PDA

View Full Version : Why the hell doesnt lightwave wanna render textures?

Kwago
08-29-2002, 05:41 AM
I use Lightwave on a mac for work, why the hell is it that i the program does not at times want to render certain textures? after i reboot the mac a few times it will work. wtf is up with this crap?

NanoGator
08-29-2002, 06:08 AM
Uhh... never heard of that.

Show us a render maybe?

Kwago
08-29-2002, 06:09 AM
sure when i get to work tomorrow i'll do that

it is SOOO annoying, i have to keep a constant eye on those things =/

it's gonna give me a stroke soon i swear

Eugeny
08-29-2002, 06:17 AM
Then u load the scene did u have any alerts about texture handler what not found?

NanoGator
08-29-2002, 06:21 AM
The typical "I have no idea so I'll take shots in the dark" stuff I'd do is this:

1- Rescan all the plugs and try again
2- Double check that your content directory hasn't changed
3- After reassigning the textures, make sure to SAVE ALL OBJECTS. If ya don't do that in Layout, you'll lose stuff.

Kwago
08-29-2002, 06:22 AM
nope, it finds all the textures fine.. it's as if it renders the textures when it wants to. it seems to only do this on dual cpu mac g4's. the single cpu g4's render fine

Eugeny
08-29-2002, 06:28 AM
Dual G4 with one thread or more then 2?
And another one quastion - u render from LW or LWSN?
I think u mast report this to Newtek ...

juanjgon
08-29-2002, 07:49 AM
I have this problem in PC when using a large amount of textures in a system with low memory ... image loader cant allocate memory to load data and LW no reports any error, so image is rendered without some textures. Try to convert textures to 8 bits, reduce texture resolution or add memory to your system.

Regards,
JJ

red_oddity
08-29-2002, 08:30 AM
Ok, on a Mac, make sure you use OS-X (ditch OS9 and your Mac otherwise if you decide not to use OS-X)
Use NO IFFs even though this is the native image format of the Amiga (LWs mother system sort to speak)
Use TGAs, always 24 bit (for alpha use seperate TGAs), simply because they always work and the Mac doesn't see them as some SimpleText document.

I've had similar problems on the Mac (often caused by the faulty OS-9 (in combination with Dual G4's)), switching to OS-X completely eliminated every bug/error/glitch i ever had with LW.

Make sure all textures are in the same project dir (don't spread them out too much over different folders outside the root of your scene/project)

Hope this helps.

Nicodemus
08-29-2002, 01:08 PM
Yep....have to agree.....go with tga's and make sure you have alot of system memory if you are using alot of textures. Had this kind of a problem when I had alot of large textures and quicktimes in a scene.

proton
08-29-2002, 01:10 PM
Please put together all th einformation about your computer and the scene file that your experincing problems and call tech support.....I'm sure that they have had this kinda call before and have the solutions to your problem........Remember that Tech Support is Free when you buy LightWave....not bad :)

Kwago
08-29-2002, 02:14 PM
i'm rendering this thru lightwave, c'mon we all know LWSN working on a Mac is an urban legend!

This problem has occured on these systems all running the latest version of OSX

2 Dual GHz systems and a Dual 800GHz system with 512MB RAM in each one. All the dual systems are set to 8 threads since they seem to render faster- well at least when i benchmarked them.

"Make sure all textures are in the same project dir (don't spread them out too much over different folders outside the root of your scene/project)"
^^^
I've wondered about this myself cuz i'm a PC junkie and i'm hell bent on believing that macs are just stupid at times.

I play tribes with a Newtek worker so i'll ask him about this crap as well.

idol_shepherd
08-29-2002, 04:09 PM
Load in the scene or image and check the properties of the image in the image editor. Under the SOURCE tab look at the Alpha Channel category if the alpha is enabled then disable it and try the render. Often times embedded alpha channels will automatically be enabled. They will not affect the OpenGL viewing of the image but will keep the image from displaying in the final rendered image.
-Gil

Kwago
08-29-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by idol_shepherd
Load in the scene or image and check the properties of the image in the image editor. Under the SOURCE tab look at the Alpha Channel category if the alpha is enabled then disable it and try the render. Often times embedded alpha channels will automatically be enabled. They will not affect the OpenGL viewing of the image but will keep the image from displaying in the final rendered image.
-Gil

yup i check this stuff all the time before i render. The alphas on the textures giving me the problems are disabled and they still do not render.
another thing i just remembered is that when I have this problem of textures not rendering I have noticed that the texture in the image editor appears to be completely white.

anim8r2
09-01-2002, 03:27 AM
Open the texture panels and make sure the texture layer(s) are turned on (checked).

Just guessing.

Sometimes my copy of LW does a goofy thing and autoselects an Envelope button, but assigns a value of zero (usually whenever I select render outlines). Effectively turning off whatever it auto-enveloped. Simply clearing the envelope and assigning the right value fixes the prob.

proton
09-01-2002, 03:35 AM
can you send me the image file so that I may have a look at it.....if it's completely white in the image editor that might mean that something is wrong with the file....but I can't say for sure without having a look at it......Hopefully we can get this issue resolved for you....

webfox
09-02-2002, 04:03 PM
I may be completely off with this, but I heard that Photoshop's targa saver is not working properly and that you have to download the corrected one from their site. (The problem had to do with alphas.) If you have created or modified the image with Photoshop and the bad targa exporter, this may be causing a problem.

Just a guess.

yahll
09-02-2002, 05:01 PM
Webfox is right, I use to have that issue
Try this (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1544) link
Maybe is your case as well

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.