PDA

View Full Version : tablet VS mouse

SquirrelyJones
08-28-2002, 06:52 PM
how much easier does having a drawing tablet really make texturing? Half the time when I'm doing wrinkls on faces and stuff I have to draw it all out with a pencil and scan it in and this has a bunch of problesms of its own. And the last time I tried to texture a hand with a mouse I almost developed carpol tunnel syndrom. So I'm wondering is it worth the $100 for a wakom tablet or should I stick with the mouse and get surgury later on down the road.

coCoKNIght
08-28-2002, 07:04 PM
I just buyed a tablet one week ago: It's worth the money ;)

leigh
08-28-2002, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I also highly recommend tablets :) They make life a whole lot easier :D

NanoGator
08-29-2002, 06:23 AM
For $150 I got a 12-inch Aiptek tablet. I love it! I can't tell you if it's better or worse than a Wacom, but I don't regret buying it.

jonestation
08-29-2002, 07:20 AM
Can all the major image editing software compatible with tablet ?
Any suggetsion of brand and model ?

leigh
08-29-2002, 07:22 AM
Absolutely, it really just acts like another mouse - as far as I can guess, there shouldn't be any software conflicts :)
I recommend Wacom ;) Their A5 Graphire tablet, although small, is excellent value for money, and working with it in Photoshop is an absolute dream :thumbsup:

jonestation
08-29-2002, 08:08 AM
Is that Gaphire 2 you mean ? does they show it in wacom web page ?

jonestation
09-12-2002, 03:50 PM
I just bought the Graphire2 4X5 and install it, it is really nice peace of device. 2 hours using it and I know I can no longer doing graphic without it. Thanks Leigh for recommend it to me. However mine one come with no wireless mouse. I think can buy it separately right ?

leigh
09-12-2002, 03:55 PM
Hmmm... I'm sure you can :)
That's strange though, that they didn't come together...
:hmm:
Oh well, have fun with the Wacom! Photoshop is so much more fun with one!

jonestation
09-12-2002, 04:04 PM
I also don't know why it didn't come along. I ask a favour from a friend to buy it from a big city. No wonder the price is lower than what I saw in the amazon.com. I was expecting the wireless mouse too so I can use it in MAX. what is the caution I should be aware of when using the graphire and pen (beside don't use it 24-7 and forget to sleep) ?

jizzypop
09-13-2002, 09:19 PM
i just ordered my graphire 2 today, w00t! :bounce: im so excited

Per-Anders
09-13-2002, 09:53 PM
tablets are so goo... i wish that wacom would get together with apple or sony and make a notebook computer using cintiq technology... they could call it the sketchbook ;)

.oO-cloak-Oo.
09-14-2002, 04:46 AM
Ohhh...that Aiptek is only $150?! For a 9x12?! Thats a really good price if the quality is comparable to the Intuos2 series. Does anyone have experience with both? The 9x12 Intuos2 is like $400 smackers. Yikes! :scream:

.oO-cloak-Oo.
09-14-2002, 04:55 AM
Well, here are the specs for both:

Aiptek HyperPen 12000 12x9 http://www.aiptek.com/index2.php (Aiptek.com) -$149.99
"
Active area
12" x 9" (304mm x 228mm)
Physical size 385 x 347 x 12 mm (W x D x H)
Resolution max. 3048 lpi / 120 lpmm
Accuracy 0.42 mm (overall with pen)
Max. pressure levels 512 levels
Max. reading height 8 mm (0.32")
"
Wacom Intuos2 9x12 http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/products.cfm?sku=GD912 (Wacom.com) -$400-499
"
Tablet Dimensions 18.0" x 14.2" x .6"
Active Area 9" x 12"
Pressure Levels 1024
Resolution 2540 lpi
Max. data rate 200 pps
Accuracy +- .01"
Tilt Range 50º-60º
"
Hmm...which one is better? lol

jonestation
09-14-2002, 06:15 AM
Just wondering what is the concept that make this tablet work, I mean it got no wire, no battery on the pen, but it can sense the click and the button. Anyone know what is happening behind the click ?

Flinch
09-14-2002, 11:24 AM
i also bought an aiptek 12x9inch tablett for about 75euro. it isn't comparable to an wacom intuos:

- the surface on which you paint is rougher than on the wacom, which is irritating for some people (like it is with a friend of mine)

- the pen is not so ergonomic like the pen that comes with the wacom. after hours of using it my hand begins to hurt slightly

- you can't press 2 buttons at the same time, which is a problem if you're going to use it with maya

beside from this you should already know from the specs posted before that you've no tilting!!

everytime i find something which sucks compared to a wacom i tell me that i've payed just 75euro and not 550euro for a wacom with the same size ...
but when you have to use this tablet everyday i would definitely buy a wacom.

