ok i already did :scream:

santa is really pushing it this year

rebo
12-04-2004, 03:21 AM
I really hope they dont compromise quality with this :/

poly-phobic
12-04-2004, 04:21 AM
bah..
too much on modeling. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif .. at this point with all the modeling DVDs and tuts out there they should have focused more on animation and rigging imho.
their last animation dvd was really awful (again my opinion).

where's the animation and advanced rigging.... http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

although the MR dvds look ok.

i know they're going sell a lot of this stuff.

ChewyPixels
12-04-2004, 04:40 AM
Yeah, some advanced rigging would've been great. I LOVE rigging! I would have also liked to have seen some advanced character texturing in photoshop from beginning to end. Maybe next time. Gotta save up for these.:D

dotTom
12-04-2004, 05:08 AM
It's like, it's meant to be... 14 new digital releases from Gnomon and a weak dollar. I think'll I'll initially be ordering 12 - all the new ZBrush, polygon, UV and mental ray titles. I never really "got" Paint Effects so I'll hang on that and wait for someone to review those titles.

Array
12-04-2004, 05:15 AM
Holy cow! Good to see Gnomon step away from Maya for a bit. Now if only we get some XSI videos.....:thumbsup:

dotTom
12-04-2004, 05:21 AM
What do you mean step away? Of the 14 only 2 are specifically non Maya and 1 is a Maya/ZBrush combo title. Don't get me wrong I like XSI and yes it's crying out for more tutorial stuff - but I think the numbers here just reflect market forces...

JesseDavis
12-04-2004, 05:53 AM
I like the idea of the character building series that has evidently developed with the Gnomon series (from the analogue dvds to these creature modelling/texturing). Personally, I hope to get the Character UV texturing one. I need a better way. Thanks again Alex for all the learning material!

belail
12-04-2004, 07:25 AM
Is it my imagination or are these no longer regular dvd movies? They're two disc sets and now have system requirements including quicktime and codecs. What's the running time on these things now?

dotTom
12-04-2004, 07:33 AM
It's good news if they're not DVDs. The trouble with watching stuff on DVD is the resolution is way too low. I mean you can't run Maya at less than 1024 * 786 (in the real world) - so spending hours trying to figure out blurred icons is a great way to get a headache I find.

pixolsoftware
12-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Great to see some ZBrush DVD's coming out!

Go Gnomon!

Regards,
Paul

imashination
12-04-2004, 11:24 AM
How did Gnomon manage to work around the fact that QT files encoded with the Ensharpen codec dont work on dual or P4 systems?

alexyork
12-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Now if only we get some XSI videos.....:thumbsup:
I'm right behind you there... I'd be spending a fortune if they started producing XSI vids.

Squid3d
12-04-2004, 11:54 AM
How did Gnomon manage to work around the fact that QT files encoded with the Ensharpen codec dont work on dual or P4 systems?
the 1.1 update adressed this issue if i'm not mistaken.

:)

scottsch
12-04-2004, 12:44 PM
3 mental ray discs - thanks Gnomon! It looks like the vid quality will be really high if the minimum requirements are 1280 x 1024 display resolution. XSI users should be able to get something out of the mental ray discs; even if it's made for Maya the mental ray aspect is very similar.

roger3d
12-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Cool!

More Maya DVDs!
Awesome!!! And Finally...

I'll save part of my bonus to buy them!!!
That's it Gnomon! Continue to make more indepth Digital Series!!!

imashination
12-04-2004, 03:42 PM
the 1.1 update adressed this issue if i'm not mistaken.

:)

Ahhhh, seems it was released just after we finished ours.

Wilson-3d
12-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Man those sound really nice. I would really like to check out the z-brush ones.

PixarFanatic
12-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Would have like to have seen a better Zbrush DVD. Like modeling a character head from scratch for example. Not model som blobby mass of nothing...

I could get all of what I saw there on Zbrush forums.. granted it'd take some time but at least it's free..

I think Gnomon does better when they stick to the artist technique videos. They'd make more money to since they're not product specific.

That "painting flesh" Vid was one of the coolest videos! I learned sooo much from that guy. He is clearly the better teach of it to, and funny.

Ehanson
12-04-2004, 04:48 PM
I acted as sr producer on most of these new titles. As for your questions, suffice to say that they all will be answered in the months to come. We have been extremely busy to this point launching this new line and have big plans for next year, with a broad expansion of subjects, authors, and packages in the works. The Gnomon school is inherently Maya-centric, but the Workshop offerings have much more latitude in what we produce. Expect some very cool titles on the VFX process as well as basic app education. And yes, they are all digital in delivery, 1k playback w/ the Ensharpen codec in a nice graphic interface, with Techsmith having just issued a fix on the MP problem. Onward and enjoy!

gundog
12-04-2004, 04:53 PM
gonna get the petroc digital sculpting dvd. that guy's a master sculptor.

AlexAlvarez
12-04-2004, 04:53 PM
PixarFanatic:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/zpe01.html

Not really a 'blobby mass of nothing'. Zack's DVD is bar none the best lecture on anatomy that I have seen, aside from the Zbrush/Maya info which is a pleasure to watch. :)

-Alex

dotTom
12-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Winter 2004 seems to be the season of countdowns. November was waiting for Half Life 2, the December countdown is now set on Gnomon for the 15th. Such a cool time.

More digital titles coming? Maybe something involving Maya and compositing? Maybe some motion tracking?

yog
12-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Would have like to have seen a better Zbrush DVD. Like modeling a character head from scratch for example. Not model som blobby mass of nothing...

