and some really great animation. Alot of it looks motion captured, but the action is very impressive.

Can't wait to see this in a theater, is it going to be dubbed?

onlooker
12-07-2004, 06:20 PM
I've been waiting to see this movie. I wish the Asian DVD had english subtitles. I would have already picked it up. :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
12-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Here is hoping that this would be better than the horrible borefest that was Ghost in the shell 2.

Ghostscape
12-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Cool! I didn't realize they were making a new Appleseed movie. I have the original anime and it's a terrible treatment of a fantastic manga.

pomru
12-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Can't wait to see this in a theater, is it going to be dubbed?Yes, the theatrical release in January will be dubbed in English. I think they were originally going to release a subtitled Appleseed (http://www.appleseedthemovie.com/) earlier in the fall of 2004 but changed their minds and decided to dub the movie, hence the delay.

Link to the official English web site: http://www.appleseedthemovie.com/

rewsty
12-08-2004, 01:17 PM
On a bit of an off a tangent, but does anybody know when appleseed or Ghost in the shell 2will be released anywere in the world with english subtitles on DVD.. or know when they will be on Cinema release in Europe

Andy

Renzsu
12-08-2004, 01:32 PM
I seem to be one of the few who are disappointed about the look of the main character.. she looks a lot more hard boiled and boyish than the softer and less serious look of the manga original..

Nemoid
12-08-2004, 02:15 PM
hey didn't know about this movie. cool poster btw. i like Briareos the most.

as for the girl, i agree that she could have a more female shape. in shirow comics girls are really sexy.but often they are combat girls.

in the case of this char, she's a combat girl and shirow drew her with small ass and a bit large shoulders for a girl. if i remember well, she has a more developed arm than the other due to heavy weapon use too. So she's a quite boyish figure IMHO. sure that a more female shape wouldn't hurt tho :drool:

Berserga
12-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Great Poster... Might take master chief off my wallpaper for that. :D

In the manga Deunan has a boyish physique (just look at the shower scene in book 1) and she gets more ripped as the books progress.

I'm insanely Otakuish about the appleseed manga, so any movie adaptation is gonna have a hard time with me.

This movie kicks so much ass! Thankfully, It is not an Oshii flavored introspectathon, like GitS 2.

I just saw it the other day. I will see it in the theater when it comes out and will definately get the US DVD (I'm damn tempted to drop a benjamin for the r2 even.)

THE GOOD:

The first 5 minutes will blow your mind, the action is so good. The cel shading is exceptionally handled most of the time. They captured Deunan's personality and even her facial expressions extremely well. the character animation is usually pretty damn good, despite the heavy use of mocap. (because the characters are stylized and cel shaded there is no "uncanny valley" to overcome.)

The action sequences with the landmates are just gobsmackingly cool. The city set pieces are just hard to comprehend, they are so large and complicated. The Lightwave team should be seriously commended. Mechanically speaking they brought shirow's ideas to the 3d world perfectly. (Not suprisingly given the directors mechanical affinity)

The story is pretty good, though VERY different from the original. They take elements from all 4 books (and beyond) and mix em up freely. Unfortunately the storytelling isn't in the same league as GitS Standalone Complex.

NOT SO GOOD

The herky jerky framerate of some of the long city shots isn't so flattering (while the models themselves are amazing) I see this in a lot of japanese 3d work and I just don't get it. the closeup stuff all looks incredible.

sometimes the mocap makes me feel like I'm watching a live action Japanese movie... need I say more?

some shots aren't as polished as others... when Athena is introduced there is something VERY wrong with her eyes... and the lighting choices in some shots are iffy.

WHY do film makers always want to IMPROVE Shirow's characters personalities by angst-ing em up to Hideaki anno levels of whiny-ness?

In the original manga Briareos and deunan are pretty much cool with Bri's status as a full cyborg. They are lovers, and IIRC she never really knew him as a human except when she was a child. (He's a good deal older than her) They were also always a team, living out in badside together. I prefer that over Bri's self pittying "I am a monster" schtick in the movie.

