PDA

View Full Version : command line rendering with foundation?

bt3d
12-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Hi all,
sorry for this maybe stupid question. Is it possible to render scenes from a command line with xsi foundation? I've tried some examples from the documentation without success. Instead of rendering xsi starts with the scene. I just want to get sure if it is possible before trying further.
Thanks
Tim

ThE_JacO
12-01-2004, 06:36 PM
I think it's not supposed to render in any other way but starting a rendering from the interface.

Vertizor
12-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Mental Ray is built right into the xsi.exe program, otherwise you'd render with a command like:

$ ray3.exe scene1.mi2

ThE_JacO
12-01-2004, 07:11 PM
in xsi you could use:
xsi -r -scene"fullpath to scene", or xsibatch -r

ray3 is only for MI files.

still I don't believe it's included in foundation, otherwise you could telnet and remote (the way 99% of the rendermanagers do) and use foundation as a double MRay license.

now... 200 euros a node for MRay rendering seems quite off the mark, that's why it's not included in foundation.

bt3d
12-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Ok, many, many thanks for the quick answer and explanation. It's a little bit annoying to load and render scenes each after an other, especially if you have to render 4 scenes over night :(
Or is there another solution ? I'm new to XSI, so I maybe overlook something.
Anyway, I think it's a little bit confusing that the documentaion seems to be the same for all licences without a hint what is available in which version.

Thanks again
Tim

wmendez
12-02-2004, 03:31 AM
As Jaco mentioned there is no distributed rendering capabilities in Foundation.
See the following list for more details including the rendering section
http://www.softimage.com/products/Xsi/v4/comparison/default.asp

bt3d
12-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the additional information wmendez. I already saw this list but my fault was to think that the distributed rendering means more than one computer and not the capability to render more than one scene each after another on one computer.

Thanks
Tim

Atyss
12-02-2004, 03:07 PM
What you are referring to is called batch rendering. Indeed, it is disabled in Foundation. You might consider RenderQ (www.renderq.net, the site has been down since a while though)

Cheers
Bernard

3DDave
12-02-2004, 04:52 PM
An upgrade to XSI Essentials would give you 4 satellite render nodes and batch serve.

ThE_JacO
12-02-2004, 05:45 PM
that I remember of renderQ was a really nice frontend to generate and start batch files.
that however requires shell rendering capabilities that foundation lacks.

back to square one, go for interactive rendering, to render multiple scenes your best bet is actually running a script inside XSI.

bt3d
12-03-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks again for the tips and hints. I already considered to upgrade to XSI Essentials. As I see in the 4.2 feature list the FXtree is also included now and I think models are also possible. That are two features which will be very helpful for my daily work. I just have to play a little bit more with XSI to see if it will fit for my work.
For this project I had to render 4 stills with different lights (unfortunately a lot of them). I solved the 'render problem' by animating all the lights from one image to next. And btw, I have to say I love the passes features! Fantastic!
Regards
Tim

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.