PDA

View Full Version : Student showreel

fr3drik
12-06-2004, 01:56 AM
I'm graduating this summer from my school (see my signature) and before that I'm planning on doing an internship as an animator/rigger or maybe an allround artist. Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff in the reel is still "work in progress" ...so this isn't really a reel. It's more like a pre-reel. :)

Let me know what you think!

http://averpil.com/fredrik/portfolio/reel/reel2004.jpg (http://www.averpil.com/fredrik/portfolio/reel/fredrikaverpil-reel2004.mov)

fredrikaverpil-reel2004.mov (http://www.averpil.com/fredrik/portfolio/reel/fredrikaverpil-reel2004.mov), 9mb

pigeonreverend
12-06-2004, 06:13 AM
well it looks good so far...i'm particularly fond of the eggs. it seems to be moving along nicely.

iNcurSioN
12-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Well there's a couple of points I'd like to criticize of this reel. I read recently an article that professional employers wrote about Demo Reel creation in 3D World Magazine, and I came across a part saying that it's a big no no to include WIP's in your reel, mainly because this can leave the employer wondering why it is not finished, giving the impression of never finishing projects etc.

Also you should put the best of your work at the front so that if the employers time is short he gets hit with the best stuff first. Sometimes they only watch the first 15 seconds!!!

Nice job on what you have done though :)

Hope this helps :)

MikaelPersson
12-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Hej,
what happened to the previous real? You had some nice pieces on it.
I can only emphasize what previous posters have said. WIP's nope, for just showing us it is fine, interesting to see. But for potential employers, they want to see how far you can go and not having to imagine where you could possibly take the clip.
But if you were to finish the WIP's the reel would be very nice. Do also consider the order of things, show your most impressive clips at the start, wait with turntables.

Keep us posted on the evolution of things.
cheers.

Levitateme
12-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Fred i am only guessing from what you said in your post but your going to be a animator? My critique from your reel was you have very basic animations, simple keyframes like rotate in X and move up and down. i dont know what kinda of animator your going to be, but i wanted to give you my critique.

your guy talked at the beginning, but he had no life to him. his head turned very slowly and mouth moved, but nothing happend with him. he should be raising his arms and moving around, you have to add life to this man. also i remember some eggs i think they were? also the same thing about the man applies. its again very simple keyframes, you gotta add energy to them eggs instead of them just SLOWLY moving their mouth,have em going nuts, they look like they would be really wound up or something. instead they mostly just sit there and slowly turn or slowly move. like i said i think your animations really need a kick in the boots. i mean if you get upset at me, its just me giving a honest critique, and i realize its a pre reel just when i think of animator i imagine like a person climbing up a tree and leaping around, something like this is when i think of animator. so if i am assuming like character animation, and thats not what your going in for please ignore, but its just my crituqe.

emmillius
12-08-2004, 09:06 PM
I disagree with Levitateme. All animation does not have to be high action, jumping around and going crazy. If you only animate crazyness it is very difficult to show you can convey emotion. There isn't much acting to someone just slamming themselves around a room or out of a tree.

I think what you are going for is good, it seems like a more subtle approach. I like what you have started with the first animation, the lipsync is nice and his pupil and eyebrow motion is also good. I do think the body need some energy, more intention, it just looks like you didnt touch it at all. I think it would help if you added some blinks too, maybe when he looks down...whenever he is thinking how to respond to her name. The head animation is a little slow and floaty but i think if you push it a bit it will be nice.

As far as having WIPs...considering you already said that this is a PRE-Reel, i dont understand why everyone is making such a big deal about it. You obviously already know you shouldnt put WIPs on a show reel that you are using to apply for a job.

Overall I think you have a very good start and just need to push it more.

Good luck!

Corduroy Squirrel
12-08-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm not against criticism, but I think we can use a little more constructive criticism sometimes http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/grin.gif . I was torn between figuring out what you were 'selling' about yourself. Is it modeling or animation? Either way, I think you can use more of both. The lipsync in the beginning has no blinks! Blinks are critical to believability and realism. Also, don't be afraid to push the poses of the head. I believe it's far wiser to push something so far it doesn't work, and then back it off, instead of being conservative with poses. You need some more eyebrow emotion. Eyebrows are a huge part of believability as well. Your blendshapes might need to be tweaked to do this. If you can jack them up past 1, like 2, or 3, and they still hold then you might want to do that. When making my blendshapes, morph targets, or whatever I try and make them really REALLY extreme. I can always use less of it, but I can really never have more than what I gave myself in the beginning.

The timing on the eggs needs to be more varied. It's like drawing or painting. You need slow parts and fast parts, ease ins and ease outs, fast ins and fast outs! Contrase makes a drawing and timing makes an animation. It's slow enough that I can watch them translate through keys and what not. They have an awesome render and really cool personalities! I think you can make some AWESOME animation with these guys. Go to www.iloveegg.com (http://www.iloveegg.com/) for some reference. They do a LOT with those eggs. I think they can use some blinks as well.

In general the modeling looked nice, but I think you should try and model something a little more unique if you want a modeling job. An original dinosaur, zombie, or even a cartoony character depending on where you want a job. You wouldn't submit a WETA modeling reel to Disney and vice versa.

Keep working at it and don't be afraid to push yourself! You obviously have the skills and drive so now it's all about practice, Practice, PRACTICE!

Kick arse and take names!
-C.Squirrel

JeT
12-09-2004, 08:42 PM
looking good - i think some of these clips could be faster especially for wip.

your animation could use some more life i believe, especially the eggs. quite slow and simple their movement, i must say. your eggs look nice, but need more life, or to be put in a scenario which demands more action. i got bored watching them.

your character at the start, i liked, but again i could see that he was a 3d model because he was not reacting as a human would standing around under pressure of gravity... this is probably a side affect of your character not having legs yet.

keep it going - a nice wip but i would show an employer a finished version.

fr3drik
12-13-2004, 12:14 AM
Thank you very much all for the feedback, I will make sure to fix these things for my next showreel. And yes eventhough much in here are still WIP I need to hear honest opinions on this, which I am grateful that you guys have given me!
Still, I had to take _something_ with me when I visited London last week. :D

In terms of which kind of job I am after ...I am not so sure myself. Probably I will be aiming for a junior character TD/animation position - and this is for when I graduate - still have my thesis to complete. The companies I visited told me they liked seing that I could handle more than just one thing. But yes, I felt I had not very much to put in my showreel and maybe it got a bit repetitive.

And please note, the character at the beginning of the reel has not even been weighted. I didn't have time for that and the whole lipsync test was done in a day just for the intro of the showreel.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.