PDA

View Full Version : Polar Express Gaining Steam?

Brettzies
12-03-2004, 08:36 PM
http://www.einsiders.com/gross.php

Despite the monster price tag and relatively mixed reviews, The Polar Express continues to gain steam, finishing the weekend as the only film in the top ten to see an increase in ticket sales (up 28%) from last weekend. Earning $20.1 million from Fri.-Sun. and $27.1 million over the five-day frame, the $165 million budgeted family film has now grossed $82.2 million in 19 days, and should break $100 million by the end of the year.

I'm somewhat surpised by this, that it actually increased(though still got beat by The Incredibles), but also wondered if it would do better as Christmas approaches. Mainly there isn't that much to see so kids might want to go if they haven't already. I haven't seen it, so I can't judge, but everytime I work up the desire to go, I think...I'd rather go see the Incredibles again, dahling!

ps. sorry if this has been discussed, i couldn't find it, but only went back two pages.

-Vormav-
12-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Seems pretty obvious to me that its sales would increase. It's a Christmas movie, and Christmas is getting closer.
Still though, if it's looking like they'll only take in $100mil by the end of the year, they could be in some trouble. I'd imagine that the sales on xmas movies would drop dramatically after xmas. How much does the average movie take in with DVD/VHS sales these days?

PhilOsirus
12-04-2004, 02:54 AM
Yeah when are they going to release a christmas 3D movie on DVD, in September 2005?

hypercube
12-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Yeah, saying they only expect it to make $20m more in the entire next month, and end the year at $100m, doesn't sound that fantastic or optomistic. Especially if you add the marketing costs which bring the total to $270m.

I still haven't seen it either..it's even playing in IMAX-3D near me, but the same theater also has Incredibles showing on one of the best-tweaked DLP setups I've ever seen, so it's won out every time I've gone there..just can't get enough of that Incredible stuff.

DVD sales can account for a HUGE slice of revenue though, some movies have even made more on the DVD than at the box office. But timing is everything.

slug
12-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Is this figure for the us market only? Because I would expect it to do quite well internationally, though I am not going to see it

sundialsvc4
12-04-2004, 02:39 PM
I dunno... Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman were on TV again this year, right on schedule. How many millions have those cranky old chestnuts generated, eh? :bounce:

SpiralFace
12-04-2004, 07:19 PM
I went and saw it on IMAX 3D and I took home a pretty good experiance. It was not as incredible as the Incredibles, but still enjoyable. The Zombie kids did get to me, but there where alot of other wonderful things that played off well in the 3D version like the PoV camera shots with snow literaly comming straight at you. But when I talked to my mother about it, she loved it, even without the 3D. Along with alot of my younger cosins. It seems to be hitting that christmas cord with its target audiance. And I hope that at least gives them enough steam to hit that $100 mil by the end of the year. But just out of curiosity, what is the average gross on a christmas movie in its opening year to begin with?

As sundialsvc4 has pointed out, Christmas movies always seem to be re-broadcasted for TV, and I can see DVD sales continueing on for years to come if it realy plays well with the kids. I mean, look how long the Rudolf and frosty movies have been out. And they still sell, after all these years.

kex
12-04-2004, 09:44 PM
itl take till next christmas to hit dvd ? yeah ?

lanedaughtry
12-04-2004, 11:08 PM
They'll make their money, just not as quickly as they would have liked.

-L

sundialsvc4
12-05-2004, 02:36 AM
I finally saw it, and I'm sad to say that I was not nearly as impressed as I thought I would be. The script needed some very serious editing ... maybe this should have been an hour long and made for TV. The kids break out in song at rather inopportune moments, and I simply lost count of the number of times and number of ways we are treated to trips down CG roller-coasters. Perhaps seeing an ad for Hallmark Cards, telling me just where I could buy consumer schlock based on the film, put me off.

