PDA

View Full Version : Surf guy lipsync

metroeast
12-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Hi again,

I did a test lip sync of a character I posted here a while back. It's pretty short and sweet. I got the audio from "Good Will Hunting". Let me know what your thoughts are.

http://pages.cthome.net/metroeast/animation/dem_apples.zip

StuartVarrall
12-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Hi, I can't really comment too much on the lip sync as I don't have the codec to play the audio, but some problems are apparent from just the video.

- First if your serious about improving your lip sync then get a copy of Jason Osipas "stop staring" it's a fantastic read and explains everything you need to know about how to go about syncing, and how to do it well.

- The main problem is there's too much mouth movement. It's impossible to move your mouth that fast; it's a common mistake with lip sync to overdo the shapes. Strip a lot of them out, concentrate on just the main sounds. You’ll find that you don’t need a lot of what you’ve got and be surprised with how little movement you can get away with. You should record yourself saying the line on a webcam/camera, or at the minimum get a mirror. Say the line how you want the character to say it [don't over exaggerate] and see how your mouth moves.

- Something should be happening during the big pause. The character is feeling an emotion and should be expressing that emotion. To be perfectly still like that is very unnatural

- He doesn't have enough head or body movement. Again you are the best reference for this. Act it out, see the sometimes small but necessary movements you do with your body and your head.

- He stops blinking half way through

Hope that helps, even if it's a bit unconventional to comment on a lip sync with no audio :)

Stu

metroeast
12-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the advice Stu.

I think I have a tendancy to keep the characters too still. Someone else had the same comment on other animation I did. It's something I still need to work on.

I will check out that book and try to look at myself more carefully.

Thanks for the great advice

KevinKraeer
12-13-2004, 07:31 PM
I'd like to help you out with some critique, but it appears I don't have the codec.

I'm guessing that it's not Divx (just installed it)...what codec is it exactly?

pollywoggles
12-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Hey.

I'd love to offer any suggestions, but I couldn't hear the animation either. If you could post it with a different codec...

metroeast
12-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Sorry for the delay.

Here is the same animation in a Quicktime format using a Sorenson 3 compression. Let me know what your crits are. I really appreciate your patience.

http://pages.cthome.net/metroeast/animation/dem_apples.zip

Bleen
12-28-2004, 02:10 AM
Hi, I could hear the audio OK...
Try to have the character moving all the time... when you have a pause, don't "freeze" the character by not keyframing anything, just make a realllly slow ease-out movement or make him asume a think pose, or something... freezing looks bad :-/
Also the fact that doesn't help is that he is standing too still... try standing and looking in a mirror... you'll see a lot of things happening... the only people who stand so still are mimes :-)
hummm that's all for now :-)

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.