PDA

View Full Version : FOR REAL: AT-ST Scout Walker

RobertoOrtiz
12-04-2004, 12:26 AM
SOURCE SLASHDOT (http://slashdot.org/articles/04/12/03/228239.shtml?tid=216)

I kid you not.
>>Link<< (http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/04/1203_1a.html)
>>Photos< (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/robots/toyoto-ifoot-and-iunit-026866.php)

Quote:
""Toyota has created a walker robot (http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/04/1203_1a.html) that the driver sits in and controls. It's meant for handicapped people to get around with, but you can easily see the potential for this technology to become the basis for a real-world version of an AT-ST Scout Walker or mobile suit Gundam -- just add guns!" "
-R

JDex
12-04-2004, 12:37 AM
Holy Freakin Crap... My feet would never tough the ground... time to edit my christmas wishlist...

Gotta find a way to strap 2 30mm Laser cannons to the front of that thing...

*scrambles off to drawing board*

TheLostVertex
12-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Holy crap, that is awsome....I wonder how fast one of those would go. I by a MKII model as long is it can whip a mustang ;-)

-Steven

Geta-Ve
12-04-2004, 01:22 AM
wow... only in japan will you find those styles.. lol.. you can bet the designs will be heavily edited for the american audience... either that or the army will snatch those up realy quick.. as jdex said.. strap some guns on it and your set..

Ollarin
12-04-2004, 01:23 AM
Fudgesticles! That's awesome!

*Walks around in AT ST screaming "Rebel scum!"*

BAHAHAHAH!

hypercube
12-04-2004, 01:38 AM
Too Sweet. They've shown that car-chair changing thingy before but the catbird seat walker thing is awesome. I'm sure it's not very fast yet, but it looks pretty agile.

All I can say is, **** Segways :D

PhilOsirus
12-04-2004, 01:51 AM
Just make the seat be right over the legs, and the legs resting ON the legs themselves, and it would be awsome. Right now it just looks crazy, but I guess it's a good way to attract extra attention. I love how Japanese are investing in the future and not just the same ol dust busters.

hypercube
12-04-2004, 01:56 AM
The whole egg pod seems like a safety thing, or maybe just to have room for all the gear that runs it..but it looks like no matter how bad a spill you took in it you'd still be ok.

P.S. I dig the way it kneels down in the pics on the toyota site.

Geta-Ve
12-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Main Specifications
Height 2,360 mm
Weight 200 kg
Degrees of Freedom 12
Weight Capacity 60 kg
Walking Speed 1.35 km/h

Doesnt hold much..... isnt 60kg like 120bs? guess thats the average japanese... americans are bigger though... unless my math is mixed up..

and 1.35km/h is not too bad... whats the segway do? and plus for a walker thats a good spead i would think... sounds like a stroll to me..

catabolicmaster
12-04-2004, 02:53 AM
It's meant for handicapped people to get around with
Then why are there people in funky star trek suits sitting in 'em?
And.. we already have wheelchairs for the immobile...

This is just a coverup of the japanese's secret military Gundam project!:eek:

rickmann
12-04-2004, 03:25 AM
well I guess I'll be trading in my truck this year!!! Do you know if they have any video clips on the walker?? I would really like to know if you get thrown around alot or if the walk cycle is very comfortable!

harlan_hill
12-04-2004, 03:27 AM
It'll carry roughly 132lbs, and walks at around 1mph. (.8388 to be exact). So it's a little slow moving for now, but I'm sure the next gen model will kick some speed ass.

Zeruel the 14th
12-04-2004, 03:46 AM
Holyshit thats cool even if the colours and suiting are bit on the 'probably illegal' induced side. The walker reminds me of a evil egg. Probably the one from Danger Mouse as i recall, or was that count duckula?

Anyway, very cool. What is it with the japanese and their pursuit of all things robotic? Do the big japanese companies shiff major profits in the years to come based on robotic technology?

Lyr
12-04-2004, 04:09 AM
strap some guns on it and your set..
Till it gets knocked over. An AT-ST would be worthless in combat you want armored treads, not flimsy legs on your armored vehicles.

Geta-Ve
12-04-2004, 04:17 AM
lyr - ya i had already thought of that, and was gonna address it to.. but there was no good comeback... lol... so i just left that little part out ;)

maybe put so ol' thrusts on it? then it can get up, or arms... :p

GregRinaldi
12-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Only in Japan. It's kind of a cool novelty, but it's going to have to undergo some MAJOR modifications before it'll ever be ready for public consumption. As others have mentioned, one misstep or mischeivous skater kid and that baby is going dooown for the count. And nobody is gonna be able to put your Humpty Dumpty Ass back together again cause that thing is frickin huge! I doesn't even look like it could fit through a door! Where on Earth would you be able to use that thing? Unless they trim that sucker down, you'd probably be much more comfy with a set of wheels under you.

