PDA

View Full Version : They Came From The Sea, Danny Falch (3D)

dannyfalch
12-06-2004, 01:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/79888/79888_1102338637_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/79888/79888_1102338637.jpg)

Title: They Came From The Sea
Name: Danny Falch
Software: (Other), VIZ

Originaly made for a 3d contest at 3dmaxer.dk
It's a clasic story, the machines has taken over the world, giant robofish has melted the poles and flooded the planet, i know i sounds a bit far out...
Idea about the rendering is to give it a movieposterlike feel something between painting and rendering and a very blue image with very clear water to show as mouch city as posible and little algee to let the poster stand sharp and clear, nice and cold water.

Here are some wip, inspiration and wire pix.

bodywire (http://www.dannyfalch.dk/dfo/bodymap.jpg)
real fish (http://www.dannyfalch.dk/dfo/orange.jpg)
wip (http://www.dannyfalch.dk/dfo/r1.jpg)
wip (http://www.dannyfalch.dk/dfo/r2.jpg)
wip (http://www.dannyfalch.dk/dfo/f3.jpg)
wire (http://www.dannyfalch.dk/dfo/wire_c.jpg)

apocalypseneon
12-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Great work man, i like it a lot!!!
Personally, I would have made building a little destroyed, but anyway :bounce:

BigLarry
12-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Although it's not a major thing for the image but the car model is very angular.

I think you need to do more with the water to give it volume, at the moment it just isn't being water for me.

Good work with the buildings and the robofish.

BL

rmsmedia
12-06-2004, 03:26 PM
awesome! Really cool concept and great execution, it feels a touch too crisp though, maybe a touch of dof would help. Otherwise its really nice! Reminds me of the movie AI mixed with Bicentenial Man.

Edit: I agree the water is too clear, maybe some particular matter and pullin in the depth for a bit.

mimo8
12-06-2004, 04:32 PM
bubbles, bubbles .. give me some bubbles

simonenastasi
12-06-2004, 04:53 PM
very nice! I'd say 2 things:
-water it's too "clean", maybe adding micro thingies floating would help. Also a little bit more light falloff maybe?
-tha tail of the big fish seems cutted, since i did understand that it was beyond the building. Maybe some shadow (or just less light) on the tail ?
Btw great rendering!

pum
12-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Great job!
But the fishes look like floating in the air instead of swimming. Maybe distort some part of the image? or even water bubbles might help.

EdHarriss
12-06-2004, 06:38 PM
- I really like the image, you've got a great imagination.
- I agree witht what has been said about the bubbles/more worn buildings/dof/too clean
- I think it would be interesting if the fish had some dim lights on them, maybe the eyes?

tlggungor
12-06-2004, 06:49 PM
very well I like rhis image.fish is very good

would you like to see my concepts & sketches

Hettinger
12-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Perfect - I wouldn't change a thing - DOF is getting too cliche and the buildings don't need any damage IMO.

superlayer
12-06-2004, 07:38 PM
3d-empire: Great great work. I like the mood and the composition. Interesting and original piece.

Tillykke med frontpage!!!, Hvilken konkurrence var det? Jeg hænger ud på 3dsmaxer.dk en gang imellem, men har desværre ikke set denne.
:) Fiskene er for seje.

thesuit
12-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Cool render man...
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

JoeB2C
12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
wow, that looks really nice. Very nice lighting btw, really looks deepsea. GJ

Latter
12-06-2004, 08:24 PM
I think already mentioned this on 3dmaxer.dk but I really like you picture. Nice idea, lighting and composition.
The only thing I think you should have changed was to add a bit more detail to the cars and the seafloor. :thumbsup:

pearson
12-06-2004, 08:27 PM
I love the idea behind this piece, but there isn't enough reality in it when you compare it to how photorealistic the style is. The clearest water isn't that clear, and things floating in the water would give much better depth and greater mystery (a bonus, imho). Also, greater variance in lights and darks would help break the "render" feel.

I also agree that the buildings should have some damage/decay. The windows even still have curtains for goodness sake. At least in textures you could show (rather cheaply) some wear on the buildings. As it looks now I expect someone to poke their head out of the window and wave at people walking by on the street...

@Hettinger - Depth of Field is cliche? In a realistic rendering, how could DoF be bad if it isn't over done?

toce
12-06-2004, 08:28 PM
great work! the only thing is... It feels like we're in the air, not under water... even if the water is supposed to be clear, I think it lacks some particles, maybe slightly fog or dof... It doesn't need big changes to be neer from perfect!

dannyfalch
12-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Hi all,..