I could get all of what I saw there on Zbrush forums.. granted it'd take some time but at least it's free..
How to win friends and influence people :hmm:

I think Gnomon does better when they stick to the artist technique videos. They'd make more money to since they're not product specific..
Personally not owning a buisiness myself, I wouldn't dream of telling people (who appear to be quite sucessful at it) how to run thier buisiness. At least not without having the sales figures they've collected over the years ;)

All said and done, you don't have to buy the DVD's if you don't want to. :cool:

Baq
12-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Gnomon rulezzz but I don't see any new: Dynamics stuff, why?

InterFacer
12-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Added most of those to my christmas list. even if I dont get them, what else is christmas money for?

scottsch
12-04-2004, 07:16 PM
I think Gnomon does better when they stick to the artist technique videos. They'd make more money to since they're not product specific.

I've been in a holding pattern with Gnomon because they have only been releasing analog videos this past year. Now that they have more digital titles, I will begin purchasing again, so it just depends on your situation. The analog stuff is very nice because how often do you get to sit down with people at the top of their game who will teach you how to work? I am amazed how generous the artists are with their time and talents. But... I just don't need that information for my job like I need the Maya workflow videos. Also, a lot of new people use Maya now compared to several years ago. I'm just happy they are focusing on mental ray rendering because there is almost no mental ray training anywhere.

superlayer
12-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Wow lots of modeling goodness.
:D

I sure wouldnt mind getting my hands on some of those.

DangerAhead
12-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Alex always has a trick up his sleeve. And he always has good... neigh... great teachers.

He never seems to get worried about the upstart companies trying to horn in on the Maya training. He's got it covered. And He's responsible for a lot of people's knowledge in Maya.

I'm glad they're back doing Maya DVDs. I too was in a holding pattern. mmmmm Mental Ray.

How about some MatchMover DVD(s)? or Maya Live? Fluids? Fur? Cloth? Syflex? Rigging?

I'm sure they're in the works BUT I WANT THEM NOW ***ROAR****

roger3d
12-04-2004, 10:52 PM
How to win friends and influence people :hmm:
Yes, this is a great book for interview skills... and for those who want to be more polite in this forum! Lol...

Gnomon is simply the best.

DevilHacker
12-05-2004, 01:07 AM
I'm right behind you there... I'd be spending a fortune if they started producing XSI vids.Ya me too, all my $$$ will be leaving my pockets...
Hopefully, with HalfLife 2 shipping with XSI|EXP, more videos will start to pop up...
:deal:

AlexAlvarez
12-05-2004, 02:18 AM
Hi all..

thanks for all the positive feedback... makes me feel good after the craziness that the last few months have been getting all these titles produced. whew!

Regarding XSI... well, you're hearing it here first.

Tomorrow at noon Aaron Sims from Stan Winston studios (their lead designer) is coming over to finish his first DVD... he will have 2 DVDs done by the end of the month and they should be released late January. As some of you may know, Aaron is an XSI artist. And his work is really amazing.. the creatures he's designed for the 1st disc are wonderful... can't wait to see what he does for the 2nd. His DVDs focus on his design process using XSI, DeepPaint, Photoshop and Zbrush. Aaron is one of very few leading concept designers who utilize 3D in the design process. While he uses XSI, what's cool is that as a Maya artist personally, I can easily follow along with what he's doing... and I must say, XSI does have some nice tools. Softimage has been very helpful and excited about working with Gnomon, and I must thank Michael Eisner at Softimage for putting this together.

-Alex

onlooker
12-05-2004, 02:20 AM
I'll be getting 3 at a time every two weeks until I have all 14. I'm starting with the 3 on ZB. I wish they would let us pre-order.

Baq, After the 14 dynamics DVDs do you still need more help with it? I think Alex pretty much covered it.

DevilHacker
12-05-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi all..

thanks for all the positive feedback... makes me feel good after the craziness that the last few months have been getting all these titles produced. whew!

Tomorrow at noon Aaron Sims from Stan Winston studios (their lead designer) is coming over to finish his first DVD... he will have 2 DVDs done by the end of the month and they should be released late January. As some of you may know, Aaron is an XSI artist. And his work is really amazing.. the creatures he's designed for the 1st disc are wonderful... can't wait to see what he does for the 2nd. His DVDs focus on his design process using XSI, DeepPaint, Photoshop and Zbrush. Aaron is one of very few leading concept designers who utilize 3D in the design process. While he uses XSI, what's cool is that as a Maya artist personally, I can easily follow along with what he's doing... and I must say, XSI does have some nice tools. Softimage has been very helpful and excited about working with Gnomon, and I must thank Michael Eisner at Softimage for putting this together.

-Alex
YES! Can't wait! :love:

Bonedaddy
12-05-2004, 02:31 AM
Just have to second what Alex said about Aaron. I worked with him at Stan Winston's a bit ago, and he's a class act (as is Softimage's no-relation-to-the-Disney-guy Michael Eisner). Runs a good department, and actually has an XSI book out now.

Kind of funny, I also know Eric Hanson from being in his class at USC. Everyone I know is going to Gnomon... :)

Back on track, though, these DVDs look fantastic, can't wait to get my hands on some of them. Kudos to all of you. I'm sure the next couple months are going to bring even more goodies our way from you all.

Brainsells
12-05-2004, 02:46 AM
I'm just upset the "Order Now" button isn't activated for these DVD's. I'm very excited to hear about the future XSI training! Thanks to all the artists who spent their time making this information available to the public. It's wonderful to see how much the training landscape has changed these past few years.

wmendez
12-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Alex that is good to here! Hopefully we can see more XSI related material coming from Gnomon. We interviewed Aaron last year http://www.xsibase.com/articles.php?detail=34

dotTom
12-05-2004, 05:40 AM
While he uses XSI, what's cool is that as a Maya artist personally, I can easily follow along with what he's doing... and I must say, XSI does have some nice tools.(As ever I reserve the right to be stupid). Does this mean that the XSI stuff is less step-by-step, feature-by-feature than say the Maya DVDs, i.e. more akin to the Analog titles which seem to focus less on the software specifics and take a "higher level" view, i.e. more about the creative pipeline process as a whole? This seems to me to be what you're saying when you say that Maya users will want to check out the XSI material. I mean there are roughly 47 Maya DVDs from Gnomon today, do you envisage a similar number of XSI ones (given that XSI is just as feature rich as Maya)?