On a side note: The dude who came up with the name "i-Foot" should feel the wrath of Voltron. I mean seriously guys, "i-Foot"? Say that five times fast. WTMF!? And those designs...good grief! I thought this was Toyota, not Apple!

Also, Vader is about to force choke the shit out of someone unless that mofo gets fitted for some side-mounted blasters. :argh:

ace4016
12-04-2004, 06:43 AM
The Japanese are making thier animes come true, were doomed:eek: (in a few yeasr when they improve it a bit). And I am sure they thought up of some way fro the walker to get up if it falls, if not the "pilot" is protected from a fall

Zeruel the 14th
12-04-2004, 07:18 AM
'I-Foot' sounds silly, they should just call them "The Wrong Trousers."

They just hurry up and start making powered armour. Unlike giant robots. Armoured suits, or small robots, are far more useful.

Frank Lake
12-04-2004, 09:24 AM
*inner fanboy is aroused*

:applause: :bounce: :love:

Oh yeah! Gotta love how the legs remind you of Mechwarriors material!

Solothores
12-04-2004, 03:03 PM
hm, interesting but I doubt that the walker concept will make it ever into military use beyond the underlying principle of an exoskelett extension for a personal armor. Maybe and just maybe a walker would have a slight advantage over normal ways of transport (groundnear chassis etc) in citylike enviroments, where a maximum of maneuverability is crucial and height could make an argument for assignment, as being an efficient instrument for intimidation.

As someone mentioned already here, no need to go in height, if you can stay close to the ground. Crawler, wheels, hover cushion or maybe hoover technology (when it gets developed) do the same job more reliable on battlefields I would say, cheaper and with outstanding efficiency, I guess. Military design fits close to the purpose, looking stylish is no argument. And honestly I fail to see any critical advantage for a walker. But I am open to your arguments.

Although rich residential or business customers could be a considerable market for walkers as a status symbol... if they ever get a admittance for open transport.

Besides of that,
Nice that someones spends time on development, since an AT-ST would indeed be a cool thing to look at :D

RobertoOrtiz
12-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Well I think that the walker concep has merit.

Think of Jungle like enviroments, where crawler like heavy armor cannot go
into. With this concept you could have a mobile artillery piece, in places where normaly
you would not have one.

-R

siouxfire
12-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Wow!!! I'm going to have to see if I the board will invest in that "new workstation chair" I need.

And surely the technology already exists to make an Alien-style "loader" then? That'd be sweet.

rickmann
12-04-2004, 03:41 PM
cool.. they just showed it on the news last night after this thread opened. It looked preety cool!! And looked liked they moved pretty smooth too!

DotPainter
12-05-2004, 12:53 PM
I am sure this is just sideshow eye candy for the consumer, just like the futuristic cars they have at car shows that never get built. This is probably the tip of the iceberg in terms of designs on the drawing board or stuff that is still in the lab that we may never see. The Japanese do have a fascination with humanoid robots, as it has been a siginificant part of their sci/fi culture. It seems that the corporations and academic institutions in Japan are persuing a robotic future, fueled by scientists who grew up on anime and are now trying to make it happen.

20megmachine
12-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Then why are there people in funky star trek suits sitting in 'em?
And.. we already have wheelchairs for the immobile...:shrug:Now the immobile won't need help to get up stairs

percydaman
12-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Well I think that the walker concep has merit.

Think of Jungle like enviroments, where crawler like heavy armor cannot go
into. With this concept you could have a mobile artillery piece, in places where normaly
you would not have one.

-R
as someone who is prior light infantry and have been in jungles on more then one occasion, I can tell you that its tough enough to be a young, nimble human and move about in the jungle. Seeing that thing in a jungle environment trying to get around trees, roots and such, brings back not so fond memories.. that walker needs the flattest smoothest ground it can find.

slaughters
12-05-2004, 02:34 PM
For a coolness factor this rates two thumbs up, 100%, etc.

From a practical design concept it STINKS.

If it is for physically handicapped people then how the heck will they be able to actually get into the thing? It looks like it requires a pretty flexible and nimble person to get inside the walker robot, an almost impossible design for someone who has limited use of their legs and very little upper body strength.

Look at the size of the feet on the I-Foot thing. At least half of the foot would hang out over any step in a normal sized home. The average stairway width found in a home would not accomidate the robots width either.

Heck, it does not even look like any of the robots can even fit through a normal sized doorway. How useful is that to a handi-capped person?

