PDA

View Full Version : Attaching multiple objects?

Segmoria
12-05-2004, 06:05 PM
I am new to XSI and I am trying to find the best way to attach multiple objects into one.
I have lets say a model of a TV set with lots of seperate objects for buttons and wires and I want to attach them all together, in order to apply a Taper or a Bend modifier to it.
I dont want my geometry to be affected at all, so I dont want to use Boolean ops
nor do I want just to group them.
What I'm looking for is a simple "Attach" option (thats how it's called in 3dsMax)

The geometry I'm trying to attach has similar tesselation density so there wouldnt be a problem in it deforming in a similar way when a modifier is applied to it.

any help?

JDex
12-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Select all polygon objects you want assembled to one,

Model_Toolbar>Create>Poly Mesh>Merge...

In the resulting PPG, set tolerance to "0", press the delete (freezes op) button.

Segmoria
12-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Merge was exactly what I was looking for
thanks for your quick response :)

Ablefish
12-05-2004, 10:33 PM
An alternative, if your objects are parented together anyways, is you can branch-select the objects and apply the deformer as a branch. You can even parent in other objects after the fact and they will 'inherit' the deformation.

Segmoria
12-08-2004, 05:33 PM
thanx! I wasn't really aware of the "select branch" option.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.