SheepFactory
12-05-2004, 05:52 AM
Hi all..

-Alex
Thats great news Alex.

I hope in the future you guys can get Michael Eisner on board to produce some rigging tutorials also , they'll be worth their weight in gold. I personally feel there are enough modelling tutorials as there is for all the softwares and you can follow along the maya tutorials in XSI anyway and vice versa (tutorials from Aaron are always welcome :) )
but its rigging that differs greatly from software to software and I for one would love to see someone with production experience produce training for xsi or maya showing how they rig a character with emphasis on pipeline.

Looking forward to seeing the new dvd's and you guys rock.

BiGMaCHiNe
12-05-2004, 11:09 AM
this is all really great news but im still dying for Hanson's new VFX cds... next month.. or so... *waits patiently...

I dont mind that theres so much emphasis on modelling. I thought the previous polygonal modelling dvds lacked alot. These new additions to the digital library sound like they more than make up for it.

I have to partially agree with an earlier comment on the animation dvds. Whilst they were alright, ( and i love camerons work ) i dont feel that they cover enough information, however, thats not to say that once again there are more dvds to be released on the same subject/s. There'd have to be i assume.

yog
12-05-2004, 12:14 PM

Tomorrow at noon Aaron Sims from Stan Winston studios (their lead designer) is coming over to finish his first DVD... he will have 2 DVDs done by the end of the month and they should be released late January...... the creatures he's designed for the 1st disc are wonderful... can't wait to see what he does for the 2nd.

This is really great news :D :applause:

See if you can get Aaron to make his second DVD about Sub-D mech modelling like he did for the female terminator and T1 for Terminator 3, that was really great work :cool:

JasonA
12-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Alex, will the all title bundle now include these new 14 dvd's? It doesn't mention it on the site yet, and I was wondering when availability and pricing information will be listed.

Thanks!

DarkTure
12-05-2004, 06:36 PM
wish I could afford a few of these dvds. :sad: Well better start saving my money :)

PixarFanatic
12-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Wow!

I didn't expect flame posts because I suggested a request for a product. Talk about overreacting! Come on guys... so childish.

I saw the anatomy video. It's not about using Zbrush only, starting in zbrush, and finishing in zbrush with the final results being a detailed creature ior human head.

It was a maya to Zbrush work flow vid. I Like What Zbrush is in terms of being a suplimental package to other 3D programs, that's great.. however... It is it's own powerful program on it's own. I'd like to see it used that way.

I'm not telling anyone how to run there company, rather I'm a consumer asking (demand) for the company to produce something (supply) that I'd want to see.

I personaly found more value in the Technique DVD's and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to see the value of a non product specific lesson.

Maya has no value to me at all. This is my personal tastes, you don't have to agree, but don't flame me because I have a request from a group of talented people whom I'd like to learn from and can't because I don't use Maya. Maya users will get lots of use out of the series, good for them.

I'm really looking forward to E. Hansons DVD's. Those are on the top of my shopping list.

PixarFanatic
12-05-2004, 07:12 PM
one more thing..

for those who haven't already purchased rendering Flesh (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/npa04.html), get it. Not only is Neville really really good at what he does, I found him very entertaining with his use of the word disturbing throughout the lesson. In about 15 minutes he takes a simple circle and turns it into a DISTURBING "meatball" as he calls it.

I was blown away at how realy a simple ball could look. It truely looked like a 3D model!

I finally understand how to paint reflections and the video has me getting back to drawing my first character in 10 years.

Thank you Gnomon.

Baq
12-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Baq, After the 14 dynamics DVDs do you still need more help with it? I think Alex pretty much covered it. This Maya_Dynamics_DVD_Pack is very cool but I wanna see something more advanced. Maybe stuff like: particles in real production environment or something like that to see how pros us it in movies. :-)

RayenD
12-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Tomorrow at noon Aaron Sims from Stan Winston studios (their lead designer) is coming over to finish his first DVD...
Great news! I am going to get these 100%.

Any plans for digital delivery (ie. download) option or I am asking too much?

Pinoy McGee
12-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Tomorrow at noon Aaron Sims from Stan Winston studios (their lead designer) is coming over to finish his first DVD... The new 14 is a killer lineup (as well as the Analog library). I'm definitely gonna order Aaron's DVDs. Coincidentally I just got his and Michael Isner's "Experience XSI 4" book this week.

His DVDs focus on his design process using XSI, DeepPaint, Photoshop and Zbrush.
Nice! Exactly the content I'd like to see.

--------
Just a feedback to Gnomon:

Would it be possible to diversify the bonus sections by Artists who have more than 1 DVD? I liked how Feng threw in some extra content in his first series than the current repetitive galleries right now in the newer Analogs. Even a short bio or even just a short interview would be better if one disk focuses exclusively on individual portfolios.

dstripinis
12-06-2004, 02:46 AM
I saw the anatomy video. It's not about using Zbrush only, starting in zbrush, and finishing in zbrush with the final results being a detailed creature ior human head.

It was a maya to Zbrush work flow vid. I Like What Zbrush is in terms of being a suplimental package to other 3D programs, that's great.. however... It is it's own powerful program on it's own. I'd like to see it used that way.

The one really great thing about the Gnomon videos is they are structured to instruct in a way that you can use in a production environment. And outside of maybe some print applications, I don't see how Z-Brush can be used alone. Most users want to see it integrated into their existing pipelines.