--Flinch

TMortan
09-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Inside (http://www.dansdata.com/graphire.htm)

So you don't have to open yours.

leigh
09-16-2002, 09:01 AM
Aaaah the mystery is revealed :D

jonestation
09-17-2002, 10:36 AM
I always wondering how does the tablet work, and a friend gave me this url, and check it out page 6. Just to share it.

http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Publications/1996/theses/Pen_speech_recogn_usr_intrface/shankar.pdf

Thanks a lot to Spirol of www.sifoo.com.

jizzypop
09-20-2002, 11:50 PM
weeee i got my graphire 2 today, it frickin rawkz :applause:

.oO-cloak-Oo.
09-21-2002, 12:28 AM
Well, I decided to go with the Aiptek 9x12 and so far it has been well worth the $149 spent on it. I have used Wacom tablets before and will have to say the Wacom pens are way better. They dont use batteries like the Aiptek does and are more ergonomic, but like I said Im very happy with the Aipteks overall performance. :) Would have loved to get the Intuos2 for the 1024 leves of pressure, but the 9x12 and 6x8 are way expensive :hmm: If you cant afford a Wacom, Aiptek is a good alternative.

dark_lotus
09-22-2002, 02:58 PM
get a tablet, get a wacom and enjoy

.oO-cloak-Oo.
09-23-2002, 09:29 PM
Want to hear something funny?
I returned the Aiptek and bought a 6x8 Intuos2 Wacom instead. LOL.
The pen was way too crappy for me to work with on the Aiptek. Mainly the pen moved to quickly as far as the pressures go...couldnt get a good fade without trying really hard. Ergonomics was a problem also. In the end Wacom is the way to go. :buttrock:

jonestation
09-24-2002, 06:23 AM
I use Graphire2 to paint and I can't wait to test the Intuos, 512 for me is consider sentsitive, wonder what would it be for 1024 level.

.oO-cloak-Oo.
09-25-2002, 08:24 PM
I read somewhere on the net that you cant really tell a difference between the 512 and 1024. I have a friend that has a graphire2, so Im gonna test them both out and see if I can notice any difference.

Sir-Patroclo
08-26-2003, 06:00 AM
got an Intuos 2 and the pressure levels and resolution of this thing is marvelous... but, if you move your hand a little too fast, you'll get straight lines on your curves. Got a question, though: how is your posture when working with it? I've tried resting it on my lap, besides the keyboard, etc, but it always leaves my whit a annoying muscular pain that goes form the neck through the shoulder, and the thumb aking like hell... does it happens to someone else?

Sir Patroclo

Renderizer
08-27-2003, 12:37 AM
I'm using a Wacom Intuos2 A4 Oversize (12x12) and it's great stuff.

I've mapped the A4 part of the tablet to my main monitor, so I can use the lower part of the tablet in Quickpoint mode to navigate the second display (although I even got another Intuos2 A6 mapped to this monitor).

I think that the Wacom stuff is far superior to other tablets, but that's just my experience.

If you have the money: go out and get one, you won't regret it!

Renderizer

jud
08-28-2003, 02:53 PM
I am thinking of getting the "GRAPHIRE2" as my first tablet as it is only 110 euro,is this a wise purchase?do any of you own a graphire2?is it any good?
If I rest my hand on the tablet while drawing will it paint where my hand has pressed down on or does the pressure come from the pen,i think that's what i mean.
Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks

jud

Renderizer
08-28-2003, 03:13 PM
I used to run a Graphire2 (actually, two of them) untill recently, when I bought the Intuos2, and they're pretty cool entry-level devices.

The problem with the Graphire2 (as far as I am concerned) is the size (A6) - you can paint with it, but I prefer larger tablets myself (I love to do broad stokes with the pen, but that's something a lot of people don't like to do).

With an A6 sized board you'll be in trouble if you're using two displays (as I do). Either you have to get yourself a 2nd tablet, or you'll loose the comfort these tablets can offer (like, when you have your palettes on the second display).

And yes: you can rest your hand on the tablet without any effect, as the tablet only reacts to the pen.

BTW: ebay seems not to be the best source for 2nd hand Wacoms, as I have seen people selling their tablets (mainly Intuos2 boards) with a price tag that was a good deal above the average street price. :mad:

Watch out - and happy painting! :D

Renderizer

jud
08-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks.

I think I will buy it as the room on my desk would not fit a large tablet.
The size does worry me a bit when it comes to painting or drawing long Continuous lines,but I will manage.
I will mainly use it for texture maps and maybe some painting when I am in the mood,anything has to be better than using the mouse to draw,it draws like a 2 year old,and im no 2 year old.

Thanks

jud

jud
08-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Sir Patroclo
Got a question, though: how is your posture when working with it? I've tried resting it on my lap, besides the keyboard, etc, but it always leaves my whit a annoying muscular pain that goes form the neck through the shoulder, and the thumb aking like hell... does it happens to someone else?

Sir Patroclo

When I did art in school and at the back of every class(he.he),I would always get pains in my hand and neck and so on because of the use I was making of them,so I guess that you will get pains and strains weither you use a tablet or a piece of paper and a pencil or pen or whatever.
Take the pain my man.suffer for the art.WUUUUAAHHAAHHAA.

jud

koroko
08-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Not adding much to the discussion just my love for my wacom...

I love to use it so much, that i not only use it to paint, but for everything else with the computer, and since my main task its modelling for modelling also, i rarely use the mouse...only if i have to...

Its another world...

i have an small intuos 2

Renderizer
08-28-2003, 05:08 PM
I have the A4 (12x12) tablet directly in front of me, with the keyboard slightly above and behind the board, while the A6 sits to the right, so that I can use it to operate all my palettes on the 2nd display.

