PDA

View Full Version : 10sec Animation feedback..

SimonPickard
12-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Hello all,

I recently did this for the 10sec club and was wondering if I could touble you guys and gals for some feedback. I'm always looking for areas in which to improve so please rip it apart if you want.

Animation is found at:

http://www.simonpickard.dsl.pipex.com/Movies/SP_10secNov.mpg

It's a 2meg mpeg1 file that should hopefully playback on most things.

Thanks again in advance,

Regards,
Simon

CGmonkey
12-05-2004, 11:47 PM
haha it made me laugh. excellent animation.

the only thing is that in the end, he doesn't seem very exhausted while jim carrey is out of breath.

SimonPickard
12-06-2004, 12:42 AM
Yeah good point. I really wanted to add some heavy breathing at the end but sort of ran out of time. It's on my to do list for this animation when I get a sec.

Thanks for the reply,

Simon

SimonPickard
12-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Anyone else? I'd love someone to really go through this with me and offer any advice about ways I should be thinking in terms of improving my animation,

Thanks people.

Regards,
Simon

Wilson-3d
12-06-2004, 05:59 PM
I watched it a good ten times and went frame by frame. I do agree with cgmonkey about the breathing heavy at the end. I really could not find anything to suggest. Not to say someone else won't but me-I'm stuck. So I will say I really like that you have him moving around taking steps nad not just standing there. I really like the point of the hand when he says ran a stop sign and the hand nears moth in a whisper pose to say almost hit a chevy. My favorite though is the arch in the hips and the arm swing when he says failled to yeild at at cross walk and then the hops. Nice job.

SimonPickard
12-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Maybe I've watched it too often but I feel like I'm somewhat going from pose to pose without much in the way of how I get there. Feels a little bit like the numbers as times.

Maybe I tired to do too much with this guy in the time? I just wanted to try and stay with the audio in terms of it building, that's why I had the hand to his mouth bit in there.

Regards,

Simon

gaiXyn
12-06-2004, 06:30 PM
I think it's pretty good, his body moments definitely goes with the audio. My only thing with it, ( which is a lil thing ) is the way his right foot slides ( 3X throughout the ani ), but then again this does seem to be a more cartoony ani, so it's really no big deal. How long have you been animating?

SimonPickard
12-07-2004, 10:33 AM
How long? Humm hard to say really. Not as long as I'd like to that's for sure! I was in games for a few years and have now had a year in Film, so 4 years. But most of that time wasn't spent animating.

I'd love to be able to *just* animate, but it's quite hard trying to move yourself into this field I find.

Regards,
Simon

gaiXyn
12-07-2004, 11:25 AM
that's cool, so can you tell us how you learned animation, any books, classes or was this all on your own? I would like to be an animator, and right now I'm gathering references for my demo reel, but without even starting the demo, I already know that my toughest challenge will be the animation. So any tips/advice would be greatly appreicated.

later -

KevinKraeer
12-13-2004, 08:23 PM
That is some nice work. I think the timing and body rhythm is right on, the only I notice that really sticks out is that, he appears to have an 'angry' expression - meaning a furrowed brow - when it is not always appropriate.

For example, I'd like to see his eyes get really, really, big a couple times, specifically at the end, on the word 'speeding'.

While the rhythm and timing are good, I also think the delivery would benefit from some even more exaggerated movement and bounce. The moves are technically there, and they do a nice job, but to me they feel sort of reserved right now.

Overall, a great piece so far! Keep up the good work.

SimonPickard
12-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Binder:

I went to Uni to learn cgi but as is the case you end up learning the package, etc. It wasn't until I came out of Uni that I started really trying to learn animation. So I guess I've sort of done it on my own.
Check out the 10second club. www.10secondclub.org (http://www.10secondclub.org) This is where I go to learn. Some amazing people out there.

kgkraeer:

You're so right. After looking back at it I really need to push it more, go more crazy. I think the main problem is the ending. It's funny how looking back at your work after a few weeks really shows up the problems!

I'll post an update here once I get time to fix things!

Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone.
Si.

Pinet
12-22-2004, 07:24 AM
hey! i saw that one on the 10 secs club :)
i think its one of the good ones!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.