PDA

View Full Version : Quick grouping question

JGomez3d
12-06-2004, 06:36 PM
I'm having problems grouping objects. When i group them it keeps their original pivot so when I try to rotate, scale etc I end up with a mess of objects rotating this way and that. I know I am doing something wrong somewhere just dunno where. I am using Ctr G to group objects, but I cant find any options regarding seting one universal pivot on the object. The only way I have found to make it work how I want to is to parent the objects, but that's not really how I want it.

Any help would be really apreciated

Thanks in advance

-JG

comanche
12-06-2004, 07:26 PM
If you don't want to parent the objects to a null, simply multi-select them and make shure that "COG" in the transform toolbar is turned on. Now the multiselected objects are using the center of gravity of the selection as the pivot for manipulations like scale and rotate. Alt + click to set the pivot somewhere else ..

Cheers,
Andreas

Ablefish
12-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Bear in mind that the ALT pivot and COG mode are for interactive transformations - they won't help if you're wanting to animate the selection of objects.

Groups in XSI are different from Maya - they don't have a transformation node. They're more like a selection set. You can apply properties, materials, deformations, overrides, etc to a group and all the members will inherit that element.

For what you're looking for, you'll either want to parent your objects to a null (or one of the objects), or pose constrain them (with constraint compensation ON) to a null if you don't want to change the hierarchy.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.