PDA

View Full Version : Sam and Max Revival?

RobertoOrtiz
12-06-2004, 06:18 PM
SOUECE: SLASHDOT (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/06/1559205&tid=202)

QUOTE:

"Q: Rumor has it that Bad Brain is attempting to acquire the rights to Sam & Max: Freelance Police. What can you say about that? A: No comment (I signed an NDA). All I can say is: yes, we are talking to LucasArts about a game that might involve animals, but that's all folks!""

>>Link<< (http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,458)

_R

Artbot
12-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Talk is cheap. Maybe they can re-use the assets from the last finished but unreleased Sam & Max game.

Seriously, I wonder what makes them think that a new one will be more marketable than the previous sequel, which was never released due to high marketing costs vs. potential profits.

rendermania
12-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Interesting. Would have thought that the original Sam & Max plus the reputation of other Lucasarts adventures would be enough to sell this one as well. Maybe I'm wrong and adventure games really are dead.

KevinKraeer
12-06-2004, 11:40 PM
I think for any IP to move forward and remain marketable, the characters and the world they inhabit need to evolve.

I didn't know that a sequel was finished! But anyway, I think if they make the leap to 3D they could do some great things with the way the characters and their world are rendered, and it would mean all new kinds of gags and stuff.

As we all remember, Sam N Max was 50% hilarity.

Artbot
12-07-2004, 06:33 PM
I didn't know that a sequel was finished! But anyway, I think if they make the leap to 3D they could do some great things with the way the characters and their world are rendered, and it would mean all new kinds of gags and stuff.

As far as I know, the never-to-be-released sequel was done in 3D. Same with Full Throttle 2. A new version of FT2 was done in 3D and was just weeks away from being shippable, and was canned, too. It's sad when a company has such weak marketing for their products that it's actually cheaper to just shelve a product than to release it and spend a couple hundred thousand more on advertising and store displays. They probably already spent a few million on the development, what's another half million to find out if they have a hit? Or maybe they royally sucked and they knew it was hopeless to try marketing a turd. Who knows.

Renzsu
12-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Well from the hints that I read it was a really funny game this sequel.. I hope this one gets through, it's horrible to work on , finishing it and then see it binned?

Vampyr Story is also made from ex-lucasarts members who worked on The Curse of Monkey Island I believe, what screenshots I saw looked really nice and moody (2d animated).

Brettzies
09-16-2005, 05:49 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/news_6133326.html?tag=lastword_pc_headline

Long-standing calls for more adventure gaming fun starring the duo have yet to be fully answered, but indie developer Telltale Games last night announced that it has acquired the rights to the careless crimefighters and will be creating all-new adventure games based on the exploits of the canine-lagomorph tandem. Few details are available at the moment, but it has been confirmed that the games will be released in an episodic format.
Looks like Telltale Games got something going. Not sure about the whole episodic format, but who knows. Will be cool to see what they do with it since they are the guys from Lucasarts.

DorkmanScott
09-16-2005, 05:55 PM
A friend of mine was working at LucasArts while they were developing S&M2 (<-ha!); he had never heard of Sam and Max but he told me the dialogue they'd recorded was some of the funniest stuff he had ever heard.

I love Sam and Max, both the comics and the kid's TV show (which followed the comics with a faithfulness that was nearly disturbing, since it was in fact supposed to be for kids), and would love to see more of this IP.

Ninjamonk
09-16-2005, 06:17 PM
I think the reason lucas dropped it was the rights ran out to it this year and they would of had to pay for the rights to it when the game would have been only have way through development. The rights owner would have had them bang to rights and could have charged a lot.

I am playing bone at the moment buy the guys who are going to make it and I think they have some great talent for this sort of game.

Boone
09-16-2005, 08:42 PM
The other thing to remember is that the longer they leave it( to make a new S&M game ), the harder it will be to sell it. If memory serves me well, the original was released back in 93 or 94 - thats over a decade ago.

The only praise will be by word-of-mouth as the younger generation today aren't actually able to purchase the game and I think it only ran on DOS( they always ask "Whats DOS?" )...

Also, LucasArts isn't exactly the leading company anymore - you can't exactly use the whole "another fantastic quality title from LucasArts!" marketing pitch...

S&M is actually one of the few LucasArts graphic adventures that I missed out on - maybe they should re-release it for the windows systems! :bounce:

yogisaint
09-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Telltale Games announced that they have obtained the rights to Sam and Max!

Borjis
09-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know why they dropped Full Throttle 2?

That was the other title they axed at the same time as sam & max.

I was really looking forward to it. Full Throttle was a VERY fun game.
A sequel would have been a sure hit imo.

Boone
09-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Re: Borjis.

The bunnies and the mine field had me in stiches! I'm definetly up for a new game. :applause:

Brettzies
09-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah man, Full Throttle was it! Love the design of that game. Was that a Tim Schaefer game? They split off and formed Double Fine. If you like these kinds of games you might want to check out DoubleFine's Psychonauts. Has some plaformer type stuff in it which I wasn't crazy about, but the design, look, and comedy was worth playing through for me.

It was a sad day when Full Throttle 2 and Sam&Max2 were cancelled, guess they just thought there wasn't a market for it. Gotta remember to check out that Bone game when I get home.

-Vormav-
09-17-2005, 02:11 AM
S&M is actually one of the few LucasArts graphic adventures that I missed out on - maybe they should re-release it for the windows systems! :bounce:

Just thought I'd mention it, but if you grab ScummVM from http://www.scummvm.org/ , you can run all of the older DOS-based LucasArts games (Sam&Max, Day of the Tentacle) pretty flawlessly in Windows XP, provided that you own a copy of the original games. I used it to play through DOTT, S&M, and Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis recently - all great games!

Harry D'Amour
09-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Yeay! More adventure games to the people! :thumbsup: I need my point-and-click games, the last one was Syberia 2 and The Longest Journey. I want more :bounce: ...

JeroenDStout
09-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I think I played "Sam and Max hit the road" on an emulator - along with a pall, for the harder puzzles. I really laughed more than usual, the humour was just spot on for me.

Well, adventures - there's Myst 5, but as Nietszche should've said: "Myst is dead". I wish they'd give it a dignifying death, really. Ah well. Well, I've got an adventure in the works :deal:

AJ
09-17-2005, 01:07 PM
This makes me happy.

How happy..?

Extremely happy.

NOOB!
09-17-2005, 02:51 PM
i remember sam and max hit the road,and day of the tentacle,they where really cool!!i still have em actually.

ReBootedOne
09-17-2005, 05:09 PM
I am an enormous adventure game nerd and specifically a Monkey Island freak. I've played Secret of Monkey Island literally at least 30 times through, and I just love it... Haven't had much Sam and Max experience, but I got excited for this one... Then it got cancelled... And now I'm happy again. :)

I also played Tim Shafer's 'Psychonauts;' easily one of the best games I have ever played.

-eric

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2005, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.