PDA

View Full Version : Dual CPU + Motherboard, need fresh info, please!

mirkoj
12-06-2004, 10:05 PM
I haven't updated my comp for a long time and I'm a little bit out of the new stuff on the market. Right now I'm looking for nice dual opterom motherboard and CPUs. I need it for maya and to speed up rendering a little but (now it's single athlon XP 2000Ghz, 1Gb RAM).
So I was thinking about dual opteron with 2Gb RAM, for start. So i could use few informations about opteron CPUs and few recomendetaions for mother board. I was thinking about one of the Tyan motherboards?
I know this is prety anoying question like help-me-I-want-new-comp, but I really could use some help with the opteron CPUs and dual motherboards. Only experience with dual systems that I have is now old dual PIII (2x933Mhz) so I hope that you'll understand me :)
Thank you!

P.S.
Don't need latest hottest and also the most expensive stuff :))

splintah
12-06-2004, 11:06 PM
if you do not want to get the latest and greatest then you should have a look at the athlon xp
they are really cheap right now
especially if you get the athlon xp mobile (which run as mp in most mobos without mod)

there is however the fsb problem with dual athlons

is there any comparison (benchmark) on dual athlon vs dual opertons ???????????????????

mirkoj
12-06-2004, 11:12 PM
When I said latest what I meant was that I'm not looking for the top speed CPUs but one step lower will also do. Latest are always overpriced, little diference in speed and big in price.

Problem is that I'm not sure which opteron is latest so don't know which one to serch for :))

mirkoj
12-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Ok, I need info on this motherboard:
Tyan Thunder K8S (S2880GNR)

And AMD Opteron OSA146BOX 2.00 GHz s-940 1024Kb

Anything good?
Thank you

majestic
12-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Opertons 1xx run in single cpu mode only
Opertons 2xx run in dual cpu mode
Opertons 8xx run in up to 8-way configurations

So in your case, you should be looking at Operton 246 or something, not 146

el_diablo
12-07-2004, 04:07 PM
I am in the same situation as you, building a new workstation in January. As far as my preferences, I like quiet and small computers, as quiet and small as they can be. After some research I settled on a SFF by Iwill - ZmaxDP. Its dual Opteron based on Nvidia nForce 3 chipset. Goes for about 700 in Belgium for SFF. It looks expensive but if you add expenses for similar 'normal' computer - good motherboard, cooling and good Big tower case you get to about the same price.

Only problem is that only way to buy it (I'm from Croatia) is mail order with shipping and other related expenses.

As far as Tyan boards are concerned, Tyan is suppose to produce a PCIe board soon with two nForce chipsets which could max out two slots for SLI at 16x and more bandwidth to spare. So...that might be worth waiting for.

If you are interested in more budget oriented approach, currenty dual Xeon machines are less expensive so you could get like good Supermicro board with PCIe and two 3.2 Xeons for less than price of Tyan MB (AGP one) + dual 246 (2.0 Ghz) Opterons.

cedevita limun
12-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Only problem is that only way to buy it (I'm from Croatia) is mail order with shipping and other related expenses.

That goes for just about any 2-Opteron board. I'm considering getting the whole setup at Autroinic. All they have is an MSI K&T Master2 FAR (app. 240€) + 2x242 (510€). It would be nice to get one with nvidia chipset, but I don't know if I'd go w/ anything more expensive at this point anyway.

What graphc card are you getting? Also, considering the board doesn't have sound, should just about any Sound Blaster card do the job with video editing?

el_diablo
12-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Bok!

You are better off getting an Usb based audio card, at least my friend (who has used a whole lot of different hardware for custom built editing/vfx/3d workstations) swears by them. Just be sure to get good brand. Autronic is a good firm imho, never had any problems with them. Just be sure to check out lab2k also (http://www.lab-2k.com/) (http://www.lab-2k.com/), becouse you might get a better deal pricewise - at least for processors.

Since the SFF is AGP based I will prolly get a 6800GT. There is no point in spending too much money on hardware at this point in time, since dual core processors and whole lot of other goodies are just around the corner.

Myliobatidae
12-08-2004, 07:26 PM
wow, i was not even aware that the 1XXX opterons were for single machines, I'm glad I read this post before I bought some, I had always assumed that all opterons were SMP, now that brings up an interesting question : why would you buy an opteron single, rather than an AMD64...

lots
12-09-2004, 06:53 AM
To save money, or you may want to build a cluster. Or, you want a single CPU system, and well.. 1xx opterons of similar speeds are generally cheaper than the Athlon64/FX equivelent ;)

mirkoj
12-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Uff....
Does anybody knows is this xeon capable for dual mode or every xeon is:
INTEL BX80546KG3000EA-800FSB Pentium-4 XEON 3.0GHz

mirkoj
12-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Going around and around and just geting more confused every minut.
Please guys, just give me recomendation: one for dual xeon CPU+motherboard and estimate price and one for opteron CPU + mother board and estimate price. Please, I;m going crazy here :))))

cedevita limun
12-10-2004, 12:22 PM
El_diablo, first of all thanx for that lab-2k link, it was really helpful. Found a subsidiary of theirs in Split where I live. Prices are similar as Autronic's, but they have have a really good choice of AMD workstation components so I think I'll go with them.
Mirkoj maybe you should narrow down your options somewhat because a range of options and prices is really wide and one gets lost easily. If you want an entry level option like I am, than you may look into Opterons 240 or 242 + a Tyan Tiger K8T S2875. For orientation purposes, I'll be paying about 225E for each Opteron + app. 225E for the motherboard. I don't know what the nforce4 Tyans will go for, but if you want PCI-X and SLI with it, than you should at least double the price of S2875.

mirkoj
12-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Thnx cedvita limun, that is what I'm looking for :)
Just I haven't find tiger K8T but there is Tiger K8W (S2875) and it looks great.
Now just to see if they have it in melcomp :)))
about CPU... 240 and 242, where can I find more info about them?
Thank you

cedevita limun
12-10-2004, 05:08 PM
It's K8W, my mistake.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_8796_9240,00.html is probably a good place to start. There's basic info on the Opteron processors, how models compare to each other, reccomended hardware to go with them etc... You should also be able to find plenty of reviews on the net. Sites like pcstats.com, anandtech.com have probably tested them at some point.

mirkoj
12-10-2004, 05:26 PM
thank you!
And if prices are in that rate then... jupiii :))
thank you again

mirkoj
12-10-2004, 05:53 PM
just one more thing... is there comparison chart for opteron and xeon CPUs?

opteron 2.00Ghz is like what xeon model?

MadMax
12-10-2004, 07:01 PM
just one more thing... is there comparison chart for opteron and xeon CPUs?

opteron 2.00Ghz is like what xeon model?
check this thread:

Opteron vs Xeon data (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=193072)

there are a number of bits of information regarding the benefits of Opteron.

And if you can afford it, go for at least dual 246's

mirkoj
12-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Ok, I've found realy nice motherboard: Tyan Tiger S2885ANRF.

Also with it I'll get first only one Opteron 250 CPU, and later another.
Just thinking... 250 is almost double price of the 246... is there realy so much diference?

I'm getting everything from eWiz, it's my first online hardware shoping so I hope that everything will be ok :)
Thank you for your help!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.