This is pure show room eye-candy. Pretty appearence designed to make you look at their (Toyotas) presentaton but totally impractable for everyday use and it will never be made available to the general public.

zappenduster
12-05-2004, 06:46 PM
as someone who is prior light infantry and have been in jungles on more then one occasion, I can tell you that its tough enough to be a young, nimble human and move about in the jungle. Seeing that thing in a jungle environment trying to get around trees, roots and such, brings back not so fond memories.. that walker needs the flattest smoothest ground it can find.

who said something about walking around =) just think of it as a enhancer for the human muscle power (ok it wouldnt be sneaky quiet but i think a enhanced amor and mobility would beat that)

and the 1kmh speed is just the beginning just remember with what speed tanks started and now they are faster then 50mph

oh and to the knock down comment just check the army extralist for the jetpack upgrade =)

lanedaughtry
12-05-2004, 11:11 PM
That is f'in amazing.

-L

Lyr
12-05-2004, 11:20 PM
oh and to the knock down comment just check the army extralist for the jetpack upgrade =) Jetpacks? more fuel, which means more armor to protect the expanded fuel capacity, which means it gets heavier making it slower and an even bigger target for an ass kicking (assuming such "jetpack" technology even exists in a capacity that is reliable enough for combat) . Get over your anime induced wet dreams about robotech becoming real. The future of mechanized combat is going to be in remotely operated aircraft and other vehicles.

ace4016
12-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Well I dont think remote controled vehicles would in the future of comabt too much becuase of the risk of communicaion interception and the fact that you would need one hell of a human interface for the remote to get the responsivness of a human. A.I. might be the best bet for the future, but enhancing humans with biology or machine would be a bit more real for the near future. Just my opinion.

BigJay
12-06-2004, 06:03 AM
With this stuff already out today in 10 years walkers are going to be all over the place. It won't take them long to make the ifoot able to recover it's balance if tripped or hit. The Sony Qrio already has a crude form of impact management built in and can get back to it's feet if knocked over.

Damn, Never thought I would see this kind of stuff this early.

blank
12-06-2004, 08:25 AM
Pretty cool, suppose the use of this technology would be in the future once they have got its size down so that its a comparible match for your own legs, or lack of, no more wheel chairs, easy access up and down stairs, rough ground etc.

olblue
12-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Where are the chain gun mounts?

PokeChop
12-06-2004, 08:14 PM
This thing got a slot for my iPod, like the BMW connection thingy?

jackburton
12-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Walking AT-AT type walkers, well with six legs anyway, have been around for quite awhile. Check this out, their main purpose is for use in forestry. They've even got some nice videos.

http://www.plustech.fi/Walking1.html

The two legged thing looks a little odd though. Not that I'm surprised-it did come from Toyota.

KevinKraeer
12-06-2004, 11:54 PM
The Japanese are making thier animes come true
Imagine.

Suddenly, whenever anyone talks, they shout, without opening their mouth very much, and blue streaks and light whip by behind them.

RobertoOrtiz
12-07-2004, 05:43 AM
Walking AT-AT type walkers, well with six legs anyway, have been around for quite awhile. Check this out, their main purpose is for use in forestry. They've even got some nice videos.

http://www.plustech.fi/Walking1.html

The two legged thing looks a little odd though. Not that I'm surprised-it did come from Toyota.
Wow! Great site!
-R

Q_B
12-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Yeah! I'd rather troll around on one of those ant-like green/black mean harvester than on those egg-like puny walkers! I mean, the harvester LOOKS solid and reliable!

Supervlieg
12-07-2004, 09:33 AM
great, now I want one!

zappenduster
12-07-2004, 09:14 PM
great, now I want one!
and look christmas is near =)

@lyr you do realize i was making an ironic comment, do you ?

next time try to be a little bit more mature thx very much

and to the jetpack topic those where already tested 10 or 20 years ago i would think the technology has been a little advanced in the days since then...

Agent Vesago
12-08-2004, 02:35 AM
Yeah, the rocket pack idea has been around for a long time. The tech hasn't advanced much since it was invented.

This link (http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/dsh/artifacts/RM-RocketBelt.htm) has more information about it.

These guys (http://www.rocketmaninc.com/technical.html) do regular performances.

Juneno
12-08-2004, 05:28 AM
The only thing really cool sci-fi thing the army has got going is the scorpion suit. I’ve read a lot about it and supposedly it can even enhance strength with some sort of fibers the tense when electric current goes through them. It’s got a lot of cool features like automatic truncating wounds and helmets that can do stuff from thermal vision to GPS… Anyways all in all it still wont be ready for use until like 2009-2011.

On a completely different note this is my first post and just wanted to also say Hi to everybody.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.