PDA

View Full Version : First DemoReel :: AngelCamacho

ACamacho
12-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Hi guys,

I am graduating soon from school (Art Institute of Atlanta). My focus is mainly environments and lighting.

http://www.angelcamacho-torres.com/files/preview.jpg

The reel has two pieces, one which most of you have seen I think (Underwater City (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=185280)) and the other a forest scene. Both were created in 3dsmax. The underwater scene was rendered in Mental Ray and the Forest scanline. Most of the textures were done with procedural textures. Compositing was done in AfterEffects.

Here are the movie formats:

Quicktime (http://www.angelcamacho-torres.com/files/angel_quicktime.mov)
Windows Media (http://www.angelcamacho-torres.com/files/angel_windows.wmv)

My website (http://www.angelcamacho-torres.com)

Fire away :-)

-Angel Camacho

siouxfire
12-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Beautiful scenes - a good solid feeling in both of them. The one part that seemed to let down the whole presentation (for me anyhow) seemed to be the sunset lighting in the forest. Parts of the scene actually seemed darker than the night lighting. The contrast was a bit harsh. Aside from that - it's stunning work.

Still, these images have a brilliant fairytale feel to them and the music fits just right. How about some pollen in the air for the forest scene? I think that might be interesting. Your presentation is brilliant - very inspiring.

ACamacho
12-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Hmm. One of the drawbacks of compression is that not all the detail is there. :-/ But I do have pollen falling down from the trees (particle pass in the breakdown). About the sunset, I have been fighting with all my scenes in lighting because I work with many different monitors (school and home). They are all not calibrated correctly I suppose.

Thank you for the feedback!

-Angel

*if anybody has suggestions on making my video quality better, feel free to post them. My settings are MPEG4 65% for quicktime and WMV 9 100% for windows.*

Schimpf
12-01-2004, 06:19 PM
AngelCamacho,

It looks great, man. I wish my first demo came anywhere near to the level of craftsmanship you've shown here. If I could offer 2 critiques though:

First, I'm just not sure you're showing enough here. I'm a big fan of a short reel, but short in length, not content. The breakdowns are a good idea for a compositing position, but I think they're too slow and in the end your reel only amounts to the 2 environments. They're brilliant, but you've still only got 2. I'd show more. Even if you don't do the full breakdown animated pass thing you could show some still-life images, or still images of other environments you've built.

Second, the particle passes on each one just aren't coming across to me and this is in a quicktime on a nice big LCD monitor. I can't imagine they will read as anything but a black screen on a VHS dub. Just a thought.

But like I said, man, I'm jealous of you starting your career with this quality of work. I just think you need more to really make the sale.

simple_minded
12-01-2004, 08:19 PM
I agree with Sag, I love what you have done also, the music is great it goes great with the shots. The underwater scene is the highlight of the of the demo. But I would love to see more of the forest as well, You should put some type of creature in there as well. Sag, sorry you are yapping way to much. I would also love to see more of your work, perhaps a Jail, or a desert/ Egyptian scene. And again I agree with Sag, Your work is really inspiring, I to want to do environments now also.

Call me now for your free Reading! (lordi mercy!)

sagleon
12-01-2004, 08:19 PM
I love the work that you have done so far on both the underwater scene and the forest scene. The music along with the timing of the shots are well decided. It seems that the underwter scene is the highlight of the reel by its length and number of shots, but it would be nice to see more of the forest scene as well. The forest scene is more compelling because of its color and lighting. The forest scene really sparks the viewer's imagination and since there is only one shot it even heightens the possobilities of what the story of the scene could be. The bottom line without me yapping on, is that I would like to see more of anything you have on the forest scene. Great job, really that isn't just some curtious statement. Your work really is inspiring, now I want to do environments and all I do is characters. The website is also a nice addition in that it goes along with the pieces you have on your reel as far as design is concerned.
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

ACamacho
12-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Schimpf,

You are right about the demoreel length. I've been debating whether to show more content in the reel. I chose to keep it short because many people I have talked (or threads discussing demoreels) to recommended that a reel should be no more than 3 minutes. So I decided to focus on my best projects and show how I did them.

I can't really change it right now (graduate very soon) but I will definitely try your suggestions to add more content. About how the particles will look in VHS, thankfully everything looks right. :-)

Thanks for the input!

