PDA

View Full Version : Problems with unwrap UVW...

Damm
08-28-2002, 08:22 PM
I don't know if i'm doing this right(i started with 3d modeling a week ago). when i unwrap my model, in this case an hoverboard, i get this... this is with the bottom textured... but ehan i apply it to the model in 3dsmax5 i can only see it when i render, not in the "edit UVWs"... so i can't get the texture to fit... plz help me... maybe i'm not doing it right and maybe some of you have a good tutorial for it for 3dsmax...

Damm
08-28-2002, 08:25 PM
the picture is a screenshot from the "edit UVWs" and then i applied the textures in photoshop...
and by the way... the model looks like this when i apply it... i saw the links Leigh posted but it's just for lightwave...

Tumerboy
08-28-2002, 09:49 PM
I think you're talking about being able to see your image in the background of the UV Editor? i.e. so you can line things up?

If I remember, you click in the upper right of the window, there should be a drop down menu, (I think it says something like, "Texture")

Then select the image that you want to see and it should show up. . .

Hope that helps. . .

Let me know if I'm on the totally wrong track here.

Damm
08-29-2002, 05:46 AM
hmm... i did that earlier but nothing happened...
if im doing 3dsmax5 tutorial for new texturing, then i can see the image in the edit view...

Tumerboy
08-29-2002, 06:03 AM
Dunno, haven't played with 5 yet. . . but it worked for me in 4.2. . . maybe someone else has a better idea.

Sorry I couldn't help out more.

leigh
08-29-2002, 07:27 AM
Well, the thing that strikes me as a bit perculiar in the first place is the fact that you are having sizing issues :surprised
That is not supposed to happen with UVs - part of the whole point of working with them is that they are correctly sized.

I think I may know what your problem is - how did you get your UVs to Photoshop? Did you use a screengrab? If so, you need to make sure that you keep your image size cropped to the entire original template - it's a square. Even if your UVs only sit in the middle of that square, you still need to make sure that the image remains at those dimensions ;)

The reason why I wonder if this is what has gone wrong is because the image you have posted is rectangle. So unless you have used a UV Unwrap plugin that generated a rectangular template, I think that the reason might be what I explained above :)

As for the images not showing in your viewport - I really have no idea, I'm afraid.... :sad:

Damm
08-29-2002, 10:24 AM
Well i did use printscrn so that may be the problem... But it's strange that i can't see it in the edit view... thnx for your replies...

Damm
08-29-2002, 01:47 PM
One other strange thing is that if i load my picture to the tutorial, i can see my picture.
But i can't see anything different in the settings that i use for my model and for the tutorial model...

leigh
08-29-2002, 03:04 PM
Yeah, but you shouldn't have to worry about that right now, because if you crop your screengrab properly, you won't have to be able to see it in the viewport, because you won't have to edit the size.

Damm
08-29-2002, 03:24 PM
well... now i cant even see the crappy texture when i render... and how do i know what reolution the picture are going to be???
i'm a beginner and this ain't funny...
Or is there any good plugins for this...
i'm using 3ds max5...

Damm
08-29-2002, 04:17 PM
hmm... it looks alright now, but i don't know what i did to make i work... but i can't still se the image in the edit view... but as you say, i don't need to...
:arteest:

leigh
08-29-2002, 04:27 PM
Well, as long as it's working, that's just great ;)

Maybe it's just a bug in the file that is preventing the textures from showing in the edit view :shrug:
Sometimes bugs like this just happen for bizarre reasons :)

By the way, a hint for in future - when making colour maps from photos, be sure to remove the lighting from them ;)

Damm
08-29-2002, 05:20 PM
thnx... I'll remember that...

-wT-
08-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Abbegon
... and how do i know what reolution the picture are going to be???...

The only important thing is the ratio of the image, not the size.
What I mean is, that if you make a rectangle UV map (Can it be something else then? :)), it doesn't matter if it's 125*125 pixels, 800*800 or 5530*5530, as long as the ratio of the image stays put.

leigh
08-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by -wT-
The only important thing is the ratio of the image, not the size.

Oh no no no no, I absolutely disagree! :surprised
Not about the ratio thing, that obviously is true, but the size of the image is EXTREMELY important!!

What do you think your objects surface is going to look at if you make it's image maps at 125x125 pixels when you watch it on a TV screen???
PIXELLATED AN ICKY.

The size of the image map is critical to the final quality of it's appearance in the final render.
I work primarily with video and film resolution renders, and I never make any image map anything under 1000x1000 pixels.

-wT-
08-29-2002, 07:25 PM
Oh heck, good point Leigh, my bad.
Wasn't thinking it like that, what I ment was that you don't directly see somewhere that it's going to be 256*256 now, and oh this bottle needs a 1000*1000 map, but good thing you corrected that ;)

So, to get correct imagemaps, the ratio is crucial, and the size of the map is to control the quality (To make a long story short)

leigh
08-29-2002, 07:34 PM
Aaah, well put :thumbsup:
To cut a very long story short ;)

Damm
08-30-2002, 06:47 AM
I did my texture in 1024*1024, so it's pretty good... i can post some pictures if you want.

blacknight
09-01-2002, 02:07 AM
i know what you cant see the image in the edit UVW`s window i hat the same problem before

go to option-> advanced option (or hit ctrl-o) and them uncheck affect center tile

that should show the image in the Edit UVW`s windows:thumbsup:

foche
09-03-2002, 06:48 PM
Well.....I had the same problem with no texture view in the unwrap uvw editor, so I discovery....in the editor unwrap exists a button show options, click there, so will appear a window, where has a brightness control, set it to 1.0...and...thats it:P

Atog
09-03-2002, 06:55 PM
yes i'd the same problem before, solve it as Slayer just said...but Max put the brightness control to 0 each time i run it...some solutions to make this change as defaut value ?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.