PDA

View Full Version : RGB or CMYK?

Gamoron
08-28-2002, 04:06 PM
I've been working in RGB at the 8 bits\channel level. Is this bad guys?

And If I want to print posters 24x whatever, what should I be working at?
Cheers!

frog
08-28-2002, 06:01 PM
Even for print jobs I always do my work in RGB, with the View --> CMYK Preview option checked if need be.

I convert my file to CMYK only in the flattened version I send to the printers. Working in RGB means your files are smaller and you can use more functions of Photoshop.

As for working in 8 bit per channel this is still the norm. PS doesn't offer many tools at higher bit depths, all you can do is basic image correction with HS/levels etc. Painting & selection tools are disabled. It's meant to work with RAW files from digicams & scans rather than image creation.

mok
09-09-2002, 05:28 AM
I've been making couple of poster and most of them are converted to CMYK. Make sure you convert that to CMYK if you want to use some commercial printing service. Simply, saying if you are bring your poster to a printing shop then you should have layer flattened and convert to CMYK. :D

Miron
09-09-2002, 08:58 PM
I suggest you to have a talk with your printing service before converting to CMYK about conversion options and so on. This will help to get the best result.
Another important suggestion - always keep RGB-file. Once you have converted your work to CMYK you can't get it back.

Hope my words are clear enough.

halo
09-12-2002, 11:44 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=190678#post190678

studiomiguel
09-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Be prepared for a color shift when you convert. CMYK has a much smaller color gamut than RGB and as a result bright reds, blues, greens, etc get clipped into muddy or darker tones when you convert.
Every thing we do in our shop is CMYK. The first thing we do with a scan or a digital photo is convert it. This allows for MAXIMUM color consistency. I've been working in CMYK for so long I have trouble curving RGB images! It's all a matter of preference and you do loose the use of some filters and the like, but there are work arounds.

Caio,
M

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.