PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Interior Set Art Test

marc001
12-02-2004, 04:24 AM
http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/arttestrender05.jpg

I'm doing an art test for Terminal Reality. This scene is modeled in 3DS MAX, and is 10871 polygons.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/arttestrender01.jpg

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/arttestscreenshot01.jpg

BiTMAP
12-02-2004, 04:33 AM
shame they want photorealistic... I think the scene looks awesome in the painting they made and i'd much rather see it that way in a game... oh well... i can't wait to see what you make.

marque-pierre
12-02-2004, 04:36 AM
Very interesting. So this is how an art test works?

SneakyBiscuit
12-03-2004, 05:45 AM
Hi there. It looks to me that your ceiling compared to the concept is a bit too low. Some of the other elements such as the side wall extrusions and the parts in the back look a little out of proportion as well.

Im interested to see how you progress with this. Good luck to ya!

RO
12-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Again shame that the style of the drawing looks loads better like that instead of perhaps realism texture look...

I am not to sure if you should model every single bolt... you are avoiding a lot of cool pipe action going on because of all those bolts. it is not like it is going to be seen a whole lot while playing I usually leave those for textures. Also the proportions and form of the side beams are wrong it needs to be taller and not bend so much in the start. It is pretty straight till it gets bending and than at the end bends a lot. I would worry more about the forms because that is where they will get impressed more. For textures well I would have to say that I love the bronze look. This piece is not really all realistic so it is hard to get good texture info besides that awesome orange brass bronze texture. The concept also has nothing to show scale… for all I know this can be a massive machine factory thing or a very tight corridor with some machinery. So this concept is very ambiguous… Good luck.

marc001
12-03-2004, 08:41 AM
BiTMAP:
Usually when people ask for photoreal, it just means make it look good. If I had the time I would do more reasearch and photograph some real textures.

marque_pierre:
Art tests are different depending on the company. This one's the most organized one I've done so far.

SneakyBiscuit:
Is there a trick to matching the modeling to the reference image? Or some way to extract the perspective? I've tried puting the image in the background and modeling on top of it, but there are perspective errors in the painting. Some of the pipes and the locations where they connect dont line up where they should. Also the instructions say to make something similar so maybe I've come close enough.

Desp#2/Rog:
The polygon budget is 30,000, and the current polycount is ~11,000, so I'm way under the target polygon count. That's 1/3, with bolts, new pipes, and all. Normally I would leave the bolts to the texturing. Also scale is a concern. If there was something familiar like a telephone booth, a chair, or a computer tower, I could get the scale correct.

Things changed:
1. Unwrapped scene.
2. Started texturing floor, backwall, and sidewall.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/arttestrender02.jpg

CuTnPaste
12-03-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm in that world (Videogame I mean) and I can say to you that is a GOOD work.

well done

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Chris. F.
12-03-2004, 10:00 AM
U should Try to keep ur pixel ratio the same for all the scene.

ur third image looks very nice !

Tumerboy
12-03-2004, 10:23 AM
U should Try to keep ur pixel ratio the same for all the scene.
I'm curious to hear people's opinions on this. I've heard many places that it's important to keep the pixel ratio constant. In my mind, it seems logical to give an area that you're going to see more closely, or that needs more detail, more pixels, compared to a background element that you're only going to see from a ways off. . .

Correct me if I'm wrong. . .

Wintermute
12-04-2004, 07:54 AM
Tummerboy, I have heard both sides of that argument. My best guess would be to do whatever is appropriate for the model.

the bottom of a tank hull doesn't need the same amount of texture space as the top (unless we're going to see that side a lot)

however, in level design, I've heard you should keep things consistent, so things like grass, trees, rocks, buildings etc have a cohesive texture scale, without forcing the artist to scale things differently when painting textures.

makes copying textured rivets/bolts from one part to another in a scene a little easier when they're the same scale (pixel ratio)

for this test, I'd have to go with Chris. F.'s suggestion of maintaining a consistent pixel ratio, it'll probably save some headaches down the road.

looking forward to more progress!

and good luck!

:beer:

SneakyBiscuit
12-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Regarding Scale..you dont necessarily need to have a recognizable object to make your scene look more accurate. The objects only have to look proportionate to EACH OTHER. What I would do is place an imaginary 6 ft tall character in the scene. How big/small you make the character depends on the scene and your preference. And from there just estimate the length/width of objects according to your character height.