That position works pretty good and it doesn't give me any pain at all. :thumbsup:

Sir-Patroclo
08-28-2003, 09:29 PM
mmm, i use it at a side. i was wandering if elbow support is needed to prevent the neck pain, like a chair with armrests. other thing i've noticed is that my thumb hurts a lot, maybe i need more practice -with that feeling of holding a pen in one place and seeing the drawing appear in another- to loose my hand a little and not holding the pen so tight. it is curious, though, that i have this problem with the pen and not with the regular mouse (according to wacom one of the
advantages of having a tablet is the posture relief)

well, thank fellows for responding

Sir Patroclo

Archetype
10-27-2003, 08:48 AM
ever tried drawing a straight line with a mouse? Rofl ;)

NanoGator
10-27-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Voutlooz
ever tried drawing a straight line with a mouse? Rofl ;)

That's what the shift key's for. :cool:

Archetype
10-27-2003, 08:53 AM
oh damn yea -,-

i meant without shift ;)

nobrain
10-27-2003, 10:27 PM
bought an intuos cost me 200 but returned it a couple days later because I needed the money, I'm definetly working on getting a tablet, even though I spend only two days withit, it's years ahead of what a mouse can do.
Do I need the intuos or will a $99 graphire2 do the trick?

There is some superiority in the intuos e.g. 3d pen tilt (i.e. recognizes tilt angle and direction of tilt. Higher pressure sensitivity.

Are the lack of these features in graphire2 noticeable, anybody know please tell me?

nobrain
10-27-2003, 10:31 PM
I hold the tablet resting on my lap, like a sketchbook, kick my feet up in the air and away we goooooooo!

animalunae
02-15-2004, 10:57 AM
I just bought an Intuos 2 Wacom Tablet (The A4 version) and I've been using it for some days now and I must say, this is worth every cent I paid for it. It costs a lot... but it's worth it.

SibSpi
02-16-2004, 10:38 PM
I got myself the Volito from Wacom about two months back and can say it is also worth the money.

I just hafto warn anyone looking to buy one:
It IS a *BUDGET* device, expect to lose some *QUALITY* over the Intuos or Graphire range!

Other than the resolution being half that of the Graphire2 I think it was, I can't find anything wrong with the tablet. One thing that bugs me tho is the pen, it seems as though the pressure levels need some calibrating, as it tends to jump from a low/medium pressure straight to maximum - although that may be caused by incorrect settings in Photoshop.

The other thing about the pen I found is it is very sensitive - too many bangs (as repetitive texturing such as grass or hair) and it seems to die quickly. I now have a pen that is pushing at maximum strength whenever it is merely hovering over the surface of the tablet.

Hope this helps future buyers.

*one last thing* you don't get any kind of fancy software for setting up your pen with the Volito like you get with the Intous, just basics.

Fungusmonkey
02-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Well, here's the real test for me. I sat at my computer for a solid hour reading dang near everything on the Aiptek 9x12. I got out the ol' credit card and ordered myself one....

...10 minutes later I cancelled the order and bought a Graphire2 instead.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for good Cgtalk reviews.

Should be here in a day or two. Here's hoping it's really worth it!

Fungusmonkey
02-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Okay, correct that. I worship in the shrine that is Wacom!!!

Not more than five minutes out of the box, I loaded one of my skins into Photoshop and just went to town!!! All those minute details I always wanted (veins, fine wrinkles, moles, individual hairs) started pouring out in no time. And that's just using the 4x5!!! It'll take a little tweaking until I get it to feel just right, but I am a total convert. Don't know how I ever lived without one.

Yes, they're expensive for those of us on a budget.
BUT
1. They give you a lot more control.
2. They feel somehow eerily right.
3. They fix every complaint I've ever had about computer art software, and
4. They F***ING Rock!!!!

...now my only problem is figuring out how to save up enough money to buy the BIG tablet. :)

Later!

rami
03-01-2004, 07:23 PM
i just started doing research on tablets...and it seems most ppl who have the Graphire are using the Graphire2...at the wacom site the Graphire 3 is now out! I dont know if it just came out...but its here and no one has mentioned it that ive noticed.

And it looks like they made a tablet one step bigger than the 4x5.
A 5x8 for $199 isnt bad at all! I'll start saving!
Graphire3 5x8 (http://www.wacom.com/graphire/6x8.cfm)

storman
03-04-2004, 07:36 AM
what I can buy for only 100$?
I don`t know.

Volito, Aiptek, or something else?

yinako
03-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Renderizer
I have the A4 (12x12) tablet directly in front of me, with the keyboard slightly above and behind the board, while the A6 sits to the right, so that I can use it to operate all my palettes on the 2nd display.

That position works pretty good and it doesn't give me any pain at all. :thumbsup:
so you mean you can use one pen to move around between 2 tablets? wow I didn't know you could do that.

Renderizer
03-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Yes, it works pretty well, but I'd much prefer to tap one of the tablet buttons with the pen to swap the mapping between the displays.

