PDA

View Full Version : Need help understanding scripted operators

madDave
12-02-2004, 04:04 AM
I'm not exactly competant when it comes to scripting, but am making an attempt at learning. I've watched the tutorials on the Softimage website and I've read the manuals and I felt every word of it as it quickly brushed over the top of my head. I would like to give someone an example of what I want so that I could tear it apart and play with it; I just want to make the rotation of one onject to comnrtol the rotation of another. I already tried to make this work with expressions and failed miserably. I know it would work with operators, but I just know how to word it right.

Odrakir
12-02-2004, 07:35 AM
You don't need scripted operators for that. I don't have them (I'm in Foundation) so I can't tell you how they work. But to achieve what you are trying just do this:

Select one of the objects and open its Kinematics properties. Block that window.
Slelect the other object and open its Kinematics properties too.
Say you want to have the Y-rotation of object1 control the X-rotation of object2
You just have to go and drag the green button of Y-rotation channel of object1 into X-rotation channel of object2.

The expression editor will pop up with a new expression created in object2 for you, it'll be something similar to this:

object1.kine.global.roty

That's it.

ThE_JacO
12-02-2004, 07:39 AM
assuming your intention is learning to script (otherwise a simple direction constrain will get you all you need) I would suggest to not start with scops but with simple scripts.

SCOPs need at least a minimal understanding of the SDK and of the inner workings of XSI to properly create the connections, while scripts, beside having the limit of being run-once, provide a much easier platforms to start with.

can you give some more details about what you are after exactly and what language you fancy writing in?

maybe we can come up with some suggestions for a better learning iter

madDave
12-02-2004, 04:03 PM
I know how to do expressions, I was just interested in extending that in to something more.

I must have misuderstood what I was looking at, I was under the impression that scop was easier to learn then just scripting but what you say makes sense. I'll try my hand at scripting and mess around with it and come back if I need more.

Thanks for the tips!

ThE_JacO
12-02-2004, 04:38 PM
scops are like scripting, except that instead of fishing up all the items you need, operating on them, and then dumping them back transformer, you actually have live connections with the items that keep refreshing.

therefore they are an evolved way to implement a script so that it lives beyond the simple run-once scope.

learn scripting first :)

wmendez
12-03-2004, 05:51 AM
I know you mentioned the tutorials on Softimage.com did you see these as well? Guild Of SCOPS (http://www.softimage.com/guild) by Michael Isner (http://www.isner.com)

madDave
12-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I looked at those, they were just a little steep for me. I think I'm going to go back and learn scripting and then come back to the scop. They seem incredibly powerful and definitely something I want to know!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.