Simple-minded and Sagleon,

Get back to work! ;-)

-Angel

KolbyJukes
12-02-2004, 12:23 AM
wow, that was a really great reel. I love the mood, and the presentation is excellent.

It might be a tad bit on the long side, and the sunset lighting on the enchanted forest could use some work, but overall...wow.

who's the music by? I really enjoyed it.

-K.

tabajara
12-02-2004, 02:44 AM
this is totally cool man!

congrats!

i love the felling and the lighting!

ACamacho
12-02-2004, 11:44 AM
KWAK,

The music is from the Amelie soundtrack. Awesome movie if you haven't seen it. It's one of my favorite movies for references on lighting.

I don't want to sound repetitive but again thanks for the positive comments!

-Angel

rbgallinera
12-02-2004, 01:40 PM
the forest scene was enchanting alright...rather awespiring overall.

Animation626
02-06-2005, 05:53 AM
hey im a student at the art institute of atlanta and i was trying to find some of ours school's student works on cgtalk when i stumbled upon yours. its is a beautiful compostion and it definitely gives me something to look forward to as i continue my classes. great work!

Sir Ravel
02-06-2005, 10:32 AM
KWAK,

The music is from the Amelie soundtrack. Awesome movie if you haven't seen it. It's one of my favorite movies for references on lighting.

I don't want to sound repetitive but again thanks for the positive comments!

-Angel
an awesome movie (yours)
and idd an great film too!

Greetz

ScottageCheese
02-06-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm honored to share an office with this dude.

Can't go wrong with the Amelie soundtrack in a reel. Very well done breakdowns, too.

Angel, you rock Holmes! Really nice reel... Havn't seen all of it, till now.

ACamacho
02-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Animation626,

It's cool to see fellow AIA students hanging around here. Offtopic, are you part of the Siggraph animation team by any chance?

ScottageCheese,

who are you? :-P j/k

Thanks that means alot to me coming from you man. *tear*

Hehehe.....thanks for the comments guys!

josephlyw
02-07-2005, 12:16 AM
you got some great scences http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

tabajara
02-07-2005, 09:06 PM
ModeratorS!

FRONT PAGE NOW!

I've don't believe that this stuff haven't been pluged yet.

dahiya
02-08-2005, 08:07 AM
WOW! simply fabulous!!! :thumbsup:

p0rcupine
02-09-2005, 04:27 PM
it's beautiful...

I would like to live in there with my love and dogs.. great job

-KDX-
02-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Nice reel...very professional. I have no real crits...right number of pieces and all very beautiful.

Hey would you guys recomment AIA??

I live near there and would consider attending if I knew how well they prepare you for the "real world" I am already proficient in animation, modeling, etc...all the technicaly stuff. What I don't have the best grip on is workflow, application, and *landing* a job...if AIA can help in those areas as well as give me guidance artistically then it'd be a good deal for me.

Get back with me via PM or this thread...

-KDX-

davidchiu
02-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Nice Work !!

The Forest enviroment is completely Beautiful !!

Congratualtions.

David U.Chiu

gilley
02-11-2005, 12:23 AM
I graduated from AIA back in December 2001 and there wasn't anything of this quality coming out of that school back then. Looks like they might be improving their teaching :)

Good stuff man!

P.S. Does Carolyn McCracken or Paul Orlando still work there? (teachers in the Media Arts program)

Blockhead
02-11-2005, 02:43 AM
For a first reel it's really beautiful!
Keep it up!

ACamacho
02-11-2005, 03:02 AM
Thanks guys! :)

Gilley,

Paul still teaches there. I came in around spring 2001.....back when Madeline Baum, Paul, and McCracken were there. It's gotten alot better though.

KDX,

I don't have enough time to give you a full answer to your question....so here's a quickie. :) Yes I would recommend it because of the fact that the instructors can guide you along the way and are very experienced. They've helped me alot.

jdsb
02-11-2005, 10:52 PM
its a beautiful reel man, congrats on a faboulous realisation of your efforts :buttrock::)
simply beautiful the way the music blends with the animation,congrats:thumbsup:

Obi
02-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Great reel! I loved it, the enchanted forrest (mostly the colors) has a Warcraft3 style!:)

(Sorry for bothering with the music, but can I ask what the title is? I'd like to search for it's sheet and learn:) )

ACamacho
02-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Obi,

the music is from the soundtrack of Amelie. Great track and movie. :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.