Hitomi's character was changed too much IMO. as Oshii did to cyborgs in GitS they have made the bioroids too cold and inhuman here... though they do some interesting things with it plot wise.

ANYWAY:

The movie looks really freakin amazing and the story is more or less of the right flavor that even a hardcore Shirow fan can handle it.

I hope this does really well, in the states. The best possible thing that could happen is a TV series spinoff (of the quality of GitS SAC) which would follow the manga more faithfully. (I can dream can't I)

Berserga
12-08-2004, 09:05 PM
To be more concise. The relationship of the Appleseed movie, to the appleseed manga is the same as the Macross movie (Do you remember love?) to the Macross TV show.

Different, but both relevant and extremely good!

Frank Lake
12-08-2004, 10:36 PM
as for the girl, i agree that she could have a more female shape. in shirow comics girls are really sexy.but often they are combat girls.
Actually it's more of an Asian body viewpoint. It also helps when you find out that she's also EuroAfrican. She's just more 'real' this way. Shirow went completely T&A with GITS's Matoko. :rolleyes:

I so can not wait for this to come stateside! I've also loved how the 'world' effected the characters instead of the 'characters' leading the world by it's nose ring.

I wish more anime storys had depth like this.

Berserga
12-08-2004, 10:46 PM
You Miiiight be dissapointed by the anime version of appleseed then.

It's good but a bit contrived. (Again like Macross DYRL)

Lunatique
12-09-2004, 10:52 AM
To be more concise. The relationship of the Appleseed movie, to the appleseed manga is the same as the Macross movie (Do you remember love?) to the Macross TV show.

Different, but both relevant and extremely good!
That gives me a really good idea of what to expect. You must be an old skool anime fan, because all the younger anime kids don't know jack about Macross: Do You Remember Love.

I can't wait for this Appleseed movie. The manga changed my life: I became a comic book creator/writer/artist and did it for 8 years fulltime because of Appleseed manga.

I'm not a fan of the GITS movies, as they are too pretentious and differ too much from the mangas. I don't care for Mamoru's depressing and dead-serious vision. That man needs to get a sense-of-humor-implant.

I've lost a lot of respect for Shirow over the past decade. He's gotten out of hand with his depiction of nubile hotties, and have plastered them all over his serious sci-fi epics like GITS 2. That is inexcusable IMO. He's already doing hentai illustrations and mangas on the side for other publishers, so why does he need to do more of them for his serious works as well? Doesn't the man get in sex in real life?

Berserga
12-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Yeah I'm an old fart. ^_^ DYRL is my favorite movie.

The movie is very action oriented and starts out with a bang. I think the pacing is quite good too. While it gets a bit heavy in places it doesn't get all Maudlin like Oshii's recent work. I think I can finally forgive Shinji Aramaki for making Megazone 23 part 3 now. :)

I'll warn you, there are MAJOR changes to the story in the appleseed movie. The plot and several characters motivations are essentially completely new.

Deunan's character is pretty much the same as in the manga, they really did a fantastic job of capturing her essence.

Athena's character is radically different and frankly less interesting, but it works out in the end, with some of the major plot twists thrown in.

Briareos is very heavy thru the whole movie, but again this ties in with the plot.

The one thing that is really missing from the manga is the humerous and often touching relationship between Briareos and Deunan. In the manga they always have each other (though there are strains at times, like in a real relationship) But well as I said... This is a completely new story, and taken as such it is very good and enjoyable

tjnyc
12-09-2004, 03:36 PM

Different, but both relevant and extremely good!That analog is not actually correct. Both the Macross movie and TV was made be the same creators(the same voice), Shirow's mangas and Shirow's based animes have no relations to one another creatively. Shirow had very little involvement with the movies or anime series and has shown little interests in getting involved, everything went through Shirow's point person. Shirow had stated the his manga is his voice, his creative product, the anime he trusted to be the creative force of others and their voice, he feels uncomfortable getting "in the way", he made his version, let the anime director make his.

As to relevance, that is debatable. There is a clear distinction between the anime and manga of GiTS for one, and for my money there are completely separate and has very little relevance to each other than the superficial elements.