Thanks for the nice words and critiqes,.
I wanted to have the sceene look reasently flooded, and the buildings not destroyed, the city should look slowly flooded,. the robofish came from the sea, so no city fighting.. :)
I have 3 layers of algee and dirt in the water but i turned down to make the image very clear and cold. I tryed vith some bubbles at some point but droped the idea again, it didn't look good and there were nothing that would create bubbles, the scene has a bit of dof and fog but again very little,.
i'm glad you like it,. floating robofish in blue discolight,. :)
About the 3d contest at 3dmaxer.dk, it won the contest and the price was the realtexture library,.(contest called "it came from the sea")
o' and yes i did see AI a few times to get in the underwater spirit..

xcvbnm
12-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Superb Render.... 3d-Empire :thumbsup:
The fish and all other models and textures are really outstanding. [Except the cars, they are clones ;}]
If you rearrange the scene slighlty so that there is more depth in z-direction, it'd look better IMO. I also notice that there are no shadows or very light ones.
Good work ...:love:

Cameo
12-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Really nice piece of work. Love the ambience. The only thing I would add would maybe be some underwater plants and greenery that have started growing on the architecture. The statue would definately benefit from something like that I think. That is unless the flooding has happened recently??

Darko11
12-06-2004, 09:21 PM
wow i loveeee the design/look of the large fish. great piece

zenigeva
12-06-2004, 09:50 PM
holy crap very cool! great job!! only comment is to perhaps add some volumetric fog and squeeze the depth of field to make it more underwater-like. maybe some caustics playing against the surfaces.

JohnBruk
12-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Wery good idea and atmosphere!...Super design mech-fishs :-) I like this peace..

oxyg3n
12-06-2004, 09:55 PM
I like the image. And I know that there is water that clear in the real world. Did you know that Lake Tahoe is the 3rd clearest lake in the world and you can see over 168 feel straight down into it. I have been there numerous times, it is amazing to be out on a boat and you can see straight to the bottom at shallower parts. It is like your are floating.

webhead
12-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Great job! I love both the fish and the virtual city.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

miguelf
12-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Superb Work ... well done
Great enviroment and imagination ... a piece of art

Congrats http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

SteveNewport
12-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Like others, I think you could do a lot more with this image. I don't think that showing the city as much as possible is really the right focus. The focus is not the city, the focus is the flood and the machines that caused it. You can't just give the viewer everything, especially in a piece of this nature. I doubt there would be very much sunlight coming through with how deep the water would be if the world flooded, and I don't think it would be clean either with all the loose dirt and rubble that exists on dry land. It would have so much volume to the point where you could only see the bases of the nearest buildings, leaving a whole lot more mystery and imagination to the viewer. And the destruction of the city as well, floating trash; broken, collapsed buildings; (depending how long it's been since the flood) lots of overgrowth of sea-grime all over the structures. This piece has a lot of potential, but for the potential to succeed I think it will require some more time and work on it. potentially really good piece, good luck!
take care

TraceR
12-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Wow, nice job. Love the idea. How did you think that one up? Good render. :thumbsup:

dannyfalch
12-07-2004, 12:34 AM
hmmm,.. i just noticed that the picture looks different on gfxartist.com,
i think i over compressed it for the post,. rats..
i'll upload the uncompressed image and link it, it's a lot more smooth,...
here we go..
http://www.3d-empire.dk/dfo/finalcgtalk.jpg

JRBRAZ
12-07-2004, 01:10 AM
WOW!!! Very creative work. Good idea and Conclusion.

DeepGreenJungle
12-07-2004, 02:12 AM
I don't think you need bubbles or specs or murk or anything like that. This is great, highly bitchin. Just because somebody somewhere has a checklist of things that make something look underwater, doesn't mean that every successful underwater image needs those things.

Positive notes:

I really like the blue thing you've got going on.
The light rays are also working very well for you.
The fading detail and contrast with depth is rockin.

I'd watch that movie.

ColdJaguar
12-07-2004, 02:14 AM
Hi there,

Great work, but like mention in other post, it need improvement. At first when i looked at it i thought that they we're flying machine, not until i red your description that i look back and saw the light playing thru the water, so from there i would make the water more dirtyer, less transparant as you goo deep. Putting some breaks on building and having broken windows would show more i think that the city has been flooded. Like in the movie The day after tomorrow. The texturing is very good but would still put dirt all around, since flood brings alot of it usally.

