PDA

View Full Version : GAC#11: Edgar Allen Poe - Master of the Macabre

conundrum
12-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Considered one of the greatest horror writers of all time and the father of the detective novel. Poe delves into the darker side of mans nature and through this, inspires terror into all those who read his works.

Description: During one of his opium induced states Poe is transported to another realm. In this strangely familiar reality he and a small group of fellow famous authors are confronted by the literary demons which they concieved. Forced to fight in order to survive they must each overcome their greatest creations.

Character: Edgar Allen Poe
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5'8
Weight: 145 lbs

Thats it so far, still have to come up with some sort of weapon and perhaps a specific fighting style. I was considering using a pet Raven as a weapon but that might be a bit gimmicky and contradictory. Ill try and put up some concepts and more detail soon.

Pyrotechnic
12-06-2004, 12:46 PM
If you have a few tries left, give him a Raven on his shoulder ;).

eMPeck
12-06-2004, 09:20 PM
I love this idea. Poe is one of my favourite writers. Make him dark and mysterious...

conundrum
12-07-2004, 12:19 PM
thanks for the comments
A quick sketch, havnt put any colour in just yet as im not decided, just trying to get a feel for the characters size and shape etc. and so far ive worked with a short and stocky build. when making him ill try and draw the viewers interest to the head and face region as thats his most interesting and distintive feature. i might need to roll up his sleeves as well, because he currently desnt look the fighter type
http://img97.exs.cx/img97/4269/Edgar-Allen-Poesmall.jpg

conundrum
12-09-2004, 10:06 AM
this is an improved sketch and also a reference for when i begin modelling. still havnt thought of a fitting weapon. i also need to think of what i can do to ensure i make the most of the 15k limit as what i have so far probably wont provide me with enough detail, i was thinking of making a second character, possibly a raven based demon which he morphs into, a la bloody roar. any crits and suggestions are welcome

http://img69.exs.cx/img69/8766/Sketch-front.jpg

keeganb
12-09-2004, 05:29 PM
I dont know much about the guy but i like your concept sketches so far theres a nice feel to him, very moody look to him. Looking forward to seeing more.

eMPeck
12-09-2004, 08:28 PM
I like Your concept, but I don't like those Popeye-like forearms. I'd like to see 3d version soon...

keeganb_2000 - Poe is one of best goth-horror writers. He wrote The Raven, Fall of Usher and a lot more. You should read it ;)

conundrum
12-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Well, it's been a while but i finally had a chance to do some work on him today, so i decided to begin with the head. I know that the are a lot of very dense flat areas but i havn't yet had a chance to optimize it so bear with me, I believe the current polycount is 3360 tris . Also, the moustache ought to be closer the the photo when i have textured it. I will take your advice empeck and abandon the large forearms, thanks both of you for the encouragement. Any more crits and comments are welcome.

http://img149.exs.cx/img149/334/Face-1.jpg

-KDX-
12-16-2004, 03:38 PM
your model looks more like hitlet with the jaw structure and the 'stache...Edgar's came out to a point more if I remember correctly...like a little weenie mustache.

-KDX-

conundrum
12-17-2004, 01:54 PM
yeah, he does look like hitler, ive sharpened the jawline and removed the moustache ( i think ill texture it rather than model). anyway, this is my progress today on the body, im fairly pleased with it (certainly my best yet). still need to get rid of a lot of useless polys on the shoulders and biceps. the current count is 3729 tris. any more comments will be definately be helpful.
thanks

http://img142.exs.cx/img142/5076/Body-2.jpg

conundrum
12-20-2004, 03:57 AM
just some progress, ive made changes to the body and added hair to the head and joined the two. im also planning on putting a raven insignia on the shield, then to add some variety to the charaetcer im going to attempt to make the raven come out of his shield as a special attack. what i was wondering was whether i need to model the different stages of the raven leaving or just a raven on the shield and a raven of the shield. any crits and comments are also welcome
thanks
http://img98.exs.cx/img98/5076/Body-2.jpg

KolbyJukes
12-21-2004, 06:23 PM
In game they'd just have the Raven skinned flat onto the shield, then there'd be a flash or some kind of energy FX, and the raven would be fully out of the shield.

so yeah, i wouldn't model the various stages of the raven coming out of the shield.

-KDX-
12-21-2004, 07:53 PM
looks reaalllly nice.

face's 2 flat seeming, but that's the only prob...hair and body are awesome...^^

I can't wait to finally start modeling my entry...
-KDX-

Por@szek
12-21-2004, 09:25 PM
What is it, this thing on his back?? If this is a shield You could give it some ornaments in 3d. And few more details on the chest. I love modelling. Really good .

obelisk
12-22-2004, 09:30 PM
looking great conundrum! i really like the modelling and the style here. can't wait to see some texturing going on. there seems to me, to be something a little out in his proportions though. i can't quite put my finger on it, but i think that perhaps the legs are too short. and maybe the arms are too thin in the front view (compared to the side view anyway). minor points though.

keep it coming

cheers

-O

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.