PDA

View Full Version : Head Tweaking

Kaiser_Sose
08-29-2002, 01:07 PM
I am finishing up my first ever model. I had a few stublong blocks along the way but I managed to make something respectable but not spectacular

There are a few things I can improve but I no longer can tweak it to make it look right ... I just can not find the correct tweak

SOme things that bother me are the rifge in the center of the forehead, the nostrils as they meet the cheeks, the over all shape of the skull, and the eyebrow area ... they seem to low, it looks like I should pull them up. You can really see what I mean if you look at the perspective view from the side of the head

Here is a picture of the ridge

http://home.socal.rr.com/mb18/11.gif

Can any experiecned modelers please give me a hand and tell me some things I can do to tweak and improve it. I want to make it the best I can, even if it is my first model

http://home.socal.rr.com/mb18/helphead5.lwo

proton
08-29-2002, 01:30 PM
I'll take a look at it when I get to work....

proton
08-29-2002, 02:08 PM
I haveit fixed...it was those nasty 3 point polys in the center of the forehead.....My suggestion is to always stay far far away from Tri's when working in Subd......your model will thank you for it....I'm an all Quad kinda guy....Use this technique when you think you need a tri:

http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/4pointtriangles/index.html

psil
08-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Yo Kaiser

I'm not a modeling guru, but had a go anyway :shrug:My tweaks are on the left for comparison. Smoothed brow ridge, got rid of tris in middle brow and redid nostril - the pinch was caused by 7 polys sharing a point. Had to bandsaw across nose which f/ed up original polys on the right

Not ideal, but kept as much original geometry as poss. hth

nicely shaped head, btw :thumbsup:

Kaiser_Sose
08-30-2002, 06:25 AM
Hi

Thanks

That is pretty good

Can you go a little into detail how you tweaked it, the nose in particular

I didnt like the way the cheeks drooped to low so I went and tweaked that a little. I am asumming its because of bandsaw

I still think the skull just looks wierd, kinda pre historic, if you know
what I mean ... the skull is to high

Is there anything that can be done with that

Kaiser_Sose
08-31-2002, 05:47 AM
Not knowing if someone helped or not I will just post again

You know I find layout and seting up a scene [ lighting, colors, camera angle, image plane [ floor ] even tougher than modelling

I have not even opened up layout in a month while I have been modelling this head and now that the tweaking is coming to an end its time to show off the head and I am completely stuck

I really need someone to just show me how to best setup a scene. If someone could just show me once I will be on my way

I know this is a subjective thing but just pointing the camera at objects is not cutting it anymore

proton
08-31-2002, 05:51 AM
Policarpo has submited a tut that you will really like on Monday....should help you out....

Kaiser_Sose
08-31-2002, 05:54 AM
:bounce:

Nice ... what a great buch of guys and gals here

Anyine else willing to show me how I would be really grateful

proton
08-31-2002, 06:04 AM
you could also check the Sig_02 content and see some scenes to study....or check out some of the tuts over at LW3d:

http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/index.html

like this:

http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/rendering/globalillumination_skydome/globalillumination_skydome.html

Kaiser_Sose
08-31-2002, 06:22 AM
I am going through the installed scenes now

This might be a silly question but is it normal that when you load your object into a scene it comes in real tiny and is ok to you ' size ' to increase it by a bunch

Does increasing it a bunch screw up the geometry

proton
08-31-2002, 06:31 AM
I always change the grid size...that way it shrinks the camera and light down.....

Kaiser_Sose
08-31-2002, 06:42 AM
Aha, thats how its done

I will try and figure it out ... grid size in layout here I come

Kaiser_Sose
08-31-2002, 07:37 AM
Looking over the scenes helps, especially with the texturing of objects

I still cant figure out the concept behind ' properly ' setting up a scene

Can you go over adjusting the grid size for a specific object a little more

Thank you for your time and patience

Kaiser_Sose
09-01-2002, 02:15 AM
I really think the smallness of the object when loaded into layout is screwing with my mind and in turn not allowing me to adjust the camera and the floor plane object to properly illustrate the model

Can someone please go over this ... maybe a tutorial

proton
09-01-2002, 04:28 AM
send this in as a tutorial request over at the LW site...and it will be added to the list....

Kaiser must be very busy learning LW.....I've seen you post alot here over the last couple of days....your keeping us quite busy....:)

Your going to be one bad a$$ LW artist when it's all said and done...if you keep up this pace...

jfornasar
09-01-2002, 04:46 AM
Kaiser,

***I really think the smallness of the object when loaded into layout is screwing with my mind and in turn not allowing me to adjust the camera and the floor plane object to properly illustrate the model***

If this helps...

I model everything as close to "real" measurements as possible.
As I do primarily physical objects (buildings and technical equipment) this is easy, I just measure the object and model it.

When you open lightwave, it will always adjust the size of your camera and grid to your first imported object. Get in the habit of keyframing your camera before you bring anything in. I always keep the "Perspective" view on when I'm setting up a scene.

Select the Camera button at the bottom of the screen, and hit Enter twice. It wil keyframe the camera.

Bring in your object. You can now use the [ or ] keys to adjust the relative size of your camera. I find it helps to adjust the camera to make it look the size of a "real" movie camera. There are several 3 light "set-up" .lws on the web, with key, fill and backlights, they can help you get started. If you picture Layout as a movie set you may have seen (either in real life or a movie) you'll start to get the hang of it.

fastfinger
09-01-2002, 06:44 AM
change the grid size
press "[" or "]"
:)

Kaiser_Sose
09-01-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by jfornasar
There are several 3 light "set-up" .lws on the web, with key, fill and backlights, they can help you get started.

Sounds interesting, have any idea where

No luck with google

proton
09-01-2002, 05:44 PM
look for this on Monday....Policarpo's tut has this :)

Kaiser_Sose
09-02-2002, 06:19 AM
This brings up another question ...

I modeled the head using pictures [ normal size ] as reference, so then why does this sucker come in as a specle on the screen when I first load it in to LW

proton
09-02-2002, 06:22 AM
look at your grid size in the lower left habd corner...if it is small when u model it....it will be small when it comes into layout

Kaiser_Sose
09-02-2002, 07:12 AM
Ok ... when I first open modeler the Grid size says 500mm > I then proceed to load in my object and it is tiny ... it becomes a descent size when I use the zoom and change the grid size to 10mm

ANy way to work around this or even fix it

proton
09-02-2002, 07:24 AM
have you tried playing with the Grid Square size in the Display options (d)

Kaiser_Sose
09-02-2002, 11:39 AM
I built the head using SI, Millimeters, and One ... these are the settings Dan himself told me to use

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.