With all the improvement your great work would look even better. Congratulation for the frontpage.

Ollarin
12-07-2004, 02:54 AM
Damn! Nice work!

For some reason it reminds me of Half Life 2. No idea why. :/

alvaro0o
12-07-2004, 02:59 AM
these big fished would defenitly cause some damages to building even if they are so civilized:)
i would love it without the cars, they are so sharp, fished are very nice designed

alkhobarspecial
12-07-2004, 03:09 AM
wow. this is a really nice image. I think i agree with the people who have said that it could be pushed much further though. the way the city is right now it is almost as if it was built underwater. the buildigns are fine. there are still trees planted. the cars are not toppled over. the statue is still in good shape. the force of the water from the polar caps melting would be immense. at least thats how i would imagine it. if you wanted a reference there is a lake near new braunfels texas. i believe it is Canyon lake, not positive though. It is a man made lake that has debris at the bottom. people scuba dive there and see abandoned gas station and city signs. if you can find anyone's pictures of that , probably would be a good reference.

HenningK
12-07-2004, 04:59 AM
I like the robofish design, but the image is just too monotone and not detailed enough. It doesn't really look like its underwater yet, and how long has this place been underwater? Not long it seems, if the cars and buildings are still in perfect repair.
-hen

deathblood
12-07-2004, 05:16 AM
go go go go fishing....
Great builds.....and lighthttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

Adeel Bukhari
12-07-2004, 09:30 AM
i like everything in the scene but my fav. is lighting. nice color too adding a moode in the pic.

grt work.

bouhic
12-07-2004, 09:54 AM
I like the lighting
but maybe some parts need more contrast like the big fish and the statue
I don't now about the bubbles but maybe you can add some particles

andyspence
12-07-2004, 10:15 AM
This is great work! I like the fish designs.
My quibble is with the cars apparently in the spot where their owners left them and the lack of debris on the sea floor. Even if the city did flood slowly, the current in the water would have moved the cars or at least rolled a couple over? However, nice piece!

-Q

Jameslsy
12-07-2004, 10:32 AM
I think that the idea is great and really magical... reminds me of Atlantis : the lost empire

andyspence
12-07-2004, 11:19 AM
This is great work! I like the fish designs.
My quibble is with the cars apparently in the spot where their owners left them and the lack of debris on the sea floor. Even if the city did flood slowly, the current in the water would have moved the cars or at least rolled a couple over? Anyways, nice piece!

-Q

Koen86
12-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Heey, This looks very nice!
but the building are to clean, i would do a little dirt mapping on the buiding! Then its awesome! keep up the good work!

Greetz Koen

zero-bALANce
12-07-2004, 02:51 PM
The robotic fish are superb. The lighting is a bit odd... but then again so is the idea of large robotic fish swimming about through main street, no? I dig it.

dannyfalch
12-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Hmm,. i think I'll spend the hollydays this x-mas givin' the scene a facelift,..

I have some ideas for a short as well, not sure I'll find the time to do it without my family killing me..:scream:

paladin6303
12-07-2004, 05:30 PM
When I first saw this on the header i had to do a double take, the fish are so similar to ones I produced in a class project a few years ago. If I get the time I'll dig the image out of my archives and post. I've been thinking about revisiting the concept, but these are so close to the design revision I was considering that I'll drop them from the project.

Agree with the others about the water, the car, and the buildings, but still worth a header for the overall feel and concept, which I'm obviosly partial to.

Mahlikus
12-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Great work yes. But it does need some texture work to age the buildings...alge and barnicle and what have you. Plus particles in the water, too clean right now. Plus DOF too. I mean don't get me wrong..it would take me forever to pull this off so kudos on the skills bud. Just needs more to sell the scene...thats all.

Cheers

aliasali
12-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Hey nice concept u got there,but the cars are so low on polygons!
anyway nice idea!

Bille
12-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Really nice work... Nice seeing danish artists doing well :thumbsup: Saw it on www.3dmaxer.dk (http://www.3dmaxer.dk) and
was really impressed... Så godt arbejde.. glæder mig til at se dit næste værk!...

agades
12-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Great work, good mood :)

hrgiger
12-08-2004, 03:57 AM
It's a clasic story, the machines has taken over the world, giant robofish has melted the poles and flooded the planet, i know i sounds a bit far out...
Hmmm, were those giant roofish creatures also known as....MANKIND?

