PDA

View Full Version : search page access with GET method

Garma
12-07-2004, 02:25 PM
cool, nice idea this forum

one of the things that I'd love to have is the ability for the search page to be accessible by the built-in search box of firefox. This is a little technical but I'm sure Mibus and Leonard will understand.

Make the search page also accessible with the GET method instead of the POST method only. FYI: When using the POST method the data that is sent to the CGTalk server is sent invisible to the user, like what is happening with standard HTML forums with submit buttons, while with the GET method the data is transmitted inside the url, e.g. index.php?searchtem=searchthis&etc=etc))

this should be pretty easy, it's probably just enabling of the $_GET[] variables that are used by the search function. When that is done, I'd gladly write the plugin needed and share it.a quick look in the html code tells me only "$_POST['query'] = $_GET['query'];" would have to be added.. in theory.

I don't know about security settings but if you only allow those search variables to be accessible there should be no risk afaik.

.. or just wait for firefox to support the GET method.. oh well..

Mibus
12-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Taking a random link from a random user's CGChoice icon/avatar/thing...

http://cgtalk.com/search.php?do=process&showposts=0&starteronly=1&exactname=1&searchuser=El%20Rafo&forumchoice=138&childforums=1

It's already possible, the code uses $_REQUEST not $_POST.

You just have to make sure you get all of the knobs twiddled correctly...

Garma
12-07-2004, 11:23 PM
cool! I thought I checked this some time ago, but I didn't check it again or I was wrong. Sorry to bother you I'll check it out!

Garma
12-08-2004, 12:21 AM
for completeness:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=192741

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.