Ollarin
12-06-2004, 03:29 AM
Those DVD's look so awesome...Grrr...It's so expensive! Nearly $110 here. :(

PixelVampire
12-06-2004, 04:03 AM
OK I have ALL the older poly and texturing dvd's. Will I benefit greately from the new poly and texturing DVDs?????

It seems to me that maybe I should save my $$$ and get some of the other Gnomon DVDs.

What say you?

The subject covered is similar...any advice?

astern
12-06-2004, 03:05 PM
These DVDs look great - looking forward to picking up the mental ray and z brush series for our studio.

Would love to see some VFX-specific titles...IE

-Photogrammetry
-Camera projection techniques
- More Digital Matte Painting/environment work (Dusso is a great artist...but something at less than 175% realtime would be nice!)
-Compositing/3D integration techniques

This is certainly not a complaint re: the new stuff...but would love to see these as well! With Eric's knowledge and experience with the above techniques it would be great to see a live-action/vfx-specific series.

Thanks!

NSXbomb
12-06-2004, 04:00 PM
I
ve got to get those Zbrush DVD's

I got the Dusso DVD, and while It was interesting in parts, I found it more of a concept art dvd not a digital matte painting video. Ryan Church did a better job of those.. (no offense just being honest)

I know it was just understanding the basics, but it would have been a lot more valuable to me if he had made one painting all the way through.

Anyway, I'm hoping the next one will do that.

Rendering and painting a wildebeest was by far the most effective. I found that the guy really gave me detailed instructions and a deep insight as to his thinking process. I learned a ton.In fact I'd have to say I learned more about photoshop in one lesson then I have in 7 years on the job! What a pro!

markyjerky
12-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Does "Analog DVD" mean will play on my DVD/TV ???

My $69.00 Panasonic VHS/DVD Player I bought last year and hooked up to my TV ?

I see some nice vids here ... but I just want to watch them from my Easy-Chair.

Morph21
12-06-2004, 05:29 PM
"Analog DVD" mean the stuff is about Drawing, Matte Painting, Sculpting etc. and not digital work like in Maya :)

But you can watch the DVDs on the DVD Player at the TV, i do also :thumbsup:

Strang
12-06-2004, 05:30 PM
XSI training from Gnomon..

I just wet myself:argh:

Sil3
12-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Finally Gnomom embraces XSI hehehe, thanks.

Just one question, how about an European resseler? Shipping charges and Custom taxes alone are more than the price of the DVDīs... :sad:

onlooker
12-06-2004, 08:09 PM
For those about to buy these to watch on their home DVD players. It appears these new digital titles are no longer playable on your home DVD player. They require a special codec. I could be wrong, but system requirements make it appear that they are quicktime/like movie files on a DVD disk. I hope they are playable on a home DVD player though because that is how I've always played them. Now I'm questioning weather or not to buy. :banghead:

dotTom
12-06-2004, 08:20 PM
For those about to buy these to watch on their home DVD players. It appears these new digital titles are no longer playable on your home DVD player. They require a special codec. I could be wrong, but system requirements make it appear that they are quicktime/like movie files on a DVD disk. I hope they are playable on a home DVD player though because that is how I've always played them. Now I'm questioning weather or not to buy. :banghead:Why? One of the problems with watching on TV is spending 3 hours trying to make out the icons on a UI that's best run at atleast 1280 * 1024. Having decent pin-sharp screen grabs is a huge step up I think.

JDex
12-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Why? One of the problems with watching on TV is spending 3 hours trying to make out the icons on a UI that's best run at atleast 1280 * 1024. Having decent pin-sharp screen grabs is a huge step up I think.
Couldn't agree more... I was once against the computer movies on a disc idea, but the XSI Production DVDs changed that... full resolution, no pan and zoom.

onlooker
12-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Why? One of the problems with watching on TV is spending 3 hours trying to make out the icons on a UI that's best run at atleast 1280 * 1024. Having decent pin-sharp screen grabs is a huge step up I think.

I like it because I don't have to switch between app's (dvd player, and Maya), and I can have them both up and visible in full resolution at the same time. Don't get me wrong I've used them on my computer many times in the past, but after the analog series came out, and I started watching them this way I started to prefer it. ;) I don't have dual monitors, but that would obviously be the ideal scenario IMO.

dmeyer
12-07-2004, 02:29 AM
No pre-ordering action? :sad:

dotTom
12-07-2004, 02:56 AM
I like it because I don't have to switch between app's (dvd player, and Maya), and I can have them both up and visible in full resolution at the same time. Don't get me wrong I've used them on my computer many times in the past, but after the analog series came out, and I started watching them this way I started to prefer it. ;) I don't have dual monitors, but that would obviously be the ideal scenario IMO.Assuming your graphics card has dual outputs (its hard to get one these days that doesn't). You can add a TFT second monitor for around the same price as two Gnomon DVDs these days. Yeah, it might not be the same resolution as your primary display (the ideal), but it's still worth it.

onlooker
12-07-2004, 08:45 AM
I cant fit a TFT on this desk, but I would love to have a second LCD. :)

dotTom
12-07-2004, 08:47 AM
I cant fit a TFT on this desk, but I would love to have a second LCD. :)
A TFT is an LCD.

mistafreeze
12-07-2004, 08:53 PM
wow, xsi videos by aaron sims, doesnt get much better!

( just bought xsi last week, and now i find out gnomons going to start xsi videos too, doesnt get much better !) also bought the guys book as well.

though im currently looking forward to the maya videos as well, keep it up guys, and yes more animation videos would be nice, as well as rigging.

as for texturing i see nothing wrong with using nevilles dvds, as those were AMAZING, the UV videos that thier coming out with should address all my other concerns =)

the texturing 5 dvd left me wanting more.

onlooker
12-07-2004, 11:17 PM
A TFT is an LCD.