But WACOM is a little bit stubborn if it comes to implementing multi-display feature into their drivers. On the WACOM forum, there is a thread going on since two years, where people keep asking for multi-mon support, but WACOM's attitude is something like 'don't bother us with with that, go buy a 2nd tablet for your other monitor'.

They display a degree of arrogance toward their users that somehow reminds me of M$...they don't care about their customers, they are just trying to sell them more products...

And this is actually the only point that I don't like about WACOM.

Fungusmonkey
03-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Go with Wacom. Do some looking around, though. I got a Graphire2 4x5 for $60, just by cruising around newegg.com and pricewatch.com for a few days.

I haven't even noticed a size issue. I'd have to be making some pretty broad strokes to run off the edge of the tablet. Also, I've heard that some of the cheaper tablets(Aiptek, etc.) don't let you work with the pen at an angle, and that they're run on batteries, so you have to keep replacing them.

Then again, I'm biased because I am smitten by my Graphire2. I am in deep smit.

tenjobara
03-10-2004, 07:45 PM
If you draw small images on paper, you can get away with the 4x5 size graphire2; it won't feel very restrictive.

I found after using a 4x5 size tablet, I felt like I was constantly running out of drawing room, as I am used to drawing letter size or larger. So I sold my used 4x5 on ebay, and bought a 9x12 intuos, and now I'm very happy with it.

my 2 cents ...

Larrikin
03-11-2004, 05:39 PM
To cure your Carpal Tunnel Syndrome I'd recommend a big tablet, (9x12). And consider the much cheaper Aipteks.

Control-Freak
03-25-2004, 02:57 AM
Is there any difference between the regular version of the Wacom Intuos2 Platinum 9x12 and the academic version?

xenoid
03-30-2004, 08:19 AM
hello all... budget is tight here so... anyone tried a Genius tablet b4?

Fungusmonkey
03-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Here's my two cents on the issue:

When I'm drawing in photoshop, I start out with the whole image in front of me and make quick sketches to establish size, shape, shading, etc. Then I gradually zoom closer and closer, getting more and more detailed until I'm finished. The 4x5 tablet works just fine for that. When you're zoomed in at 100, 200, even 300 percent, 4x5 is a lot of room (personal opinion). And, now that I know how great they are, I can save up and get a bigger tablet later.

Second, I have the ultimate in low budget. I barely make enough money to pay rent, let alone buy hardware. But I decided that I wanted a tablet badly enough that I found a good deal, lived on ramen noodles for a week, and badda-bing: New tablet. It's all in how you budget your money. Now, if I could only quit smoking, I'd be living on a beach somewhere..... :)

MSB
04-01-2004, 03:14 PM
does anyone try to get UC-Logic tablet?
its strange tablet or the problem form the device

1-the pen sometimes works and other not -I've read the FAQ--
and there's no answer.

2-I need to reinstall the device twice to let the device work and its not work correctly -I've triend on 2 computers-

3-Does its support photoshop they say that but Its not work with photoshop AT ALL but work with there programmes only:shrug:

3-does it effected by hand movement at it and when the pen move away the cursor move with it :shrug: is that realated with pressure<<<what is that?

can u give me another model so I could find it in Dubai coz just few has it:shrug: I have read all the models in this thread but most of them I could not find them here soo can u tell me about that u could find it

4-price range about 450DHS = 125 $

sorry for my bad english....

dg
04-04-2004, 06:28 AM
Like a illustrator friend of mine used to say

"painting with a mouse is like to paint with a corded iron"

Tablets are a awesome thing to have, now I want a Cintiq :cry:

Cheers,
dg

yinako
04-04-2004, 07:45 AM
people have yet to see the skillz of a mouse painter, I knew this japanese guy whos paints with master skills, like those in CGchoice galleries, and all he use are MS paint and a mouse.

Thats right MS paint, believe it or not I was freaked out when I saw his work. Obviously he couldn't do fancy PS blurring etc, so his works are not in continouse tone. But I can pretty much say he maxed out the full 110% potiential of MS paint.

Can't imagine what he would do with a tablet and PS

thomaspecht
04-07-2004, 10:37 PM
artists have been doing this for ages on the 8- and 16-bit homecomputers and consoles of the 80's and 90's.
there was not much of a choice in these times - no tablets, no really good scanners and computers that were only able to display 32 or 64 colors or even worse.

check out this link to see some stuff that was created according to those restrictions: http://www.henknieborg.nl

i like pixel art very much but that's not a solution for doing higher res works or textures for rendering. ms paint is probably all you need for doing it.

btw. and back on topic: is wacom sitting on all the important patents or are all the competitors losers - or what is the reason for that there is no other brand of tablets that even comes close to the low end of wacom products?

Fungusmonkey
04-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Just wanted to chime in again real quick:

For all the west-coasters out there, last night on The ScreenSavers (TechTV) they had a viewer call in and ask what he should be looking for in a tablet and whether the Aiptek or other tablets compared to Wacom. The resident Photoshop expert told him to just buy a Wacom. He spouted off a whole lot of stuff about tilt sensitivity and pressure levels, but then added that he'd never buy anything that wasn't a Wacom tablet.

