PDA

View Full Version : Maya Noob: How do i turn on Symmetry?

Capel
12-04-2004, 01:42 AM
in LW it's just shift Y... how do i achieve this in maya so that when i modify one half of the model, the other half is updated accordingly? Thanks, sorry for the annoyance.

Tallacus
12-04-2004, 04:34 PM
sorry.....maya doesnt have a symmetry tool, atleast not one like lightwave has, sorry, there is a possible way to do it, but its to complicated

pencil-head
12-04-2004, 09:47 PM
This way won't merge any verticies but go to...

Edit>Duplicate(options)
and turn on Instance and then put -1 in either the X,Y or Z Scale
OR
Download Connect Poly Shape script (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/mel/?section=polygon&minl=0&maxl=50&sort=file_name#707) from highend3d.com which has a mirror and stitch option as well as a hole bunch of stuff for poly modeling.

Tallacus
12-05-2004, 07:54 PM
thanks for the link

Vertizor
12-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Here's what I usually do to setup a "box modeling" session with sub div.

1. Create a box.

2. Delete one face on the side.

3. In the Polygon menu find the "Smooth Proxy" item, but click the little square at the end of the menu item. That brings up the tool option window.

Play with the options, they're pretty self explanitory, but the section you want to focus on is "Setup". This is where the Mirror options are. You can pick what axis you want to mirror, if it doesn't look right, pick a different axis, there's also +/- variations to each XYZ axis. Merge Tolerance will weld the border vertices together to get rid of the ugly seam in the middle.

Most importantly, whatever you do on this halved polygon proxy, will affect the smoothed mesh on both halves.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.