I don't know why I was thinking CRT. They cost how much, and where?

dotTom
12-15-2004, 05:04 AM
Well the 15th of December has rolled around, come on Alex, enable those "Add to cart" buttons please - the suspense is killing me I have 14 titles to order :-)

DarkTure
12-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Well the 15th of December has rolled around, come on Alex, enable those "Add to cart" buttons please - the suspense is killing me I have 14 titles to order :-)

You better watch them fast, so you can tell me how good they are :)

ajsfuxor
12-15-2004, 10:37 AM
woot!

Just ordered mine! Cant come soon enough...

dotTom
12-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Just ordered the "New Digital Titles Bundle", all 13 titles! :bounce:

Let you know, as I'm sure others will, what they're like when they arrive.

mistafreeze
12-15-2004, 10:43 AM
yeah =P
wasnt expecting a bundle, thats a nice gnomon suprise =)

maybe they will do new release bunldes from now on, would be cool.

i seen the paint effects 2 dvd got pushed back (looks cool), but all that means is more gnomon in janurary =) wouldnt have time to watch it anyway.

also thier now showing how long some of these dvds are 1 of the MR's is 3.5 hours and another is 2.5, so bascially thiers 6 hours of good gnomon instruction on Mray not counting the fundamentals dvd

i emailed the admin yesterday and she said all orders made today will ship out today so enjoy!

mustique
12-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Custom bundles would've been great too. Like %10 price drop if you buy any 8 or ten DVDs.

dotTom
12-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Custom bundles would've been great too. Like %10 price drop if you buy any 8 or ten DVDs.
Yeah - but with the weak dollar you should be laughing anyway right?

ChewyPixels
12-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Can't order any, yet. Girlfriend knows how much I want these, so I should be getting a couple for Christmas! :applause: Then and only then will I know which ones I should order. Yeah, yeah, I know...spoiled. :D

DevilHacker
12-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Any word on when the XSI videos are comming out?

mistafreeze
12-15-2004, 11:50 PM
im pretty sure he said in janurary i woudlnt expect an announcment until maybe the first of janurary or whenever classes start back. (this should be a good dvd the guy aaron sims is teaching, i got his book and its good)

i think i eric hanson is working on some visual effects videos too, maybe they will come out all at the same time. (for maya)

kiaran
12-16-2004, 03:35 AM
These new Gnomon videos look great. I am particularily interested in the mental ray ones.

For those who are looking for new rigging DVD training material. Check out 'The Making of Leon' on www.cgtoolkit.com (http://www.cgtoolkit.com) . I worked with alot of talented people to create this set. I know how much work it is to create a training DVD so I have a lot of appreciation for the Gnomon series.

dotTom
12-16-2004, 03:48 AM
These new Gnomon videos look great. I am particularily interested in the mental ray ones.

For those who are looking for new rigging DVD training material. Check out 'The Making of Leon' on www.cgtoolkit.com (http://www.cgtoolkit.com/) . I worked with alot of talented people to create this set. I know how much work it is to create a training DVD so I have a lot of appreciation for the Gnomon series.
The Leon DVD set rocks. I'm really enjoying working / learning with it. I see you guys have just released version 1.1 of the MuscleTK with the new "Action Lines" control, just downloading this now.

http://www.cgtoolkit.com/public/actionLineTutorial.avi

Auctor
12-18-2004, 08:09 AM
mhmm... i wounder if someone got a "shipped" mail or something like that. I orderd on 15. and on the order status page it says "Your order has been placed."

I Wounder because i orderd with academic pricing and i am not sure if my id was accepted. (i am from germany. maybe they want a translation of the id).

Hope everything is fine and i get it just before xmas. :)

greetings

Martin

dotTom
12-18-2004, 08:37 AM
mhmm... i wounder if someone got a "shipped" mail or something like that. I orderd on 15. and on the order status page it says "Your order has been placed."

I Wounder because i orderd with academic pricing and i am not sure if my id was accepted. (i am from germany. maybe they want a translation of the id).

Hope everything is fine and i get it just before xmas. :)

greetings

Martin
I had a similar question to yours. I ordered the complete New Titles Bundle on Wednesday and just got the same minimal "your order has been placed" response. I called Gnomon in the 'States last night and it had already shipped via UPS. Gnomon where able to dig out my UPS tracking number and I can now see that it's crossed the Atlantic and I should get 'em on Monday.

My advice would be to hang in there. Gnomon try to process received orders within a 24 hour period, so gods willing you should get your DVDs before Christmas. I've never had an order go amiss with Gnomon.

I can't wait. Rather than an Christmas watching tired old re-runs on TV I can lose myself in Gnomon's new DVDs.

Auctor
12-18-2004, 09:58 AM
wohoo... thanks a lot. now i am able to sleep again! hehe... (but still i hope it went fine with the student id. wrote an mail but donīt got an answer. anyway, the gnomon guys have a lot of work to handle all that. so itīs fine.:) )

ordered the complete bundle too. canīt wait any longer! :)

mistafreeze
12-18-2004, 10:24 AM
gnomon has never emailed me when they shipped out a package and when i order 2 day shipping its always here in 2 days

though today mine didnt arrive =( and i ordered @ 3am wed, oh well lets hope thier here monday (good thing they didnt come or i would watch them instead of focusing on my exams)

to bad they dont use fed-ex (they deliver on saturdays)

embodiedform
12-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Any word on when the XSI videos are comming out?
I believe Alex said early in the new year (Jan/ Feb)

dmeyer
12-21-2004, 12:11 AM
If/when folks get these dvds...thoughts?

mistafreeze
12-21-2004, 12:34 AM
from what ive watched so far, very informative, (as most of them are) and more thorough (showing how to actually do things many times as well as explaining the tools indepth and the theorys behind them and other ways to use them)

i can see my workflow increase a good bit, after i finish up some more of these, the interface is nice, and still has the feel of the dvd movies even though thier on your desktop.

