PDA

View Full Version : Texture Size and dpi

Rosima71
08-28-2002, 03:06 PM
Hi guys,
I have some questions about textures in Bitmap:
1- How can i calculate the size of the bitmap texture(width and heigh)?Do I need to calculate the size from the size of the model that will received the texture?
2- What the best resolution (72 dpi ,300dpi) of the image to texture?
3- Is bitmap better format than others(jpg , gif , tiff) to texture?
I use 3ds max.
Thanks,

leigh
08-28-2002, 03:16 PM
An extract from a tutorial I wrote:

In order to determine what size you should make it, you need to know what the final rendered frame size of the animation is going to be.

Once you know what the final size is, then you can work out the size of your texture map as follows:

Take the maximum width that the texture map can appear on the screen (in pixels) and multiply it by two. Use this pixel size as the size of your image map, if you want to ensure that your textures do not become blurry or pixellated when viewed up close.

For example, the most common frame size when rendering for television is 720 pixels X 576 pixels (PAL D1), so if you were to make a texture image for an object that will be viewed right up close in the frame, then the width of your texture map should not be less than 1440 pixels. I usually work with square images, as I almost always work with UV Unwrapping, so my images are generally at least 1440 x 1440 pixels.

It's usually safe to leave the image at 72 Dpi, as this is the resolution that monitors and televisions display at. Of course, the drawback to this is that these kinds of file sizes for image maps do slow down the rendering process quite a bit, but on the other hand, you know they will hold close-up.

:)

File format is important to some extent, because the bigger the file size, the more memory they use - therefore they affect rendering times. I use only jpgs (full quality), unless I need images with alpha channels in them, in which case I use 32-bit Targas :)

jonestation
08-28-2002, 04:37 PM
Leigh;
What is the resolution to be render for movie, and for a normal computer playback(800x600). What about the VCD in the shop ?

leigh
08-29-2002, 08:48 AM
Here are a PDF list of common rendering resolutions :) -
Video Settings (http://www.glendale.edu/~bbardens/handouts/videoinfo.pdf)

jonestation
08-29-2002, 09:19 AM
thanks for the pdf.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.