It's really nice, I would just say the city seems a little too undamaged to have suffered such a great deluge.

KoPanda
12-08-2004, 05:17 AM
Great work!!

But I think it would be more interesting if the water is not that clear and the the background props, like the cars and the bunch of smail fishes, have higher level of deatils.

Kwun.

andlam
12-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Too clean, in such depth in the water, we will not expect the water to be this clear.

Tilstrom
12-08-2004, 06:43 AM
great work man, very nicely done. :)

larsgehrt
12-08-2004, 11:28 AM
To: paladin6303 (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=41172)

I know 3D-empire, and I know for a fact that he´s never seen your project or your so called fish. I think its sad that you post such a reply because you think he´s taken your idea and made it his own.

Actually i think that many people have thought about making a robot fish, also like many people are making a robotic things out of anything that is organic, and also has been seen a 100 times before. (but not the fish).

Great picture 3D-empire and a really great idea with these doomsdayfishes. You know what i think of the picture, it could be much more grand and movie like if your work with it a bit more...

See ya dude...

paladin6303
12-08-2004, 02:11 PM
larsgehrt,

With all due respect, I never said, nor was it my intent to imply that someone from Aarhus, Denmark had copied my design for a mechanical fish done years ago for a class project in Madison, Wisconsin. 3d-empire's design was similar to something I had produced, so it surprised me, the only thing I was saying was that I appreciated the execution of the concept. I hope that this clarifies any misunderstanding.

best regards,
Al

larsgehrt
12-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Ok, misunderstanding is gone.

Cheers...

THUNDER-STUDIO
12-08-2004, 05:09 PM
i like the idea very much!! cool stuff! keep it on man!

psandenor
12-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Nice looking fishes, I think they would be cool to have as a plastic model. :)

Ecleposs
12-09-2004, 03:53 AM
great work...
i think the guys b4 me coverd all what need to be said
very great Environment too:thumbsup:

Elendil_le_Grand
12-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Yes it's very nice !

I like it ;)

coolgauss
12-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Wow, very cool work!

i like your lighting and rendering, it is absolutely cool.

一张报纸
12-10-2004, 03:14 AM
Wow, very cool work!

Wow, very cool work!

evandaeman
12-10-2004, 11:47 PM
wow this is awsome :)

Agiv3D
12-11-2004, 11:09 AM
I

I like i!!! great design!

lotaH
12-12-2004, 01:55 AM
Good, Good Idea! Congratulations! The lights are perfect!

You can show the configurations of the lights?

Good Work! :applause:

Apollo13c
12-12-2004, 09:34 AM
It's very interesting:bounce:

Mr. Will
12-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Very nice!

Excellent use of lighting. I enjoy the irony of the statue, a celebration of the triumph of man now a fleeting curiosity for an armada of maurading fish robots.
I also agree with some of the previous critics and think some algea and texture filling might better tell the story of the flood. Even if it was an instantaneous deluge, there would still be a tsunami to cause some damage. If the cars are rusted, shouldn't the streetlights be as well?
Keep up the good work.

scottamis_prime
12-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Visualy i think it is awsome. As was mentioned before though i do think that the car is a bit boxy and needs that real world beveled edge. also i didnt get the story from the picture, i thought that the robotic fish were vehicals, like submarines, for people to travle in the post apocalyptic world. Good job though!

Alekto
12-13-2004, 12:00 PM
really nice.. but i missing the water feeling...

inky2
12-14-2004, 01:50 PM
I like it-so mysterious and strange ...May be add a bit transprency of water and sun.And the bilgings make older a bit with algaes.Good luck!

Tetra84
12-14-2004, 11:40 PM
weird. but cool.

Jackbull
12-15-2004, 08:55 PM
That looks great,
I might have put some moss or algae on the tree branchesor on the floor of the sea.
Maybe make the water a little more foggy to give it some depth or um.. volume.

shiela_G
12-17-2004, 04:08 PM
it's wierd but i like the way it. tha it so sweeeet.

miit
12-20-2004, 07:35 PM
really it is very awesome.

MikeSchley
12-21-2004, 07:12 AM
Wonderfully odd. :thumbsup:
One critique though; It would be nice to see a little more weathering on the buildings. They just seem a little too pristine for the context.

