PDA

View Full Version : PSP to play Downloaded Movies?

SpiralFace
12-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Acording to game spot it is.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/03/news_6114410.html

With this news the first thing that pops up into my head is "how in gods name is sony getting away with this?" They are blatently advertising that you can play Downloaded movies, but last time I checked downloaded movies where totaly Illegal. And the other thing that offends me is the fact that they say the only problem with this is the MPG-4 format that will have a converter packaged with the system. Now granted, they don't have any details yet of how this software works, but it just sickens me how news outlets and Council developers seem to not be fighting Piracy, but embracing it.

DevilHacker
12-04-2004, 05:13 PM
I think they are more-less saying, that you can get the DVDs that you own, and convert them to MPEG4 format, and then download them to a MMC inside your PSP system...

This is Legal %100, The N-Gage does the same thing…

:applause: I am glad that Sony is letting us PSP users download our movies, instead of re-buying them on a UMD…

DaveW
12-04-2004, 07:01 PM
They are blatently advertising that you can play Downloaded movies, but last time I checked downloaded movies where totaly Illegal.
I don't know where you're checking, but downloading movies is 100% legal. If the copyright holder is charging and you don't pay for your download, then it's illegal. There are thousands of free, legal movies available online and there's no reason for anybody to prevent you from watching them just because some people are illegally downloading movies. Are you pissed off about portable mp3 players too?

galactor
12-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Maybe you want to view your home made movies on the PSP.
As far as i know that still is not ilegal!

:: Galactor ::

Lord3d2
12-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Well there a few legal websites where you pay a fee and you can download an entire movie.

And like how the MLB is doing this

Watch baseball games on your handheld system

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/pmc_main.jsp

superlayer
12-04-2004, 07:45 PM
I just know this baby is soo good.
I will have a go on the 17th at an expo in Hong Kong.
Yummmmm!!! I want!!!

Recursive
12-04-2004, 07:48 PM
In many countries it is not illegal to download movies without having permission from the copyright holder to do so, or to view them. it is however illegal to upload these movies in some of these countries.

Lord3d2
12-04-2004, 08:11 PM
They arent refering to that.

They are refering to what I said above.

kex
12-04-2004, 08:40 PM
what will sony pictures think of this :P

galactor
12-04-2004, 08:45 PM
what will sony pictures think of this :P

I think they allready had that discussion when they started making Sony Standalone DVD/Divx players right!

:: Galactor ::

halo
12-05-2004, 08:13 AM
this is good news if it is true...my interest was waning on this but having the ability to put your own stuff on there is good news :)

dAfTiE
12-05-2004, 11:47 AM
I think they are more-less saying, that you can get the DVDs that you own, and convert them to MPEG4 format, and then download them to a MMC inside your PSP system...

This is Legal %100, The N-Gage does the same thing…

:applause: I am glad that Sony is letting us PSP users download our movies, instead of re-buying them on a UMD…

I know that I'm still allowed to rip my own DVDs here in norway,but is it actually still legal in the US?
From what I understand of the DMCA thing,fair use is more or less obsolete in the states.
I've not read extensively about it tho,so I'm not sure.
Seems silly for it NOT to be legal tho.
When I buy a DVD,or a CD,or a game or a computer program or whatever else,
I'm not paying for the medium,I'm paying for the right to use/view/listen to whatever information is ON the medium.
If that means I'd like to rip my CDs to mp3 to listen to them on my ipod,
or rip my movies to xvid or something like that to view it on a handheld device like this,
I think that should be well within my rights.
And I really can't see how me doing this being illegal will battle piracy in any way,shape or form.

Not too long ago there was a court case against one of the guys involved in making the first version of DeCSS,
the first program that enabled users to strip the copyprotection from DVDs so you could view them on other operating systems like linux,
and they were not able to get a conviction,and I think all the appeals were thrown out,
so for now at least,fair use still stands here.
I've heard there is some legislation on the way in the EU that might make it obsolete here too tho.

Recursive
12-05-2004, 12:40 PM
I know that I'm still allowed to rip my own DVDs here in norway,but is it actually still legal in the US?
From what I understand of the DMCA thing,fair use is more or less obsolete in the states.
I've not read extensively about it tho,so I'm not sure.
Seems silly for it NOT to be legal tho.
When I buy a DVD,or a CD,or a game or a computer program or whatever else,
I'm not paying for the medium,I'm paying for the right to use/view/listen to whatever information is ON the medium.
If that means I'd like to rip my CDs to mp3 to listen to them on my ipod,
or rip my movies to xvid or something like that to view it on a handheld device like this,
I think that should be well within my rights.
And I really can't see how me doing this being illegal will battle piracy in any way,shape or form.

Not too long ago there was a court case against one of the guys involved in making the first version of DeCSS,
the first program that enabled users to strip the copyprotection from DVDs so you could view them on other operating systems like linux,
and they were not able to get a conviction,and I think all the appeals were thrown out,
so for now at least,fair use still stands here.
I've heard there is some legislation on the way in the EU that might make it obsolete here too tho. the fair use laws in the usa are still there. however the dmca has made it illegal to circumvent any encryption technology on for example most dvd's. so it is illegal to convert dvds to mp4 in the usa since those dvds have technology developed specificly so that it should'nt be possible to copy them.

its still legal to copy vhs movies though.

the legislation in the eu is not really on the way. its been done. it is now up to the member nations to ratify and interpret the directions that the eu has given them regarding these new laws. its up to the countries if they want to make copying dvds illegal or not.

dAfTiE
12-05-2004, 12:59 PM
the fair use laws in the usa are still there. however the dmca has made it illegal to circumvent any encryption technology on for example most dvd's. so it is illegal to convert dvds to mp4 in the usa since those dvds have technology developed specificly so that it should'nt be possible to copy them.

its still legal to copy vhs movies though.

the legislation in the eu is not really on the way. its been done. it is now up to the member nations to ratify and interpret the directions that the eu has given them regarding these new laws. its up to the countries if they want to make copying dvds illegal or not.

Thanks for the info,good to know.
I guess we'll just have to wait to see how those EU directives will hit us here in Norway and the other EEA countries.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.