PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo going into movie Industry

Bsmith
12-01-2004, 09:18 PM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/569/569725p1.html

this is interesting.

bentllama
12-02-2004, 08:21 AM
so Nintendon't will not go online with games...but they see movies and games tied together...

hmmm...go figure...

someone should remind them of Super Mario Bros. the Movie...

Recursive
12-02-2004, 08:31 AM
so Nintendon't will not go online with games...but they see movies and games tied together...

hmmm...go figure...

someone should remind them of Super Mario Bros. the Movie...
1. They will go online. http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5666
2. SMB the movie was licensed by nintendo. not made by Nintendo.

So, yes. you should go and figure.

bentllama
12-02-2004, 08:55 AM
1. They will go online. http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5666
2. SMB the movie was licensed by nintendo. not made by Nintendo.

So, yes. you should go and figure.
1. pokemon online, I can hardly wait
2. they should focus on building a better console.

Recursive
12-02-2004, 09:06 AM
2. they should focus on building a better console.
you mean bigger console?

RowanW
12-02-2004, 11:51 AM
2. they should focus on building a better console. The console is great, it's the games I'm worried about; Kirby? :eek:

I just hope they don't make movies based on their previous games where they have sequels of sequels.

Here's hoping they take a fresh, new direction.:rolleyes:

Bentagon
12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
2. they should focus on building a better console. aren't they working on this übersecret console, of which they clame it will be revolutionary?

- Bentagon

KevinKraeer
12-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Yes, last I heard it was actually going to be called "Revolution" or something like that.

I was thinking about picking up a cube just for the new Zelda and Metroid Prime series.

I agree with bentllama that they're a bit slow on the uptake on the whole online thing. There was a quote from one of the bigwigs over at Nintendo in EGM one or two months ago that was something to the effect of "Game players don't want online games."

Which seemed a little silly.

Anyway, should be interesting to see what they come up with.

Recursive
12-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Yes, last I heard it was actually going to be called "Revolution" or something like that.

I was thinking about picking up a cube just for the new Zelda and Metroid Prime series.

I agree with bentllama that they're a bit slow on the uptake on the whole online thing. There was a quote from one of the bigwigs over at Nintendo in EGM one or two months ago that was something to the effect of "Game players don't want online games."

Which seemed a little silly.

Anyway, should be interesting to see what they come up with.
Take a look at the percentage of console owners that play games online on their consoles and it might look a little less silly. As I am sure you agree, as soon as Nintendo thinks they can actually make money from doing the online thing they will. Its not like they have something against it. They were after all the first one to do it, many many years ago.

mummey
12-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Metroid Pictures presents:

Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Within...

(ducks...)

Dirtystimpy
12-02-2004, 08:41 PM
i don't know the facts, but I remember reading somewhere online gaming is taking off faster then the DVD player.

Theres a growing amount of people like me, that honestly, look at online play as a key component before I start shelling out money.
Take Ghost Recon 2 for example, hell, I haven't even gotten past the 3rd mission, because I'm too damn hooked on playing it over live w/ my buddies in different states.

in my opinion,nintendo is great for kids. mario cart, mario golf etc, but they're not getting my money.

chadtheartist
12-02-2004, 08:56 PM
How many console owners subscribe to online games? Last I heard it was 5%. Looks like Nintendo is really missing out doesn't it? They're really missing the big picture huh? Isn't Nintendo one of the most profitable Gaming companies this generation? But yet they need online gaming to make their console better... wow.

I mean honestly. Why even bring it up in a thread about them going into movies, maybe Nintendo will bring some cool things to the big screen. Anyway, I for one applaud Nintendo not wanting to jump on the bandwagon of internet gaming without thinking it through first. They don't have as deep of pockets as Sony and Microsoft have to initiate plans that may not follow through to completion.

I for one am glad that there are options now for the gaming community. I thought that the Xbox would be nothing but ports of PC games, which is something I'm not too fond of anyway. But the Xbox has surprised the heck out of me, and I think it's games are great (Fable being the first game I'm getting when I get an Xbox). But I honestly don't think the Xbox is any better than the Gamecube or PS2. To me, there are tons of differences between the games on each system, and I for one am glad of that.

The last thing I would want is for Nintendo to conform to the Microsoft or Sony gaming philosophy. Variety is key for growth in my opinion.

bentllama
12-02-2004, 09:00 PM
it is almost 2005. online gaming on a console is here, and it IS wanted by gamers.

xbox live is having a great year and the numbers of gamers on LIVE is staggering.

Larry_g1s
12-02-2004, 09:03 PM
2. they should focus on building a better console. 1. Pokemon online would be a blast! :thumbsup:

2. Please... :rolleyes:
Maybe you should play some of the games for the GC before you past judgement. (i.e games like Metal Gear Solid:TT, Metriod Prime, upcoming Resident Evil:4) As good as anything on the box. If the PS2 and Dreamcast are/were capable of going, why can't the GameCube?