im watching the sean mills videos now (obviously havnt had the time to watch a whole set as i just got off work) but im enjoying it so far!

and yah for those wondering the video quality is very good as it seems they used the techsmith codec, so everything is perfect. ill comment more as i watch the other videos but im sure they will be great as well =)

edit. i just have to comment on the interface's layout its just so great, i can see me popping these dvds in, in the future to review lessons quickly, the section when you click on lecture, each section is broken down into a small lecture (similar to what you would get in a formal class setting) and it shows clearly whats covered in this section) this is great, im beyond happy

davpunk
12-21-2004, 12:57 AM
cool. good to hear, I was looking into picking up some of them...
;)

obz
12-21-2004, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback mistafreeze! I hope you enjoy the whole set!:)

Sean.

obz
12-21-2004, 01:14 AM
cool. good to hear, I was looking into picking up some of them...
;)Brown noser :scream: .

By the way everyone, Davpunk there is the man responsible for the layout and design of the DVD and interface graphics.

Be on the lookout for his Photoshop DVD in the near future...

-Sean

davpunk
12-21-2004, 01:19 AM
damn joo! dont you *EVER* disrespect me like that again obz. :P But Thanks!

ajsfuxor
12-21-2004, 03:10 AM
Does anyone have any impressions on the Mental Ray DVDs yet? How in depth are they?

Get mine in a couple of days hopefully, then will let yall know how amazin they are ;)

dotTom
12-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Got my "New Titles" bundle today! So many DVDs, so much to learn, so happy :-) Just in time for the festive holiday (although one suspects there's enough material here to last me until Christmas 2005), thanks Gnomon!

madmanmagic
12-22-2004, 01:07 PM
Hey I just got my first 'NEW' Gnomon DVD "Creature Head Modeling"

So far the content looks great but only one problem the discs do not play on regular DVD player hooked up to TV?

Anyone else notice this?

madmanmagic
12-22-2004, 01:16 PM
The Creature Head Modeling does not come with an extras folder with the image plane photos used in the lecture?

Can anyone confirm the other discs don't have extras folders?

dotTom
12-22-2004, 01:19 PM
The Creature Head Modeling does not come with an extras folder with the image plane photos used in the lecture?

Can anyone confirm the other discs don't have extras folders?
Try looking in the Creature Head disc 2, in the Project_Files\4eyeCreature\sourceimages directory.

No, these DVDs don't play back on a TV. And good thing too, the new high rez movies rock, finally I can see all those icons pixel for pixel. No more headaches.

madmanmagic
12-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks they are on Disc 2 I didn't think to look there.

Anyone have these Creature Modeling DVD? I need the fourEyeCreatureDVD.mb as a .ma file, I don't have Maya 6!

Can anyone convert this to a .ma file for Maya 5 and send it to me?

dan

madmanmagic@mac.com
:banghead:

michelanimator
12-23-2004, 06:07 AM
No, these DVDs don't play back on a TV. And good thing too, the new high rez movies rock, finally I can see all those icons pixel for pixel. No more headaches.
I know what you are talking about man. Can't wait to get hold of the new DVD's.
-Michel

ajsfuxor
12-24-2004, 04:28 AM
WOW...all I can say is WOW...

These DVD's are brilliant. Finally some material catered to production level training.

First of all I have to say that the Mental Ray DVD's are great, simply because they go through every little button/slider/value and describe what it does, and how you use the feature to your advantage. There are plenty of tips in here for all users (especailly some nice tips/explanations on the new SSS shaders in MR).

I also cannot stress enough how valuable the Zbrush DVD's are. If you want to use ZBrush in production, these are fantastic as they go through the basics right up to how to create a fully scuplted human and have is useable back in Maya with the use of proxy models

I am yet to go through some of the other DVD's in the bundle, but the ones i have looked over so far are great.

A must buy!

Great work to all at gnomon who worked on them.

dotTom
12-24-2004, 06:33 AM

These DVD's are brilliant. Finally some material catered to production level training.

First of all I have to say that the Mental Ray DVD's are great, simply because they go through every little button/slider/value and describe what it does, and how you use the feature to your advantage. There are plenty of tips in here for all users (especailly some nice tips/explanations on the new SSS shaders in MR).

I also cannot stress enough how valuable the Zbrush DVD's are. If you want to use ZBrush in production, these are fantastic as they go through the basics right up to how to create a fully scuplted human and have is useable back in Maya with the use of proxy models

I am yet to go through some of the other DVD's in the bundle, but the ones i have looked over so far are great.

A must buy!

I'd second that. I'm working through the polygon DVDs first (although I couldn't resist watching Introduction to ZBrush). The new presentation format rocks, and the quality of the material (so far - I've got a long way to go to finish them all) is second to none - Gnomon's editoral control is clearly very strict. If you get the New Digital Titles Bundle you certainly get your moneys worth, I mean 49.8+ GB of content. Wow. If I where an ISV I'd be banging on Gnomon's door saying "Do a series on my package".

dmeyer
12-24-2004, 01:54 PM

A must buy!

I'd have to agree on all points. The Mental Ray ones are great if you're an artist who wants to or has been wanting to take advantage of Mental Ray in Maya. It's clear and well presented, the video quality is outstanding, and the content levels are staggering. That said, it would be cool to see them do a part IV which gets into more advanced shading tree creation with the MR Phenomenons, etc. Perhaps in the coming months?...
Bottom line is you MUST purchase these if you're a Maya user looking to use Mental Ray. Potential productivity enhancements make the price an absolute steal. (shhh don't tell Gnomon that).

obz
12-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks they are on Disc 2 I didn't think to look there.