And personally, I think that the main reason Wacom has such a better product than anyone else is that they are more devoted to it. All that money people spend on them goes right back to research and development. They make a better product because they have the time, power, and ability to make a better product. At least that's my feeling on it. I haven't had my tablet that long, but I'll never have a computer without one from here on in, and I've made all my artist friends buy one as well. They rule.

yinako
04-08-2004, 06:55 AM
I'm sure if MS or logitech decided to make tablets, people would look into it instead of wacom. who knows, I think it could be more common place in the future.

thomaspecht
04-08-2004, 10:06 AM
but then, why are competitors creating silly designs like pens with heavy batteries or even pens connected via cable to the pad (genius? not sure). is it that hard to recreate a wacom tablet - but cheaper - or is it simply not possible because of patent restrictions?

normally a successful design gets cloned and improved upon by the competition - and sold at least a little cheaper as well.
also, there must be a huge market potential for those who are tired of paying the high prices for wacom hardware (think about their overpriced accessoires like customs pens, the removable foil for the tablet surface or even pen tips!). you even have to buy a license if you want to use your tablet with some operating systems and that adds to the price of the hardware another 150 $ or so.

jamacsween
04-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Just got my WACOM graphire 3 A5 and it is very cool. Getting used to it and scribbling out 5 min sketches.

If you haven't taken the plunge, get one. It makes everything so much more enjoyable.

I was always really a modeller at heart, but will seriously try and texture my stuff properly now.

JA

Fungusmonkey
04-22-2004, 07:26 PM
It took me a bit, but I found out how the Wacom tablets work without batteries or cables. Also, after reading this, I totally understand the hefty price tag. This is some serious tech going on here....

"The tablet is the main work horse here. It supplies all required power for signal transmission and reception. The grid of wires covering the active surface of the tablet first sends signals to the stylus and then switches to receiving mode. Through a process called resonance coupling, the stylus coverts the received signal to power, which is used to run the chip embedded within the stylus.

This chip compiles its data and sends it to the tip which transmits the data signal to the tablet. The tablet picks up the data from the stylus' tip to determine its position and other information like pressure. And all this happens every 20 microseconds or so."

Holy Crap. Basically the power for the stylus is sent to it wirelessly. Creepy. Imagine what that technology would be like if it were a lot bigger. If you sent the signals over the radiowaves, you could power your computer with a Foo Fighters song....

...sweet.

l1ttledrumerb0y
04-23-2004, 11:41 PM
yah.... first post!!!

k, bak to topic. I'm considering buying a intuos 2, for use in the gimp, houdini, and just about ne other software i can get my hands on. Is it a better idea to buy the 6*8, or the 4*5??? Im not sure i got the cash for the 6*8, but if it's worth the extra 70 bucks, i might b able to scrounge the extra cash.:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Renderizer
04-25-2004, 07:18 AM
Well...whatever tickles your fancy! ;)

You'll find a lot of people who do well with the smaller tablets, while others prefer the large ones.

I use the DIN A4 oversized (12x12) and are perfectly happy with it, as I love to do broad, sweeping strokes with the pen. I also love to have a higher resolution, too.

So it's ultimately up to your preferences, I guess.

Anyway: enjoy your Wacom! :D

CrazyAnimator
06-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Wacom rocks :buttrock:.. I beening using my Introus 2 (4x5 ) over a year now in the past it was pain using da mouse. This is due to my limited space on my desktop kinda cluttered :p. I find the 4x5 works fine, but some people like the large tablets. You will find it rocks. :D

NeptuneImaging
06-28-2004, 07:26 PM
I totally agree. I NEVER paint anything without it...

babel1
07-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Wacom rules...
Anything else is a waste of money.I've been using tablets for quite a long time
and tried a lot of different models(including that junk from Aiptek!).
Right now I use Intuos A4 at job and Graphire A5 at home.
It's useless to mention all the advantages and disantvantages of the products...
What's the most important thing about them for me is that the tenontitis(tunnel syndrome)
I suffered from,was gone since I stopped using the mouse.
And since there is no other option for a tablet IMO,Wacom is numero ena.

Fungusmonkey
08-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Here is the true test of the tablet and why I will, from this day forward, ALWAYS BUY WACOM:

I recently broke up with my girlfriend, who in return, locked herself in my bedroom and trashed my computer. She grabbed my Wacom tablet, ripped out the cord, threw it against the wall, and then jumped on it several times.

Regardless to say, I was a little bummed.

Yesterday, I was piecing my computer back together. The tablet was still in one piece, but had a few slight dents in it from her heels. As it turns out, the cord isn't hardwired onto the board. It has a plastic connector that can be pulled out. So, when she yanked it out, it didn't break. It just seperated. So, I opened up the tablet (I bought it used, so no, I didn't void the warranty) plugged the cord back in, and restarted the computer.

The tablet still friggin works.

Granted, the plastic shield is a little dented, but the tablet still works just as good as it did before she went nuts on it. So I just want to say that Wacom makes an amazing product, and they're built to last. Wacom just won my business and money for the rest of my life.