Bent, send me your address, I'll send you some quarters for the dryer. Cause it's obvious you've been brain washed.

you mean bigger console? lol

Recursive
12-02-2004, 09:13 PM
it is almost 2005. online gaming on a console is here, and it IS wanted by gamers.

xbox live is having a great year and the numbers of gamers on LIVE is staggering.
so you are saying that microsoft is making money from live? are those numbers of players actually paying? or are they getting their subscription for free? unfortunatly the microsoft division that makes the xbox only shows very few figures so i wouldnt have a clue. perhaps you can let us in on the stats..... (yeah right :) )

rendermania
12-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Er, so what's wrong with Nintendo starting a motion picture division? They have the management experience for it - come one, they can oversee the design, manufacture and marketing of things as complex as entire game consoles, and they won't be able to manage film projects? The final quality of movies tends to depend most on getting good directors to helm the projects in the first place. I'm sure they can afford that.

bentllama
12-02-2004, 10:15 PM
you mean bigger console?one that has no handle and does not look like a purse... ;)

oh and Juggs...I have played...and I almost purchased a cube for Tales of Symphonia alone...there are some great titles on there, some of which deserve to be enjoyed online...even Pokemon

SheepFactory
12-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Oh please bent , xbox guy dissing the gamecube design :)

shall we start talking about the xbox controllers? :D

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20010829l.gif

Bsmith
12-02-2004, 11:15 PM
haha.

Anyways....I own all 3 systems..I got the ps2 a long l time ago, then teh cube about a year after that and I jsut got the xbox a few weeks ago. I've always been a huge Nintendo fan (and for everyone who says nintendo is for kids...well we all have a little kid in us or else you prolly won't have very much creativity therefore you wouldn't be in these fourms). I'm excited about Nintendo going into the movie biz. Always...as for the xbox controllers...I hated them when they first came out...and it wasn't until I bought an xbox that I noticed that they made them smaller...and I actually like the xbox controller better than the ps2 and cube now. In my opinion Cube has jsut the same graphics if not better than teh xbox. Metriod Primes graphics were jsut amazing and IMO was better than halo (graphic wise that is). I haven't gotten into xbox live yet..yet I really want to try halo 2 with it. As for the PS2, I jsut never seemed to get into its games...I'm in no way a PS2 hater..but I don't know...no games ever sparked anything in me.

....I don't even know where I'm going with this post...I originally has a purpose but I forgot what it was..so excuse my rambling.

Dirtystimpy
12-02-2004, 11:28 PM
and for everyone who says nintendo is for kids...well we all have a little kid in us.....yeah, you got me, good point. And I agree, this wasn't the place to post my views on online play.

what I meant to say regarding the movie topic was......good luck, make something kickass.

bentllama
12-02-2004, 11:59 PM
if they make a 3D movie, i hope they make 3D glasses big enough for adults... ;)

SpiralFace
12-03-2004, 12:07 AM
hehe. Nice nod twards Penny Arcade Sheep.

Anyways can we not turn this Thread into a "My system is better then your system" thread. Last time I checked the thread name it was "Nintendo going into the movie Industry" Not "Online Counsil P***ing competition." And just to throw a small bit in there, (yeah I know I'm a hypocrit for this) But Nintendo has'nt completely dismissed the entire online gold rush. They just want to not get locked into the same system that everyone else is in right now. They have said that they will come out with an online compatable system that is going to be completley different from everything else thats out there. I personaly don't blame them. Sony and Microsoft have spent millions to get their online game networks going, and both of them have big titles that promote both of their services. (Sony's got Evercrack, and Microsoft has Halo ect.) So for nintendo to just jump head first into the online gameing market whould be financial suicide. (Just look at Sega's online servers once Microsoft and Sony got theirs up and running.) So its not that they don't like online games. Its just they have to wait till they can invest in something that sets them apart from the online experiances that the others have built their empire around. Sony's got all the MMORPG's and MICROSOFT has all the big FPS's, so honestly what does nintendo have assides from Mario Kart to compete with that? It whould break their backs to do something like that, and like someone said, Out of all the company's this generation, they are the most profitable. So they just proved right their that you don't NEED online games in order to be sucessfull. Although personaly I whould love to see some of their games hosted on some kind of online server.

OK, Sorry about that rant. But anyways, onto the real topic of this thread. I think Nintendo has alot of creative juices to go off of that can hold their own in the movie buisness, but they need to first recognize that every single license they make cannot get the "Pokemon" formula and still be sucessfull. They need to first recognize their demographic CAN range from anyone from 3-13 for the pokemon licence, But Link and Samus should only see the silver screen if and ONLY if they target it for people from a higher age bracket. No one wants to see a repeat of the Mario brothers movies. Seeing that they seem to becoming an animation house seems to be a nice fit for them. So at least we won't have a human in a pinstipe Bowser anymore (God that movie was horrible.)

MettoolMan
12-03-2004, 12:14 AM
it should be interesting to see what they'll come up with in terms of motion pictures. But yeah you know I remember hearing that some guys managed to get kirby's air ride to play over the net, which is pretty cool

terafi
12-04-2004, 02:02 AM
I read on scifi.com several months ago that John Woo has signed on to do a Metroid movie. I remember them quoting Woo, saying they had a lot of backstory stuff to dump into the movie. At the time (I'd say July/August I read this, can't recall), it seemed that they were in very early pre-production on this. Just thought I'd mention that, don't know how connected this project is to Nintendo itself, though. Things may have changed, too.

As for other projects, yeah, a Zelda movie would be great, just so long as you aim it towards a wide audience. The fan base there ranges from the kiddies to adults, go too kiddie and the adults wouldn't be too happy. Go too adult, it wouldn't be 'family friendly'. It would be tough to decide on the script, considering all the different styles of Link over the past several incarnations.

Then again, we must remind ourselves what happened last time a video game developer tried to go into the movie business - Squaresoft. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within didn't go over too well. Point being, this is a bold move for Nintendo, no matter what they intend to do with their properties. Then again, they could be even more bold and do something completely different from anything that they've released thus far.

In the end, Nintendo, as always, will deliver us something new, unique, and will be in the faces of gaming audiences that will be talked about sometime after it's all said and done. . . or they might fall on their collective a$$es and laugh at us for believeing it all. *shrug*

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.