There were some surprising and well-executed pieces of detail. The locomotive modeling was superb, and I was startled to see that what the nerdy-kid said about the make, model and weight of the engine was correct. Many subtleties of texture, smoke, lighting and so-on were spot on. The cinematography in the opening scenes was particularly clever.

So, why were the non-motion-captured character movements unbelievably "liquid?" Why did the hair sometimes move against the wind? Why did we have Elves playing rock-music toward the end of the movie, "just because Shrek did it?"

I understand that the animators were trying hard to capture the artwork of Chris Van Alsing, and they did. But I had the uncomfortable feeling that there was a really huge committee of cooks in this kitchen. I felt that the story lagged, frequently and seriously.

The movie will make money for many years. Christmas films always do, and this film, despite its flaws, is well-executed. But it was much less than what I hoped it would be.

Edit... Let me say again that "my expectations were high." And it must also be said that, "Yes, I felt the magic. Yes, it was a beautiful piece of work."

worker_bee
12-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Brett, this weekend box office backs you up.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/weekendboxofficer.html

The costly computer-animated children's fable "The Polar Express," which started off slowly three weeks ago, is still chugging along, rising one to No. 3 with $11.0 million. The total for Warner Bros.' $170 million-budgeted production rose to $96.4 million.

This is while Incredibles fell 2 places with $9 million and dropped 62%.

My Fault
12-05-2004, 11:08 PM
And how much less has Polar Express made then Incredibles again Worker? Only $135+million more and it will make (maybe) a profit. Incredibles only needs...ummm, wait, it's already made a profit. It's also interesting that PE is still in the same number of theatres as it was a few weeks ago while Incredibles drops a few hundred theatres a week.

Just what is your obsession with PE and the Incredibles Worker? Did a superhero kick your dog? Pixar throw out your demo reel? Just curious why you hold so strongly on to such a poor film as PE.

Magnusv
12-06-2004, 12:39 AM
In the long run,it will make profit.It is a good Xmas time fkick,Dvd sales World wide,etc,but still Incredibles is just in another league.:)

hobbes17r
12-06-2004, 01:33 AM
With Christmas with the Kranks (holding at 4% on rottentomatoes!) being the only alternative for festive holiday audiences this year, you can bet that PE will continue this trend through Christmas. The film will do fine by the time it's done with DVD sales; it isn't the complete "train wreck" some argued, though it is a shame to see the excellent modeling and shading work in this film go towards a story and "animation" technique that couldn't live up to the same level.

If "performance capture" lives on with respect to feature-length lead performances in the near future, I hope the next director to pick it up just goes ahead and uses it to make a straight-up zombie movie. That would be cool.

BillB
12-06-2004, 02:01 AM
I still haven't seen it either..it's even playing in IMAX-3D near me, but the same theater also has Incredibles showing on one of the best-tweaked DLP setups I've ever seen
To wander off topic a bit, I just caught The Incredibles in Singapore while I was over there, on a digital screen (Orchard Cineleisure). Was disappointed with how easy it was to tell it was coming off a "computer" - aliasing/pixels visible - to a trained eye. Is this normal?

I mean it was on a pretty big screen and was plenty bright and clean otherwise, so they were using something pretty good to project it, but it was certainly a bit of a let down if this is normal for Digital. Is it?

Triple G
12-06-2004, 02:58 AM
I mean it was on a pretty big screen and was plenty bright and clean otherwise, so they were using something pretty good to project it, but it was certainly a bit of a let down if this is normal for Digital. Is it?

I remember seeing SW EpII on a digitally projected screen, and came away with the same feeling. Not the awe-inspiring experience I expected... :hmm:

(Sorry for going off-topic here, guys...)

Laa-Yosh
12-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Some movie digital projectors' resolutions are only 1280 pixels wide, which means you get to see less detail...

BillB
12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Some movie digital projectors' resolutions are only 1280 pixels wide, which means you get to see less detail...
I did a bit of research, and that cinema is supposedly full res.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.