Ifx3d
08-13-2004, 11:28 PM
tablet hands down

get a good one, or you will be wanting a better one later

Mayashu
09-01-2004, 10:17 AM
I have a Wacom Volito tablet wich is ok BUT the mouse just sucks
you have to rise it kinda high to be able to move it from side to side
and it seems that the movement has some lag.
After one month I wasn't able to accomodate with that rodent :(

Cranphin
09-11-2004, 03:07 PM
WEee ^-^
I got a wacom Graphire3 since a few days and I'm happy ^.^

I'd definatly recomend WACOM for graphics work, go for the cheaper brands if you only want to replace your mouse cause you've got RSI/carpel syndrome or so :)

I'm really happy with the tablet, the one downside about WACOM is their commercialism tho,
you can't really blame them for trying to make as much money as they can, that's what a
company is for, but they're pushing it, it's only because they're products are really good that
they can get away with it ;)

Some points:
- The pricing of the intuos range is really absurd, I imagine it's multiple times the production cost, it can't possible be that expensive to make tablets no matter how advanced they are :)
- They do little petty tricks to make you buy they're more advanced model, mainly by crippling the drivers of the cheaper models. The Volito has really stripped down drivers from waht I've heard, and the Graphire3 lacks per application settings, and setting the pressure curve, while I'm really sure they could've easily used the intuos drivers which do support all this. It' really annoys me when you lack features which would be trivial to add only because the 'business model' of a company made them decide not to ^.^
- Did you see the prices for replacement nibs!?! It'd cost me 30 euro's to order them from WACOM, for five tiny tiny lil bits of plastic, that's over a third of the price of the whole tablet!! :) It would've hardly cost them anything to atleast add a few extra nibs to the graphire3, but they didn't, boo ^.^

Well, having had my rant, I do really like my tablet, been playing with it and going to bed too late lots ^_^

And to put down something usefull, if you look for a decently priced tablet go for the graphire range, the volito is ok, but the stripped drivers and the lack of buttons on the pen can be a nuicance, and the graphire3 doesn't cost that much more if you look around a bit. Alternativly you can probably find a (second hand) graphire2 for a bargain too (with the added bonus of being able to use the intuos drivers, yes! :)

Ofcourse if your boss is paying or you actually earn big cash with your artwork there's no exuse not to get a sleek shiny intuos, cause they really do rock ^_^ Did everyone see the new intuos 3 range ? It looks brilliant, *dribbles a bit* :) I love the added little scroll bar thing on the side, should be very handy for browsing and such, and the buttons should be mighty usefull as well :) Not to mention the superb specs, multiple tools, choice of nibs, etc. etc. etc ^.^

Hehe,
Cheers ^_^

Zeko
09-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi all,

Got a question about tablet size. I dont have so much money so i was wondering if Graphire3 4x5 would be big enough for mainly doing 512x512 or a bit bigger textures?

I've never tried any tablet so i really have no idea how this works.

Thx in advance :)

Cranphin
09-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi all,

Got a question about tablet size. I dont have so much money so i was wondering if Graphire3 4x5 would be big enough for mainly doing 512x512 or a bit bigger textures?

I've never tried any tablet so i really have no idea how this works.

Thx in advance :)
Size of the texture doesn't matter as such, your own drawing style is what matters most, are you used to doodling on small surfaces, or big strokes ?

Remember you can always zoom in if you want to add fine detail.

Alternativly you can always stick a piece of 4x5 paper on your desk and try drawing on that, see if it feels cramped or not ^_^

Ceccotti
10-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Im looking to order one some time this week Im just contiplating on the size. I don't want to go and pay 70$ less and then end up hating hte tablet because its too small. So Im conteplating.... Really I dont have the money to get it but if Its that much better then I will hold back.

rebo
10-11-2004, 05:40 PM
I recently broke up with my girlfriend, who in return, locked herself in my bedroom and trashed my computer. She grabbed my Wacom tablet, ripped out the cord, threw it against the wall, and then jumped on it several times.

I feel for you man

DevilHacker
10-11-2004, 10:13 PM
I know a few layers :)

Ceccotti
10-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Thats where the rule of I don't hit women gos out the door.

Dreadus
11-09-2004, 01:46 PM
I have a wacom but im so used to using mouse i never use it :/
will i definately be better working with a wacom?

jmBoekestein
11-18-2004, 05:13 PM
reactions on my work before my tablet: Wow, you should try something with your talent. Kinda cool.
reactions on my work after my tablet: Wow, that's... that's really good.
- Gees did you do that?
- Hey, How long have you been working with this program?
- re: "This is my second painting"
- gasp
- smirk, "It's only blue and white, but I'm happy with the overall feel of it..."
Mind you, these things are a miracle, especially pro ones. And if you mess up, you can CTRL-Z it. No doubt, go for a tab and get to know it.

Bossgator
11-19-2004, 11:27 AM
It varies as to what people prefer, but I personally use a Graphire 3 4x5, cordless mouse was included. At $100 US, I have no complaints at all! Though I still use my Logitech opti mouse for work in Maya, Max, ect. Any Photoshop work is my tablets job. I am amazed at the improvment of my ps work since i been using my tablet. It's the only way to go. Doing textures with a mouse seems now like doing brain surgery with a shovel! You can do it, but you wont like the results.

NrgJake
11-20-2004, 05:34 AM
I just got a wacom Graphire3 6x8 recently and i'm really happy with it so far. Helps soo much in photoshop, as well as iillustrator. i've been using it to surf the web also. My hands/fingers don't get tired anymore after hours of doing detailed work.