From the bits and pieces I have seen of Appleseed and the full GitS 2 and season 1 of the GiTS anime series, none actually recreates the dynamic, frantic nature of Shirow's style and story telling.

I personally, don't much care for GitS Movie 2 or GiTS anime series, because both are very un-Shirow like, and get very boring at times.

I'll looking foward to seeing Appleseed, but it will most likely be a different creative voice behind it, I am not expecting to see a "real" Shirow's Appleseed, but would like to see what interpretation of Appleseed the anime director, cast and crew come up with.

Cheers,

Lunatique
12-09-2004, 03:43 PM
That's a very good point. The only anime Shirow was personally involved with (co-directed, storyboarded.etc) was Black Magic M-66, and that was dramatically different from any of the anime adaptations of his mangas. There's a certain....er, magic, to M-66 that you don't see in any of the anime adaptations by others. I highly recommend Black Magic M-66 to anyone that's never seen it. It's very intense, and shows you how Shirow expresses himself in the animation medium.

Berserga
12-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Agreed, M-66 is the most "Shirow" flavored Shirow derived anime. and a personal favorite. I still remember watching it for the first time, on the big screen from a film print at Animecon 91. I was on the edge of my seat!

I heard that the reason he no longer works directly in anime is because of all the conflicts he had with the animators. In other words Shirow was a royal pain in the ass to work with. :)

Sometimes I like the anime adaptations better. I personally prefer the Dominion anime, over the manga. The old one, not "Crusher Police" (I can hear the cries of "Heretic!" :) )

tjnyc, you are correct that DYRL is different in that it was a Re-invisioning by the original creators and not an adaptation as the appleseed movie is. My comparison was only in the sense that they took the same characters and settings but told a substantially different story, with a different flavor to it. But not as much of a radical departure as Oshii's adaptations of Ghost in the Shell.

It seems you misunderstood what I meant by "Both are Relevent." I didn't mean relevant to eachother, merely that they were both worthwhile within there seperate mediums.

I seriously disagree about Gits SAC, though. It is very much in the spirit of the original manga, though it also borrows from Oshii's first film too... The end result is one of the best anime series ever. Sure it might have been nice if IG had given the major a little more of her extreme personality quirks from the manga, but in the end I think the humerous asides might have been more detrimental to the TV show than helpful. They have the Tachikomas to lighten things up after all.

tjnyc
12-09-2004, 05:21 PM
I heard that the reason he no longer works directly in anime is because of all the conflicts he had with the animators. In other words Shirow was a royal pain in the ass to work with. :)

I heard about that as well, but it seems more a rumour than from any direct source that make this an actual statement of fact, so that is why I quoted getting "in the way" in my message.

tjnyc, you are correct that DYRL is different in that it was a Re-invisioning by the original creators and not an adaptation as the appleseed movie is. My comparison was only in the sense that they took the same characters and settings but told a substantially different story, with a different flavor to it. But not as much of a radical departure as Oshii's adaptations of Ghost in the Shell.

That is why it is debatable and many have debated this issue. I am with more the purist, who find that if it isn't creatively from one voice, you know mostly the will of the original creator, then it is a separate piece of work with it's own legitimacy.

I seriously disagree about Gits SAC, though. It is very much in the spirit of the original manga, though it also borrows from Oshii's first film too... The end result is one of the best anime series ever. Sure it might have been nice if IG had given the major a little more of her extreme personality quirks from the manga, but in the end I think the humerous asides might have been more detrimental to the TV show than helpful. They have the Tachikomas to lighten things up after all.
I don't know, spirit maybe, but definitely not Shirow's style of art, storytelling or brand of insanity, which I can't blame the anime produces of not following. Shirow's style is so bordeline wild at times and all over the place but he always finds a way to make it work and he gibbers on with mumbo jumbo that makes no sense at first that his mangas are a must repeat read. That is the element that most of the animes fail to capture, shirow's almost genius stylistic craziness of art and storytelling. It is an intangible that probably only Shirow could reproduce.

Cheers,

Berserga
12-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Strangely enough though, at the time he did appleseed his stuff wasn't quite so chaotic. I mean sure you would get the occasional SD panel of briareos, Or hitomin beating on yoshi, but for the most part the artwork was pretty consistant.