For instance, to me, according to the reference, a 6ft tall character could be the height of the wheel on the right side. By that I estimate, from the floor to the ceiling above the wheel looks like 2.5 characters high..so 19ft. After big proportions, I just eyeball the smaller stuff. Thats my strategy.

But then again, you only need something similar, so maybe it wont make that much of a difference.

LiquidMetal
12-05-2004, 06:11 AM
It looks very intersting.Maybe you can save some polys off by Normal mapping??

marc001
12-05-2004, 07:50 AM
CuTnPaste:
Thanks, where do you work, and what's your job?

Chris. F.:
Good advice. So I went back into the UV Unwrapping and tried to fix the tiling as best as I could, trying to keep the checkers at around the same size.

Tumerboy:
Basically, keeping the textures at around the same size is best.

Wintermute:
This time I changed the size for things that are either hidding or in shadow to smaller maps. But the visual maps are around the same size.

SneakyBiscuit:
I tried placing a 6' tall box in the scene and it's taller than the cylinder generator, but shorter than the wheel. I think it's around the right size. The bolts are large, but around the right size for something like the Golden Gate Bridge.

LiquidMetal:
I was thinking the same thing. If the polycount went over the budget of 30,000, I would use normal maps to make the bolts stickout in the texure. But this scene overall is still 1/3 the budget.

Things changed:
1. Finished place holder texture maps.
2. Changed maps for floor.
3. Finished texture for over head Vent Box.

There's no lighting in the scene, but almost everything that looks like lighting is baked into the texture. My new strategy for texturing is to use the Photoshop color sampler to get the same colors as the painting, and using that to color the texture maps. For the floor and vent box with that dome vent I used at least 4 layers of dirt (water damage, galvanized metal, custom Photoshop dirt brushes, and hand painted dirt). I plan on submitting this art test to Terminal Reality on Monday hopefully with everything finished.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/arttestrender03.jpg

CuTnPaste
12-05-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm currently Lead 3D Artist in a italian VG company, Silent Bay Studios.
Go on !!
:applause:

marc001
12-05-2004, 10:54 PM
CuTnPaste: I tried that Shockwave 3D driving game on the Silent Bay Website. If you have Director 8.5 check my name in the credits (Marc Abraham).

Things changed:
1. Textured pipes.
2. Textured generators, but having second thoughts on fixing the UVs on the bottom, and redoing the textures on the left end of the generator.
3. Textured backwall
4. Textured verticle pipes on backwall.
5. Second rough pass on wheel, wheel arm, left side wall, pillars, and side light fixtures.

I'm looking for critiques on texturing for now. my current plan is to finish the texturing and submit the MAX file and textures to Terminal Reality tommorow.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/arttestrender04.jpg

Wintermute
12-05-2004, 11:06 PM
textures are looking pretty good so far. my only suggestion at this point is to try and get the wall and the floor to look like they're connected texture wise...the change is quite abrupt.

more dirt and grime in the corners (floor to wall) there should do the trick.

I also like how dark the original is–a much moodier image.

keep up the good work and good luck tomorrow!

:beer:

marc001
12-06-2004, 04:33 AM
Wintermute:
I added more dirt to the corners. So far all the rough textures have been replaced with finished ones.

Things changed:
1. Made lights on the left wall shorter.
2. Textured left wall pillars.
3. Textured left rear wall.
4. Textured wheel.
5. Textured piston arm.
6. Retextured generator (UVs are redone for the left side, and retextured)

So far I think I'm done. I just have to submit the MAX file and textures to Terminal Reality tommorow.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/arttestrender05.jpg

ImUrPeTii
12-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Nice work man!But some advise to ur final image whatever they are in time.Lighing atm in the concept is much more shining and colorful,fix that.

In all,good luck tomorrow!!!

tmahony
12-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Hey Marc.

So how did it go? Any news on how it was received?

-taylor

marc001
12-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Lighing atm in the concept is much more shining and colorful,fix that.

I already submitted this art test, and you're right. There's more oranges and reds in the concept.

So how did it go? Any news on how it was received?The last I heard, it was under review along with the other art tests people submitted. Someone else must have gave them a better looking art test.

franklyn
12-19-2004, 05:00 AM
the only crit i have is that hte flor doesnt look like a cracked floor with oozy lava like in the concept it looks more like some glowing waste. .....apart from that texturing everything musth ave been hard since the concept doesnt sugest much.

marc001
04-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Things changed:

1. Added walkway.
2. Rounded outer walls
3. Replaced floor with pool of boiling steel.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/images/arttestrender06.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2005, 06:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.