PDA

View Full Version : Cinema 4d to XSI considerations

nhytro
12-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Hi guys!

I am a 3D hobbyist, I have Silo( which I love) and Cinema 4D Core + Bodypaint 1. I would really like the have the new features of Cinema 4d rel 9 but the upgrade path for me is just too expensive, besides, being a programmer by profession, the XSI SDK has got me drooling :).

My questions:
1. I cherish C4D for its stability, what is the stability like for XSI on W2k?
2. Is the XSI foundation/Base a dual OS liscense? ( Linux and W2k)?
3. Does mental ray support GI and DOF?
4. Are the animation tools stripped down in the Base version comapred to the essentianls package?
5. Is the OBJ import in XSI goood? C4Ds OBJ import stinks( materials get lost).

If the foundation/Base package scores in all the above questions, then I save the price of getting The Advanced renderer and MOcca( animation) packages for Cinema. I might even sell my liscence.

IŽm sorry if some of these questions are answerd on the XSI base, I just couldŽfind any answers that suited me. Besides, I would really like the view of a cinema 4D user on this.
Thanks for all your answers in advance.

SheepFactory
12-05-2004, 06:20 PM
1) very stable if you have one of the recommended configs.

2) I dont think it is

3) Of course

4) No , all the animation tools are in there , and they rock.

5) Some say its bad but i had no problems using it.

now that said ,

If you are comfortable with c4d , and all you do is modelling and stills there is no reason to switch to xsi imo. I use c4d also time to time and its a good package. But if getting xsi foundations less expensive than the c4d upgrade price i'd go with XSI.

And why dont you download the demo and find out all the answers to your questions , you have a 30 day trial , use it.

nhytro
12-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Thanks for your quick reply Sheep factory, actually, I wanted to venture in world of character animation, the main reason for my thoughts of changing packages. Hmm, if mental has DOF and GI, the my package is a no contender, even for simple stills as I have the core package without the Advanced renderer.

1) very stable if you have one of the recommended configs.

2) I dont think it is

3) Of course

4) No , all the animation tools are in there , and they rock.

5) Some say its bad but i had no problems using it.

now that said ,

If you are comfortable with c4d , and all you do is modelling and stills there is no reason to switch to xsi imo. I use c4d also time to time and its a good package. But if getting xsi foundations less expensive than the c4d upgrade price i'd go with XSI.

And why dont you download the demo and find out all the answers to your questions , you have a 30 day trial , use it.

pnoland
12-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Hey Sheep, how would you compare Cinema's render speed to Mental Ray? I'm using the 30 day trial of XSI now and I'm still learning the navigational tools of the GUI since it's so in depth, it rocks. I'm in the same boat in that I have Cinema 4d and I'm wanting to venture into character animation (or animation in general) and I've heard that XSI has whoop ace animation tools but how does it stack up against MOCCA? I've also got Motion Builder 5.5 so would XSI be a good recomendation for animation if I already have MOCCA and MB? Regardless I'd love to have Mental Ray at my disposal so I'll wind up purchasing XSI anyway...maybe when I start up my schooling again I'll get an edu seat of Advanced...Mmm... :D

Vertizor
12-05-2004, 08:38 PM
A word about XSI stability: while it hasn't flat out crashed on me, certain operations that I try to cancel out of (for example pressing the Cancel button during rendering, right-clicking to clear out of some multi-select operations) will give a pop up error message.

From the looks of it, it seems like certain operations are carried out as scripts rather than hard code. So when I escape without finishing the operation it's left hanging so the script itself crashes not the XSI program. The script debugger pops up and I ALWAYS click the go away button and everything is fine. Once in a while my finger slips and I click "Debug" by accident. Since I have Visual C++ installed, that fires up and shows me the code. I don't want to mess around with it so I just stop the debugger and quit out of VC++. BUT doing so will also close out XSI... without giving me time to save my work. I've lost some work that way only once, so now I know better and avoid it.

Srek
12-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Hthe XSI SDK has got me drooling
Just out of curiosity, what property of the XSI SDK made you drool? The CINEMA SDK is not shabby and i would like to know where you see the advantage of XSI here.
CHeers
Srek

nhytro
12-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Hi Srek, maybe I should have been specific. Well I read that I can use Jscript, Python, and C( languages that I prefer) to code against the SDK. I like the fact that one can quickly add a script to the toolbar and create a button for it. I also read that The whole interface is scriptable.

In all, well thought of. COFFEE in comparism seems "abandoned" and not updated anymore, which is a pity for those that dont intend to learn C++ or buy a certain compiler.

UPDATE:

I have downloaded the demo, the script editor alone is half a reason :), type the beginnig of a command, hmm how was it spelled? press F1 and voila! the SDK help opens on another screen, and you get in addition a dialogue window with a list of matching commands. The fact that it supports Acvtive X is also good. For now, many pros for XSI. IŽll post more stuff later.

Just out of curiosity, what property of the XSI SDK made you drool? The CINEMA SDK is not shabby and i would like to know where you see the advantage of XSI here.
CHeers
Srek

Srek
12-06-2004, 06:17 AM
Ah ok, makes sense. The COFFEE SDK is really a bit dated.
I thought you were talking about the C++ SDK.

Good luck
Srek

kevin3d
12-06-2004, 10:27 AM
IŽll post more stuff later.
Nhytro,

Please keep us informed. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm thinking very seriously of moving from C4D to XSI due to:
- Cost
- MentalRay
- character animation tools
- use in major studios

I downloaded XSI EXP 3.0 and will check out the Foundation demo when I know my way around XSI a little better (though I won't be able to even get to it until Q1 2005...arg).

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.