PDA

View Full Version : maya retiming tool?

JoeBun
12-02-2004, 10:36 PM
I'm looking for a plugin or something that will allow me to retime an animation. I found a plugin called retimer.mel but it didn't work for me (I'm using 5.0). I'd appreciate any suggestions, thx.

Alternately, if anyone has any advice on how to do this from within Maya (I have multiple elements with keyframes) I'd be willing to try that too.

Goon
12-02-2004, 11:36 PM
There's a plugin called titan 2

it retimes your keys according to the rate which you drag the time slider at. I found it moderately useful, but never used it intensively.

I don't know if it was recompiled for maya 6, but it is available for 5.

Oh, and it costs $50

misterdi
12-03-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure what retimer.mel do, but if you want to timewarp your animation maybe you could take a look at ajrTimeWarp.mel.

Basically the idea is to insert another animCurveTT node between time1 and the animation curves for objects in the scene, which mean it will map your time into another time (timewarp).

I believe ajrTimeWarp has GUI, and let you choose to timeWarp the entire scene or just selected objects.

Best regards,

JoeBun
12-03-2004, 03:10 PM
I tried titan, but I need to be able to retime my animation to a specific length and I don't think titan is suited for that.

I also tried AJRtimewarp. but can't seem to get it working. What version of Maya are you using misterdi?

misterdi
12-04-2004, 12:29 PM
It's version 5.0. What is the problems with the mel script. Is it launching the GUI or do you have any error message when you launch it?

JoeBun
12-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Yeah AJRtimewarp doesn't do anything when I try and load the script up. I'm using 5.0 too, but for some reason it nothing happens with it. No gui or anything.

antweiler
12-04-2004, 04:54 PM
you can put your animation into a character clip, and retime this using a timewarp curve in the trax editor. This way you dont loose the original animation

JoeBun
12-04-2004, 05:11 PM
I tried playing around with the trax editor, but I couldn't quite figure it out. I can't seem to find many tutorials or help pages that deal with using the trax editor in depth. Can you recommend any sites or books?

misterdi
12-07-2004, 06:38 AM
Yeah AJRtimewarp doesn't do anything when I try and load the script up. I'm using 5.0 too, but for some reason it nothing happens with it. No gui or anything.
You may need to source the file first, use script editor file->Source Script, and the call the proc from the command line `ajrTimeWarp`;

It will open a GUI for you, with box and radio button, so you could apply warp to selected objects or entire scene, and add the timewrap as a new timewrap or replace existing timewarp.

If your object has hierarchy it could do "none", "above", "below" or "both" to timewarp, default is below (so it includes all children but not parent).
Also in hypergraph it could timewarp upstream nodes (let say you have animate also upstream node).

When you apply the timewarp, this script will create an animCurveTT with name as "timeWarp", it won't display as default in outLiner, but if you unchecked the "DAG objects only", you will see it in outliner.

If you have difficulties finding it, you could issue "select -r timeWarp" to select it from command line.

Open graph editor, you would see a curve that's map system time to your existing animation, usually it start as 1 at frame 1, and as 100 at frame 100. By modifying this curve you can easily map the time as 1 at frame 1, and as 100 at frame 50, which means when you are at frame 50, you will see the original animation as at frame 100. When the curves is flat there will be no change in time so you can get a freeze effect, and ofcourse you could do an ease-in or ease-out for your animation.

This is same with TRAX, but in this case you don't need to create a clip, it just connecting all your animCurve to the output of the timeWarp node.

The idea of maping times is to give you freedom to speed-up or slowdown your animation when it is necessary, also you could add keyframes if needed.

If you select your animated objects and do a show result in graph editor you could see how the timeWarp effecting the curves, un fortunately it showing same color as the original so for each curve you got a pair, original and result, which is some times difficult to see when there are hundreds of them.

The author of this script is Andy Rawling from BBC and you hopefully you can contact him at andy.rawling@relaymail.net

Hope this help.

JoeBun
12-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I tried sourcing the script and it still didn't work. I don't know what the problem is, maybe I will try emailing the author. Still, at this point I've just ended up retiming the thing manually. Thanks for the help though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.