PDA

View Full Version : lightwave drag tool in XSI

dragon_little
12-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Hello everybody, Iīm another LW user switched to XSI. Here are my questions, perhaps anybody know how to get it right in XSI.

1. The tool I miss foremost is the "drag point" tool, lightwave has. Its used to drag points that share the same depth axis. In XSI I just found the "m" button tool, but I just can move single points. So, for example to move the corner points of a cube, I select the points with "t" button, switch to move tool, deselect points, and then the same with another point group. Is there a easier way to do this!?

2. how can I switch from front to back view, and from right to left view??

chris

yog
12-01-2004, 01:38 PM
One way is to use the Move Points tool in conjunction with the Proportional setting.

Set Proportional to "Use tagged points only" and set the effect radius down very low so you only work on a single point at a time.

Not as elegent as LW's Drag tool (where if any points are selected it only works on those by default), but the work around works.

BadCRC
12-01-2004, 03:20 PM
To switch from front->back view and right->left you must create the views yourself.

Get->camera->orthographic

ThE_JacO
12-01-2004, 03:49 PM
creating cameras is a pain in the ass, because they (like all other cameras) have a fixed aspect ratio.
select an object and middle click on the ortho icons on top of the view and it's going to show you -x, -y and -z instead of x, y or z.

Ziah
12-01-2004, 05:12 PM
nice tip jaco

jettocrack
12-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Perhaps using the selection or move tool in supra mode could help in order to reduce tool-switching...

dragon_little
12-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Thank you guys for the fast response! Your tips helped me, especially supra mode, I donīt thought about this ... :)
Avid say "the best 3d tool" but it doesnīt come with a simple drag points tool ... however, perhaps in the 4.5 update?!

chris

ThE_JacO
12-02-2004, 12:02 PM
it's a long while now I don't use LW.
I remember dragnet, magnet and all that, but how was drag different from move point?

yog
12-02-2004, 12:19 PM
but how was drag different from move point?
I think the main difference is that in LW you can select (tag) a number of points and from then on the Drag tool will only work on just those points.
I find I often select a ring of points even if I'm only going to move a couple as the highlighted points give feedback on your sectional shape.

As I said, you can work this way in XSI by incorporating the Proportional tool, but it's an extra step, especially if you have to keep switching the "Use tagged points only" and adjusting the falloff range, which is likely if you are using the Proportional Tool for other things. A few seconds to set up each time, but a few seconds can seem like a lifetime when you are in a point tweeking trance ;)

ThE_JacO
12-02-2004, 12:28 PM
I see... can't think of an instance where I would actually use that, all I ever needed is raycast on move tool (it's in the preferences), and I hate tools redundancy and favor adaptability of a tighter and tidier toolbox.

but I guess it's hard to change the way you work after you've used the same tools for long.

on the same tone of avoiding tools redundancy I think we are missing a big point of working with selections (opposed to a quick edit mode like move point).

if you use manipulators (and clicking in the mid of the manip is the equivalent of a free view drag) and set the manipulators options to "click outside manipulator : select" you can go in tag mode, select a point, manipulate it (eventually resize the manip to make it really small and non-obtrusive) and then click on any other point(s) and manipulate straight away.

this prevents switching back and forth between selecting and manipulating.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.