Lo-Res (5.5Mb) http://www.rsad.edu/~dstogner/CharAnimSm.mov
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dstogner/frame.JPG

Thanks

Dane

Aeddy
12-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Nice work.
This was done at Ringling?
could you talk about their animation program?
were you there for bachelors or masters program?
Is a short film part of the curriculum?
Anyway really nice work!

pigeonreverend
12-08-2004, 03:47 AM
well...there isn't any masters program at ringling...but regardless, that is one incredible reel as far as i'm concerned, very expressive animation.

marc001
12-08-2004, 04:09 AM
Looks good, but post some screen shots so people know what they're downloading. Also post the behind the scenes stuff like wire frames, textures, early animation tests, etc.

DaneStogner
12-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Aeddy: No, Im just a graduate. These shots are from a film I worked on. Created by about 15 people, almost all of us from Ringling actually.

marc001: posted a frame for ya.

Thanks for the questions and comments. Keep em' Comin.

Corduroy Squirrel
12-08-2004, 09:23 PM
That's a nice reel you have there! Sometimes I wish it was just playblasts because I can't stop staring at all the beautiful renders! Good luck with that reel and looking for jobs (I'm assuming that's what the reel is for).

-C.Squirrel

disrupt
12-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey Dane, really nice work here. One thing that is important is to let people know what you did. Did you design, model, light, texture, rig, and animate everything? Did you do just animation? For the most part, the animation is quite good. Some of the lipsync could use some more polishing. The last shot especially. I think that you could show the build up and release of energy a bit better. There are parts where the energy is building and I expect a big release but it just comes too gradually. And then other times when it is the opposite. Take the first shot when the old bug is doing the "bug fu". Great stuff here, he builds up his energy and shakes and stuff. But then when he releases the energy the moves seem a bit slow. Maybe that's just my opinion. But I would love to see a bit more zip in places. I think your characters warrant that kind of motion at times. An example of when the energy is released too quickly is when he runs in circles. You don't have as strong of an energy build up here, but then he bursts into a run and moves too quickly right off the bat. I think he needs to start a bit slower and ramp up to that speed. Over all this is some really great stuff. I think the grandpa bug is animated the best. The guy with the yellow eyes is not as strong(they probably all have yellow eyes, the guy in they last shot).

Fabulous work!

JeT
12-11-2004, 01:07 AM
Dane Stogner, very nice animations. it seems the animator is benifiting from the cinematography also. great sense of timing and nice audio to work from.

the characters are well developed as well - i like how the cockaroaches appear nice and friendly, but elements like their characterised upper lip add a cartoony "im a creepy cockaroach" aspect to it. very good.

DaneStogner
12-11-2004, 04:02 PM
disrupt- thank you for such a thoughtful crit. Very helpful. I appreciate the time from a person with your apparent experience. Many animators have seen these shots, none have had such intelligent things to suggest. Thanks man.

JeT- youre right, the animator did benefit from the cinematography and audio. Though I often set up my own camera angles, and though I got the director to retime some audio for me... yes i did benefit. Im glad you like the charcter setup, I rigged up the facial expressions for the grandpa and grandma roach, the sassy caterpillar, noah, and about a dozen others that i didn't put on my reel. We were fortunate though to have such a talented character designer. I think most beneficial are the renders. With the exception of the lighting in the last slow shot, all textures, lighting, and compositing was done by one talented man. You're right JeT, we had a great team, and I wouldn't have traded to experience for the world. Glad you liked the animations too.

HenningK
12-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Pretty nice stuff. There could be a little more snappy action and stronger poses under the dialog, as disrupt said. Lip sync is especially weak on the femme hornet. What's all that other stuff at the end? A minute more of stuff over your title card?
real good though,
hen

Mungo J
12-13-2004, 04:28 AM
quality reel man,

the acting throughout is great, i mean henning and disrupt's crits are fair, but to me this reel is a beautiful ray of light in between so many black holes of graduate reels.

ringling looks like a good institution, i only have knowledge on uk uni's, and that's since i joined one, but did you find a huge range of skill levels on your course? i was amazed by the (massive) variation in skill and dedication on mine.

sorry to go on about 3d education, you are out of that cycle now, and (unlike most it seems) have a good opportunity to launch into the industry.

jussing
12-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Very good character animation! :thumbsup:

My main crit is the last title card with your name.... it's on for sooooooo long, while your animations is playing in a tiny window. I want to see some more animation of that moses-type old dude, but I want them full screen with audio, and not in that thumbnail on your title card. :shrug:

Cheers,
- Jonas

emmillius
12-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Fab-u-luss!

There's some nice stuff on there, I bet the name plate at the end goes on for so long cause you were planning to put it to VHS and then it wouldnt matter how long it ran.

My only crit is that you should let Grandpa exhale after the running in circles and jumping bit, it just feels like there is no release.

Good luck with the jobs!

Emily

~my reel~ http://webspace.ringling.edu/~erule/images/erule_fall2004_small.mov
http://cgchar.toonstruck.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=13&t=3089&

Gollum15
12-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Very cool! Where can I find the full movie?:D

DaneStogner
12-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Gollum: Christian Stores Everywhere, or BarnesandNoble.com. Its called The Roach Approach: Don't Miss the Boat.

natgrace
01-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Great animation! Keep it up!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.