Anyone have these Creature Modeling DVD? I need the fourEyeCreatureDVD.mb as a .ma file, I don't have Maya 6!

Can anyone convert this to a .ma file for Maya 5 and send it to me?

dan

madmanmagic@mac.com
:banghead:
You've got mail.

-Sean

BiGMaCHiNe
12-30-2004, 09:02 PM
SO now that the last 13 titles have sorta blown over, does anyone know what titles are going to be released in January. So far I have heard of.

Eric Hansons digital city scape series ( 3 dvds ) - Itching for these ones!
The second paintfx dvd

was the xsi stuff confirmed?

i'd really like to see some more advanced animation titles, some stuff on compositing and perhaps some fluid dvds also.

AlexAlvarez
01-01-2005, 04:45 AM
Hiya.

We will be posting news late next week of the new titles coming mid-late January:

Eric Hanson (Digital Sets)
Greg Downing (Panoramic Imaging and Photogrammetry)
Alex Alvarez (Zbrush)

We will then have another big release mid-late February (20+ titles):

Aaron Sims (Character Design with Photoshop/XSI/DeepPaint/Zbrush)
Ethan Summers (Paint Effects)
David Schoneveld (Fluids)
Christian Lorenz Scheurer (Matte Painting)
Iain McCaig (Visual Storytelling)
Scott Robertson (Rendering and Design)
Mayan Escalante (Maya for Games)
Paul Campion (Texturing)

As you can tell, things are ridiculously busy at the Workshop these days.. The pace of production has increased due to the hiring of several new employees over the past few months, and we hope to keep this up through 2005 with an amazing array of new instructors and titles.

Happy New Year everyone btw... :)
-Alex

dotTom
01-01-2005, 05:34 AM
That's awesome news! Can't wait. Happy New Year to everyone at Gnomon!

Morph21
01-01-2005, 09:04 AM
That is awesome, so many new stuff...keep going on :)

But when will be the second Humanoid Modeling with Sean Mills available where the Alien will be finished, hands, feets and face.

BiGMaCHiNe
01-01-2005, 11:29 AM
"Greg Downing (Panoramic Imaging and Photogrammetry)" !!!

Wow. this is sensational. Im REALLY excited about this. I was already hyped about Hanson's DVDs, but this is the icing on the cake.

Cant wait to see what the other zbrush title/s is/are on specifically also.

madmanmagic
01-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the early news on this Alex and Gnomon folk!

Great to have New - New Years News!

Can't wait to get 'em all!

Happy New Year to all!

mistafreeze
01-01-2005, 02:52 PM
holy sh*t

looks like im going to need to work some overtime

this is great, the last batch of dvds were just to amazing, im sure these newer ones will be as well! thanks alot gnomon! cant say enough about the last batch

madmanmagic
01-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Does anyone have a list of all the latest DVDs, including these Alex mentioned.

I need to update my list of haves and have nots.

:) :bounce:

kiaran
01-02-2005, 11:37 PM
I wonder what the 'Maya for Games' DVD will concentrate on.

Is it modeling for games? Rigging?
Good work guys :)

innervision961
01-03-2005, 02:38 AM
Hi, I was seriously thinking of purchasing a couple of these gnomon DVDs with the left over holiday cash I had, and I had a couple of questions.

First and foremost, I'm looking to greatly improve my modelling and texturing. I primarily do game art, and I was wondering which Gnomon DVDs I should pick up... I was looking at the human head modelling one, and the painting flesh one, as I want to focus on character modelling right now. Will these give me what I'm looking for?

Also, my software packages are photoshop and 3ds max, being that these DVDs appear to be Maya centric, will I have a hard time following along, or do the techniques trancend software packages. I only ask because I want to learn to model, not how to use the tools in Maya to model. I guess the question is, does the human head DVD focus more on the art of modelling rather than going in depth on how to use Maya?

Thanks for your time.

scottsch
01-03-2005, 04:08 AM
...Iain McCaig (Visual Storytelling) That's awesome. Ian McCaig did some brilliant drawings in the Art of Star Wars books. His Sith designs were great. Lucas should have gone with his female Sith, imo.

Any chance of convincing Doug Chiang to do a DVD on concept drawing? He's one of the best concepts artists ever.

I'm just amazed at the level of talent that you guys can bring to the instructional arena. When I went to art school there were few guiding lights among tons of mediocrity and downright artistic destructiveness. Gnomon is a great resource for the real artists out there. Thanks for your efforts.

mistafreeze
01-03-2005, 05:27 AM
the human head modeling dvd covers techniques on how to model a human head using poly's, i find the method straightforward and could easily apply to max provided you know the other tools.

these gnomon videos basically cover the concepts involved in doing whatever thier teaching, they use maya as a means to an end, so yes they go over briefly what each tool does, but that doesnt stop you from being able to use the video to its potential.

the human head modeling dvd is a great approach towards modeling a human head. (one of the most straightforward methods i have seen in a while)

sean mills dvds (humanoid modeling in particular) would be useful towards poly modeling for games as well as film.

since these videos are based on polys, honestly i dont see a reason you cant transfer these concepts to other applications, as polys cant really differ that much from platform to platform, i would just recommend you know the application well enough to improvise the tools used in maya

obz
01-11-2005, 02:06 AM
That is awesome, so many new stuff...keep going on :)

But when will be the second Humanoid Modeling with Sean Mills available where the Alien will be finished, hands, feets and face.
Hey Morph21, I've been fairly busy over the holidays and with work around the office. I hope to finish the Humanoid2 disc in January. I don't know however when a release date would be once the recodring is finished.

Thanks for the feedback guys. A question to all of you would be in furthering the modeling line I have, the next step past what is currently recorded would be working with scan data to create production ready scan based doubles. Using either CySlice/Maya or GSI Studio/Maya.