TNTJack
11-26-2004, 04:04 PM
For those hobbyists who want to begin using a tablet, want a big one, and are not willing to spend over 400, there is a 9x12 tablet for only 30 euro. It is a Trust tablet marketed under a brand named Medion. It cant´t be cheaper. Its features are way under those of the Intuos line, but I think it is better than a Volito. 512 levels of pressure, a maximum resolution of 2048 lpi / 120 lpm, and as an extra, 24 clickable and programable function “buttons”.

But, for this little price, you cannot expect all the benefits of the biggest brand:

The drivers are too simple, and when switching from different graphics applications, sometimes pressure sensitivity goes away for no reason, having to close and start the application again (weird stuff).
The pen works with battery, and is a bit on the thick and heavy side, not very ergonomic, and has no eraser.
And I guess that if you have a problem, it might be a real pain to get some tech support (their web site is hopeless). I just wouldn´t recommend to buy it on line, or by mail. If you go for it, get it form a nearby dealer, so you can get a replace if it doesn´t work ok.

But, anyway... 30 €... for starting in the tablet world, that is just no money. I have a Graphire 2 and I find it unvaluable, but I just got one of these cheap ones, for drawing more naturally with broader strokes. It works very well. Nice and soft recognition of the pressure levels.
By the way, the two tablets won´t work together. You have to install and use either one of them at a time (that´s the worse part for me)
So, for those that are uncertain about using tablets, but are considering to give them a try, and don´t want to spend a lot of money, I find this one to be a very reasonable way to start.

Cheers

thebigMuh
11-26-2004, 04:24 PM
I had an Aiptek once, and to be honest, it's doggy poo. The stylus works with a battery. This means that it has to be "unscrewable". Mine broke pretty soon because of the pressure you are applying when you are working a lot with it. The thin plastic it is made of just crumbled away and I had to wrap it up with tape.

Soon after I had to duct-tape my pen, the tablet started having drop outs. I was painting normally, and suddenly the cursor would stop and the light that normally indicates that there is a pen close to the tablet stopped blinking. I had to pull the pen away and put it back down on the tablet a few times until it recognised it again. Imagine doing that once every 2 minutes while working.

Ciao, ¡muh!

FreakyDude
12-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Here is the true test of the tablet and why I will, from this day forward, ALWAYS BUY WACOM:

That's when I would get black in front of my eyes and start killing things. they can get away with a lot of shit they pull on me, but mess with my stuff ....................................................................... I'd really loose myself.....

PadawanCG
01-01-2005, 08:48 AM
I have been looking into drawing tablets for near future pruchase and this is what I have found so far.

Size: A 4x5 sounds small but if you draw out a 4x5 area it's not all that hateful. A 6x8 is very nice medium sized drawing area and I think that anybody could get by with this. The 12x9 is getting a little on the large size an one must start thinking of desk space at this size. An Aiptec 12x9 has a physical size of 15.2"x13.7" and the Wacom Intous 12x9 has a physical size of 17.3" x 13.4", this is like placing another monitor on your desk to draw on.

The Wacom Graphire and Intuos have different physical sizes due to tablet opptions. The Graphire tablets have a smaller physical size than the Intuos and the Aiptec tablets of comparable usable area.

Price an option?
As I look at prices of comparable tablets, I'm also looking at other things such as support offered, bundled extras such as software, mice, crameras, camera pens, software compadability, etc.

Aiptec offers some goodies that do not add much to product use such as digital watches and the software bundle isn't as good as Wacom. Aiptec also offers refurbished tablets and presents their pricing range starting with refurb prices, this makes me hesitant in considering the purchase of a Aiptec tablet. I'm wondering why do they have so many refurbs for sale.

As far as price goes I was taught to buy what you like based on quailty and not as much affordability, you won't regret it later. What is the difference between affordable and non-affordable? It depends on how bad you really want something, if you want it now but don't have the money or are you willing to save up the money to get what you really want later.

ChimpanG
01-04-2005, 11:58 PM
I am looking into a Wacom Graphire 3 Classic XL

active area: 208.8 x 150.8 mm
Dimensions (W x D x H): 275.5 x 256.8 x 18.1 mm
Cable length: 1.5 m
Resolution: 2032 lpi (80 l/mm)
Precision: +/- 0.5 mm
Pressure levels (pen): 512
Maximum reading height: 5 mm

That seems great imo, £140 (€199, $264) from the official Wacom website, seems like a nice enough price to me http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

I once had an Aiptek but it was under the name Nisis, it wasnt very good, pen was off balance because of the batteries, wouldnt draw in a straight line and often had no pressure sensitivity, the pen's plastic shell cracked which then meant that the shell popped off whenever i applied pressure, i had to tape it up,

FreakyDude
01-05-2005, 08:25 AM
I once bought this medion a4 sized pentablet. (medion doesn't produce tablets themselves, they just put their name on it, don't know who's originally manufactured it) thought a4 was a really good size to work with. At school we had a few wacom graphire 2 and 1 series at a6 format (a quarter) I found I could work on these more easily, size isn't half the bothering I thought it would be. I'm going to sell my old one soon and go for wacom graphire 3 a6.