But look at nearly any of his other manga and the art goes from super detailed to barely a sketch from panel to panel. Pretty schizophrenic. :)

tjnyc
12-09-2004, 05:50 PM
But look at nearly any of his other manga and the art goes from super detailed to barely a sketch from panel to panel. Pretty schizophrenic. :)
Yeah, and he does it his way and he gets away with it. He does make up for it with some amazing stuff in other panels. His latest more erotic poster works are just.. WOW! He blends in more CGI work and it isn't really great CGI, but man he just makes each shot work, really pulls it off and make things look amazing.

Cheers,

onlooker
12-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Had to dig this up, but I would normally prefer foreign films to be subtitled. I cant really stand "dubbed" movies, but if it's animated it might not look as funny as an actual acted character movie does with over dubbed voices.
Can you imagine Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, Brotherhood of the Wolf, or House of Flying Daggers with dubbed voices. I've tried to watch two of those with the dubbed voices on. I shut that sh*t off quick, and turned the subtitles back on immediately.
I guess Ghost in the Shell is dubbed, and that was actually pretty damn good so
i suppose animation could be the exception to the dubbing rule.

dotTom
12-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Can't wait, I watched this a few weeks ago and to echo a comment above it has cell shading to die for. I thought I was getting tired of cell shading and had seem it all. Boy was I ever wrong. This goes straight to the top of my Must Own DVD short list, right next to The Incredibles.

BigJay
12-21-2004, 04:37 PM
I picked up the japanese one at a comic con and thought it is pretty good. Alot better than the original movie if anyone remembers it.

I agree with most of the comments about it but the one thing that bothered me was the eye lines were a bit wonky. The eyes rarely moved.

I liked it over all and have watched it a few times. despite a few nitpicks I think the overall movie is cool and has alot more going on than GitS2 which almost put me to sleep until the last scene.

Definitely check the movie out when its released.

Berserga
12-21-2004, 08:37 PM
I know what you mean about the eyes... The scene where Athena is introduced is very bad about that. As are many scenes with the council. The main characters are very well animated though, Particularly Deunan. Hitomi, a bit less so, just cuz her new character is so different... it's hard for me to get used to. Yoshi is very wooden.

mychaleg
12-21-2004, 10:18 PM
"Hideaki anno levels of whiny-ness"

that's funny!

i have the Quicktime trailer for this; it kicked my ass. can't find any DVD for it though. guess i'll have to wait.

P_T
12-22-2004, 01:52 AM
im guessin the eyes are animated textures. hard to model anime eyes in 3D, specially for animation purposes lol

AndyH
12-22-2004, 12:22 PM
I thought it was excellent - Not quite as good looking artistically as GITS: innocence, but a LOT more entertaining and had a plot that was much easier to comprehend.
My main gripe was the cel shading. It just seemed slapped on and wasnt used very well. Basic, 3 toned cel shading with occasionaly dodgy lighting was used throughout. It wouldve been nice to see more thought into the look of it rather than straight celshading. The hair was sometimes awful too (deunans partner with the spiky hair and one of the elder people) and didnt quite fit in with the rest of it.
However, its not all nitpickings - i really enjoyed the film and found it to be a much more faithful adaptation of the manga than the original anime was (though its still not perfect)

The scene with the multi legged cannons (in particular the part when the buildings collapsed) were stunning and were by far the most impressive bits for me. All of the non-character bits were great, but i just found the look a bit cheap - like they made a decent model, but just slapped a basic celshader on it and mocapped it.

Still though - its the most entertaining hyped anime film ive seen recently - GITS2, milennium actress and Patlabor3 were kinda dissapointing.

Berserga
12-22-2004, 03:49 PM
I disagree. The cel shading is spot on most of the time, Only a couple of shots were bad choices IMO... Like where Deunan was handling her father's Gun... the cel shaded gun looked bad... something about the specularity. I'd have went with a realistic metal shader instead. I mean if they can use honest to god real life models of guns in some scenes of "wonderful days" and have it look good, why not?

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.