PDA

View Full Version : Renderman Demo?

DrEvilBear
12-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Hey Guys

Just a quickie, I'm just wondering if there is a legally downloadable demo for Renderman anywhere on the web?

Any advices appreciated!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Matt

Andrew W
12-03-2004, 02:20 PM
There will be a 30 day trial version of the new RenderMan For Maya package due out in 2005 but I don't think that there is one for RenderMan Artist Tools. You could of course look at Liquid and 3Delight for a free way of doing RenderMan compliant renders from Maya.

Hope that helps.

A

DrEvilBear
12-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the help (again!)

Could you just go briefly into what you mean about Liquid and 3Delight? I'm unaware of what they are, and don't really know what is meant by Renderman compliant renders either - sorry :)

Thanks

Matt

Andrew W
12-03-2004, 03:58 PM
RenderMan per se is not a single piece of software. It is a standard (like postscript is for print) for describing 3D objects to a renderer. Pixar, who developed this standard, have a product called Photo Realistic RenderMan or PRMan which is what you're refering to. Other people have implemented RenderMan compliant renderers and 3Delight is one of the better ones (and it's free, which doesn't hurt).

Of course you need a way to get your scene from your 3D application (like Maya for example) into your renderer so you need a piece of software to take the scene in your app and make it into a file that a RenderMan renderer can read. These files are called RIB files. Pixar can sell you a tool called MtoR which will do this but as with all Pixar products it's rather expensive. Liquid is a plug-in for Maya that will create RIB files that can be sent to a RenderMan complaint renderer. It is written by Colin Doncaster and was used by Weta for Lord of The Rings.

So, you model and animate in Maya, use Liquid to create a RIB file from your scene and the use 3Delight to render that RIB file.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Andrew

rebo
12-04-2004, 05:15 AM
I think Pixar offer a 30 day trial for serious potential clients.

Other commerical renderman renderers such as Air probably have a demo too.

http://www.sitexgraphics.com/html/air.html

Ofcourse there are free implementations like Aqsis , 3Delight, and BMRT.

rendermaniac
12-05-2004, 09:17 PM
There is a Windows installer for Liquid and 3delight by Moritz Múller which has quite good documentation here:
http://www.plastickitten.net/liquidwiki/index.php/Main_Page

Simon

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.