PDA

View Full Version : GAC 11: Wong Fei Hung, chinese martial artist/folk hero

ill_logic
12-06-2004, 03:41 PM
just staking a claim, think he lends himself the best to something like this. the decision now is whether i want to go with one of the millions of film versions (my personal favorite is jackie in legend of drunken master :D) or just design him from scratch & get creative with it. for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Fei_Hung
http://www.kungfucinema.com/articles/2001-04-08-01.htm

more soon. i hope.
-J

ill_logic
12-06-2004, 06:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/kurocrash/Wong-Fei-Hung-Concept.jpg
name: Wong Fei Hung
hair:black
eyes:brown
height:5'10
weight:135 lbs
style: self-taught mixture of several chinese wu shu styles
weapon:still working on that; a chinese broadsword and/or gourd?!
story: as a student of medicine in late nineteenth century china, wong fei hung's strict father prevented him from learning martial arts. but being a kid of the streets, fei hung learned all that he needed to know. his style was a patch work of several others but he prefers using his own tiger-crane system. it was also on these same streets where he saw the harsh policies of the oppressive local government in action. rebelliously, he started attacking the corrupt & helping out the less fortunate.
--
there's my concept & a little bit on the character. in that sketch, i plan on having some nice silk type embroidery or something of that nature, especially on his top. as for his hairline, you'll not it's back a bit. i guess that was just sort of the style, take a look at a picture of jet li's wong fei hung in the 'once upon a time in china' series for a better idea of what i was going for. i just kind of altered it because i figured that historically rebellious figures would be like punks today lol
that's all for now, more soon
-J

loner86
12-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Excellent choice! Look forward to seeing what you can come up with.

levin
12-07-2004, 09:14 PM
nice nice cool choice of character... ill go for the gourd... great idea man with prolly a small cup...

i love chinese martial art characters

the_podman
12-07-2004, 10:14 PM
You could always go with the old Kwan tak king version, if you wanted to take him in the "old" wong fei hong direction. He'd be similar to GEN from SF Alpha 2.

-pod

ill_logic
12-07-2004, 11:31 PM
thanks loner86, levin, & podman!
i started feeling out the model, just some basic shapes, nothing worth showing just yet. i'm going for the same sort of 'stylizing' as the sketch, but he looks a little too stubby there i think (i was running out of paper before i got to the feet :D the legs seem short)

levin - yeah the more i think about it, the more i lean towards the gourd idea. shouldn't be a problem getting a decent poly count with it, trying to get it rounded out. i'll think about a cup but i kind of like the idea of him just leaning back & drinking straight from the gourd (though i don't necessarily want to go the full on drunken boxing thing).

podman - i was thinking about the gen angle (as he's my third favorite character in alpha 3 :D), but i really wasn't familiar with those films and their version of the character so that's why i kinda settled between the jackie & jet li versions. maybe if there is time i could do a 'alternate costume' or something of that nature.

more soon! thanks for the comments & ideas!

ill_logic
01-15-2005, 07:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/kurocrash/Wong-Fei-Hung-wip001.jpg
sorry... i started a new full time job & didn't get to work on this for a bit... and then i didnt' like it so i started over. anyway this is what i have so far. i'm still modeling. the colors are different shaders, not textures. just to give an idea of what i was going for. proportion wise, i was going to shoot for something like samurai champloo (elongated & agile looking). i know it's not much, but any thoughts?

-J

MackTheKnife
01-15-2005, 08:11 PM
So you're going with the Drunken Master style Wong Fei Hung?

I was thinking about doing Wong Fei Hong at one point, and I really liked the way Jet Li did it in OUATIC (Although it looked nothing like Hung Gar as Fei Hong was so well known for). Really like the concept so far though, great work, keep it up.

ill_logic
01-16-2005, 03:36 AM
macktheknife - i was actually thinking of a hung gar style. i just saw that other people were including weapons with their fighters. originally it was between that & a sword, but gourds are just kind of interesting, you know? lol so maybe a drunken hung gar, but i didn't look to play it up nearly as much as like drunken master. i have some generic hung gar pose references but didn't he develop sort of his own off-shoot style using a few crane techniques or something? maybe i misread something. at any rate, thanks!

-J

Zabian
02-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Lol yeah that one needs work ill_logic.

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.