pyroskat
01-09-2005, 03:19 PM
hello, i'm interested on a tabled and i have some problems. one is the dimensions i know about a4, a5, a6, but the dimensions that you say 4x5, 9x12, what equivalens have?
i'm looking on oficial page of wacom and why the intuos 2 are more expensive than intuos 3?, not is intuos3 better?.
i see that a5 is a little small for paint, isn't it? is best to pay a little more and buy a a4 size?.
and well a lot of here have the graphire; is much better the intuos than graphire, because are so a lot expensive. the attractive of it i think are the buttons.

mitralone
01-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi there,

After all the positive talks around here, I finally purchased myself a Genius Wizardpen 4x5. It is very nice and photosopping especially is awesome. Being a very bad writer(my handwriting even sometimes dazzles me) I am having a hard time holding the pen. I naturally use the pen a little bit tilted in real life and if I use the tablets pen like that, the pressure is not so sensitive. I have to use it perpendicular or at least at an angle close to 90 degrees.

1- How can I adapt to this easily? I started using normal pens in the perpendicular way but now I suck even more. Is this the way?

2- Which finger do you use for the middle and right click buttons on the pen? I sometimes use my index finger and sometimes I use my thumb. Which is the correct one?

Any suggestion especially ones coming from experience are and will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

TGagnon
01-20-2005, 01:20 AM
hey guys,

I did a stupid thing tonight.... I tripped (ha ha) over my Wacom cord and tore its wires from the back of the tablet. The plastic connection piece is still plugged into the tablet and just the wires inside the plastic sheath are torn/split/ripped...well, you get the point!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might fix this problem? As it is a "misuse" problem, it probably won't be covered by warranty - will Wacom fix it for a price? Has anyone had any experience with sending repairs to Wacom???

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have to offer!

Fungusmonkey
01-20-2005, 09:23 PM
1. First, check and see if it's covered by the warranty... you never know what they'll let you get away with until you try.

if not here's an idea:

***THIS WILL VOID THE WARRANTY, SO IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, DON'T TRY THIS***

-Remove the screws from the bottom (some are underneath the rubber parts, so you have to peel them back)

-remove the plastic connector and take a trip to Radio Shack. Make sure that you get the exact same connector and any tools you need to install it (wire strippers, a crimping tool, etc.)
(actually: you may even be able to open up the original connector, reinsert the wires and close the connector again.)

-re-strip the wires and make them uniform length, insert them into the connector correctly and close the connector using the tool.

-plug it in, close the case, put the screws back in (don't overtighten), and voila. There ya go.

It may cost you a little to get the tools, but less than buying a new tablet. Another option is try to find a broken tablet on Ebay and use it for parts, or you may even be able to just order a replacement wire from Wacom. Shouldn't be that big of a problem.

deez
03-30-2005, 07:31 PM
when you buy a Wacom tablet...is there anything else included such as different programs?

madart
04-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Sometimes there is, I think Painter Classic comes with the smaller ones, A6. Go to www.wacom.com (http://www.wacom.com) and look up the one you're interested in.

salmonmoose
04-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah I got a stack of useless programmes with mine, nothing of the quality of photoshop, though.

as for the creepyness of the pen being powered by the signal, havn't you ever heard of a crystal radio? :)

coltraIN
04-10-2005, 10:07 AM
One more Wacom endorsement, I actually first bought an Aiptek because it was a larger surface area for the money, but lucky for me I could never get it to install on my desktop. So I ended up taking it back and going for the smaller (4x5) Wacom model, and it's absolutely sweet. After a little adjustment it feels as good in my hand as a brush, and its also good for contours in 3d modeling. I've had to move around quite a bit since I picked it up, and I will also attest to its durability. Great product, night and day improvement over a mouse.

Greenhalls
11-13-2005, 02:24 AM
err... i'm a new member here...
i'm rather confused with my 3x4 wacom graphire.... i dont really sure what was happen with my wacom, but it doesn't respond to the pen. yes, the light is ON, but the pen can't be detected. i left my wacom at my office for several days, because it is not efficient if i brought home my wacom everyday after work. so i just left her there. and a few next morning, my wacom just began to act strange...
the pen, gets problem with the button 1 and 2 . sometimes the pointer just jumped out, not at the place where it should be in the monitor range. and then the last is... it cannot be detected.

the condition at my office is, the air conditioner is at 18 degree celcius, ON for 24/7 to maintain the server. i'm using MX300 infrared optical mouse (does it bother??? -_-a:shrug: )

now i just take my 8 year old A5 size aiptek to subtitude my wacom... T^T. tough i would prefer wacom more than aiptek, but my aiptek now still as good as new (if you change the battery of course :thumbsup: ) though its pointer is heavier than wacom does, but it last long in bad weather :love:and bad circumtances ~^.^~

now,.. the question is, have anyone experience this kind of error with wacom for such situation?? i miss my wacom :sad:.
FYI, i got not warranty for this wacom, because i got this from my friend as second hand product.

by the way,... wacom is pretty cool even its just 3x4 inches wide. is fits every where, and every size for my art.

_me_

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2005, 02:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.