Since you guys are a representation of the market, would there be interest in a couple of scan based DVDs? Perhaps one of a creature clay model, and one working on a human with a wordrobe and collision/hair growth geometry? (alex know's some ladies that are fairly easy on the eyes :thumbsup: , as well I have a friend on the inside at a scanning facility and could include live footage of the scan session) Let me know how those ideas strike you.

Scan surfacing isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but it's very prominant in feature and broadcast production.

Cheers!

Sean.

Cameo
02-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Hey Alex,

With such a huge variety of analogue and digital titles now and in the making, many of which crossover into each other, would you consider offering a kind of 'pick and mix' bundle? Like where you could get a discount for any 5,10,20 titles bought at once? The bundles are really attractive but it would be great if you could personalise them to some degree to meet your needs. At the moment you are limited to bundles within 2D or 3D, and these are pre-picked. Would be great to pick any selection of titles from each and then get a set 5,10,15% discount etc depending on how many titles bought 5,10,20 etc.

Any thoughts?

danielh68
02-16-2005, 05:01 AM
Cameo, I share your thoughts exactly. It would be great if they'd bundle together individual artists.

Grgeon
02-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Hi,
Can anyone compare Sean Mill's Humanoid modeling/head creature dvd's to freedom-of-teach organic modeling dvd?

I bought and have gone through the freedom of teach dvd, but i would like to know if there are more things i could learn from Mill's dvd's.

Thanks,
George

Grgeon
02-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Also, is there much difference in technique between the creature head modeling dvd and the humanoid modeling from sean mills ? Basically, do i need to get both?

Thanks,
George

BiGMaCHiNe
02-26-2005, 08:57 AM
i have both the creature and the humonoid modelling and i love both.

I have not got the freedom of teach one so i cannot compare. But the humonoid one has taught me alot about organic modelling. edge loops of muscles, how to gradually add in detail over a large mesh such as the alien character. The creature dvd has a similar workflow but i actually liked even more. I was suprised by this cuz i was doubting my choice of purchasing both until i watched 5 minutes of it. i found this dvd good for recognising where edgeloops should on a detailed organic ( wierd ass looking ) head. The model ( by neville page i believe ) is very unique and i found this intuitive because it shows how to tackle a unique concept.
I could blow sunshine out seans ass all day but im pretty sure ive done enuff of that already in this thread and others and im actually starting to get a lil embaresssed about it :(

madman1352000
03-02-2005, 08:29 PM
I bought the Iain McCaig ones the day they were released and have yet to recieve them. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I usally get an email saying saying they were shipped like a day after I get the order placed. I also know that places in california are having weather problems, could this be the case? is the workshop closed? I have called and wrote and haven't got an answer which is kinda strange usally gnomon is quick to answer my questions. Well I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem? I know Alex Alvarez posts so maybe he could answer?

Niyana
03-03-2005, 06:12 AM
I hope the workshop isnt closed. :/ I was actually thinking of ordering those same Iain McCaig DvDs, so once you eventually DO get them, can you post a review on here? I am going to start saving so I can get them a little later on, just curious what someone thought of them. Havent been able to find a review online anywhere. Take care.
Niyana

danielh68
03-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I've ordered a few myself and still waiting. It has been a couple of weeks. This is my first order, so perhaps that's the typical timeframe.

onlooker
03-03-2005, 04:26 PM
That's awesome. Ian McCaig did some brilliant drawings in the Art of Star Wars books. His Sith designs were great. Lucas should have gone with his female Sith, imo.

Any chance of convincing Doug Chiang to do a DVD on concept drawing? He's one of the best concepts artists ever.

I know! Didn't Doug Chiang come up with General Grievous?

On another note, I really hope the analog DVD's are not in the new computer only format because my computer, and my drawing, and drafting table are not the same place. Nor is my Palette. But I have a huge TV, and DVD player by my drawing, and drafting table by where my Palette is located. It would suck only to be able to watch the analog DVD's on my computer.

madman1352000
03-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Okay weird thing I got the dvds today and as I'm opening them I get the email finally saying they were shipped. I'll post my review probably tomorrow or saturday.

oh and on the hyperspace web docs one of the videos is talking about Warren Fu designing Grievous.

madman1352000
03-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Okay I finally watched all 4 of them, so I will give you my opinion/review.

I'll first say that if you just buy these to just see Iain McCaig draw than they're already worth it. Most of the time the video has be sped up, but you can still see the amazing drawing skills. It's also great to see him draw one persons head over and over, each one being totally beautiful each pass. Specially on disc 4 he draws one girls head like 20 times erasing each face until he chooses one he likes(I of course liked them all). I almost barfed cause it's just sick watching him draw the characters..no construction lines and changes poses for character dozen of times and each one he erases looks sweet.

He really goes into story and how to make the characters work towards that story. He also shows you things that may look cool but won't necessiarly work for the story and then how to choose things that will work. Mostly they're about story and character designing. He doesn't give you really any like "how to" type things like this is how you draw arm. He shows you things like coming with up ideas and to make them work toward the story you come up with.

Out of all the disks(I've only bought analog ones) I have and I have almost all of the analog ones, I think Iain's are the best of the bunch. He really seems to enjoy talking and giving ideas on helping you come up with ideas. On some of the other disks sometimes the person doesn't say much and when they do it seems like only stuff that would work for that drawing. Don't get me wrong I love them all I just think Iain's are the best ones so far or the most helpful to me anyway. Big thumbs up :thumbsup:

Also maybe Alex Alvarez can answer this, in some of the disks and in the last one Iain says look forward to disk 5. Will there be more Iain dvds? I think he says it will be about story boarding? If there will be more I'd really like to know cause I need to start saving now then.

Fus|on
03-29-2005, 01:24 AM
man these guys are crazy. Look in the coming soon section.

There goes my savings...

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2005, 01:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.