PDA

View Full Version : Using Shape nodes as control objects

dvasquez
12-07-2004, 01:13 AM
I'm using the method Michael Comet posted below regarding parenting a shape node to a locator.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=58577&highlight=shape+nodes

Basically I have a joint heirarchy where I want to set up curves as control objects for each joint (so when I click and rotate the curve, it rotates the joint). I'm able to take the shape node of the curve and parent it accordingly (using the mel script parent -add -s) to the particular joint, but it snaps the shape node to the pivot point of the joint. I'm wondering, is there a way to maintain an offset for the control object so the curve is not directly placed over the joint's pivot (so if it was an upper arm control, it could be placed not where the ball and socket is, but in the middle of the arm bone)??

Thanks in advance!

john_homer
12-07-2004, 02:09 AM
parent the curve (transform) to the joint, freeze transforms on the curve(transform), select the curve shape then the joint and run...
parent -r -s;
delete the curves old transform node.
.j

seven6ty
12-07-2004, 02:52 AM
I'm just wondering about the advantages of this method?

Normally, I use point and orient constraints to get this done... Would there be problems having these control shapes in the joint heirarchy when it comes time to bind the skin to the joints at all???

john_homer
12-07-2004, 03:47 AM
I'm just wondering about the advantages of this method?

Normally, I use point and orient constraints to get this done... Would there be problems having these control shapes in the joint heirarchy when it comes time to bind the skin to the joints at all???
quicker, safer, better. no problems at all.

problems come from things like point and orient constraints...

.j

dvasquez
12-07-2004, 09:14 PM
thanks for the responses. I also found (with the help of Mr. Comet) that you can also manipulate the curves in component mode to move, rotate or scale the curves vertices (even after parenting). That way you can precisely place your control curves where you want them.

seven6ty
12-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Hmmm, good to know, I'm going to have to try this out on my next rig.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.