Taxisky
12-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Realy nice work. like ur rendering, nice atmosfere.

alienesque
12-24-2004, 04:11 PM
wow!!..really cool..one thing though...if the world was flooded so quickly that the people didnt have time to drive there cars to the nearest pub;-) then id think that some of the cars at least would have been swept away before coming to a stand still...id flip a few over or put some on their side..or maybe leaning against a wall or something...could give this now tranquil scene some violent history.

otherwise..i love it :thumbsup:

Hooch
12-28-2004, 10:26 AM
I Like the RoboFish a lot but I'm missing the bubbles...

b00bie
12-28-2004, 11:02 PM
what an amazing atmosphere

very cool idea

JackZhang
12-31-2004, 09:58 AM
nice shades. even it doesn't really look like underwater

DarthAltar
01-01-2005, 01:43 AM
Amazing idea, I absolutely love the giant mechanical fish. It sort of reminds me of "Big O" (a sub par anime that debued on Adult Swim).

I think that you should do another one of these in the same style, but with a city that is above the water and have a giant mech walking through the city with some of your own special ideas added into it.

If you make the mech really origional it could become a very interesting piece.

brooklynfl
01-02-2005, 04:22 PM
were the big fish attacking the city? if so, the building shoubld be destroyed!

warthog
01-03-2005, 03:25 AM
Great work indeed! but i would have put some erosion on the biulding, anhd adding more sludg or coral would look cool too. anyway it looks graet man!!!

:thumbsup:

yann moalic
01-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Big fishes are exelent, good concept!
The building should be more destroyed!

Ramteen
01-07-2005, 12:19 AM
nice job :thumbsup:
good luck

pangmans
01-07-2005, 03:43 AM
excellent imagery, and superb theme. bravo.

ZJR
01-07-2005, 03:54 AM
Amazing work, keep it up! by the way how long did this take for you to do?

allankiipli
01-07-2005, 09:18 AM
The idea of this painting is great. I love it a lot. Id liked to see the idea even more brought up.
I dont agree with the opinions of others that the waters surround must be more obvious. And please leave the buildings as they are. To bring up the point, id remove the small fishes, and pivot the big ones a little: to add some real sense them flowing and searching between the buildings across the high streets: so to make a really creepy feel of an collision of two worlds: the human one and the fishes one (non-human).

snwbrdn7
01-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Wow! Great idea. So this is how Atlantis came to be. They were flooded by an evil group of Robotic Alien fish. It's coming together now. It's not quite a mystery anymore. Just kidding, but great job. I hope to do a Matte painting as good as this someday.:thumbsup:

dif2find
01-10-2005, 03:14 AM
Cool concept....real cool.... but i think you could add some air bubble
.... to make the ocean depth look alive.... anyway great work.

Raytrace_Man
01-11-2005, 03:01 AM
Great re-hashed idea done in an original way.

Nice buildings. Nice render. Robotic Fish? Who ever heard of such a thing?!?! ;0)

-RAy

((Forgive my humor. Every now and then SOMEONE is offended by it. I mean no harm)

feysless
01-11-2005, 01:44 PM
wow!cool work....u hit the movie poster feel right.and the colors are great.
i agree the bubles will help and sum floating particles..take alook at sum stills
of pixars finding nemo and u will see how they used the distortion of color in water and particles to give the water volume and movement.other wise an inspiring piece.

dannyfalch
01-12-2005, 01:49 AM
Hi all,...

Thanks for nice words and crits.
I have spend this christmas updating the scene with bubbles, algee, new cars, new textures, billboards, a bit more debree, a subway and other details.
all based on crits from you, thanks...

Hope you like the changes.

http://www.3d-empire.dk/dfo/tcfts.jpg

bdixon
01-14-2005, 02:37 AM
I like it!! Very nice work. The cars are all the same but other than that, very good. I can see how it could make a nice movie ad like you said. Keep up the good work.

LAcrima
01-14-2005, 05:57 PM
The streets reminds me a bit of GTA3, anyway the idea and atmosphere are very nice

OTO-ACP
01-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Yop!!!...:bounce:
The idea and environment are really sympathetic!!! Beautiful work!!!... Sorry for my english!!! Oo... Good continuation!!!... :buttrock:

Dragonrebourn
02-11-2005, 03:22 AM
This is great. I like the mood most of all

djmagick
03-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Very cool.

dif2find
03-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Nice work on the touch up.... real nice....

Glab to be of help.....

gardogg
11-02-2005, 11:15 PM
I laeket ALOT! (I like it a lot) :bowdown:

pboduch
05-17-2006, 02:38 AM
Don't do crap.

It's fantastic.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2006, 02:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.