PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Multiplayer....

jjburton
12-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Could that be the suprise for next week? This screen cap makes me think maybe....

Check it out.... (http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news)

That ain't Gordon holding that gravity gun!

SpeccySteve
12-01-2004, 02:40 AM
Matresses at ten paces. Or Watermelons. :)

Ollarin
12-01-2004, 02:46 AM
Ooooh! Half Life 2 Multiplayer!

I do hope that's true! *Shoots watermelons at Speccy*

Zeruel the 14th
12-01-2004, 02:47 AM
Watermelons! (How much damage do they do?)

Very intriguing pic. Can't wait to see what it is like. Deathmatch and CTF presumably.
Feel sorry for bastards on right...there looks to be an eplosive barrel sitting behind them. The guy middle rear ain't so bright either.

Love to see what sort of crap the levels will be full of. (can't forget the kitchen sink)

TRi-14
12-01-2004, 03:53 AM
filename is HL2DM.jpg. Half Life 2 Death Match? i sure hope so. i bought this game more for multiplayer than single, so i hope they develope this.

how do you guys think they will release multiplayer? a download patch maybe?

-chris

ZippZopp
12-01-2004, 03:59 AM
i was just thinking about how much fun it would be to shoot random stuff at people with the gravity gun!!! hopefully this will come very soon! can't wait

Stillwell
12-01-2004, 04:13 AM
It's officially coming!

http://www.csnation.net/comments.php?id=7655

Greylion
12-01-2004, 04:28 AM
man what a surprise, i bet they had this already planned a long time ago they just held back so people would play the single player game first to wet their appetite, shame about the recent news of a mod team out there that was creating a HL2DM mod looks like that will get shelved !

kwshipman
12-01-2004, 05:08 AM
It would be great if we could get the Gravity gun that lets you pick up bodies so we could kill a person with their own corpse. People get mad when you beat their corpse in Halo 2, just imagine the insults you could do with that gun.

Ollarin
12-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Hey guys. The update it out...I logged on just as they updated it.
Downloading HL2 deathmatch now. It's 47 MB. :D

Weeee!!

mmkelly011881
12-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Its Been Released!!
Soon Meaning Now!!!

this is where they show off how steam kicks ass

mmkelly011881
12-01-2004, 05:19 AM
ra.. whats ur friends name.. mine is mmkelly

Geta-Ve
12-01-2004, 05:20 AM
yay i have it now!:D

Ollarin
12-01-2004, 05:23 AM
AdmiralRa is my account name. Adding you now, Kelly. :D

Geta-Ve
12-01-2004, 05:27 AM
guess that "whats your friends name in steam" thread was pretty useless eh ;)

mmkelly011881
12-01-2004, 05:31 AM
my friends list hasnt shown anyone being online yet... no idea if it actually works

all the servers are rediculous pings right now.. prolly need to wait for a ded server

Geta-Ve
12-01-2004, 05:32 AM
man i cant even get it to work.. it goes to the preparing screen then thats it.. notta

Ollarin
12-01-2004, 05:34 AM
Kelly, you and Geta are offline too. I don't think that friends thing actually works. :p

mrwilt
12-01-2004, 05:35 AM
damn. Keeps saying the servers are too busy, try again in a few minutes.

Zeruel the 14th
12-01-2004, 05:42 AM
It would be great if we could get the Gravity gun that lets you pick up bodies so we could kill a person with their own corpse. People get mad when you beat their corpse in Halo 2, just imagine the insults you could do with that gun.
I'm hoping for being able to rip weapons and ammo away from others as they go to pick it up...though i have doubts as to whether they're allow the shifting of item from their spawn points...oh well. better go and d/l and find out.

kwshipman
12-01-2004, 05:51 AM
well, I downloaded the updates, but it won't launch any of the games. I double click on one of the games (I've tried HL2, CS:S, and HL2DM), I hear my drives spin up, then stop. Nothing happens. The game doesn't load, and I get no messages.

mmkelly011881
12-01-2004, 05:53 AM
i created a server to test it out (no other players)... its the same grav gun... not the body lifting one... seems kinda cool although i also could not get into a server

jjburton
12-01-2004, 06:16 AM
I did the same, mmKelly. Created a server and played around. It could be a lot of fun with people. I finally did get in a server with people, but the lag was horrendous. But it actually made it pretty funny. All of a sudden I'd get kills I had no idea how I'd gotten and then suddenly die for no apparent reason as some other guy had the same luck. We'll have to wait till the server issues are ironed out.

SheepFactory
12-01-2004, 07:58 AM
It was more like Lagmatch for me. No matter which server i picked :(

mmkelly011881
12-01-2004, 08:01 AM
just played 2 different games on 2 servers... no lag.. its REALLY REALLY FUN!!

ztargazer
12-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Managed to get into a a nice server and no lag at all. Love it! Using the grav gun is a blast!

Garma
12-01-2004, 09:00 AM
that's nice, thanks valve!

on second thoughts... DOwnloaded it and nothing works. This sucks.

Geta-Ve
12-01-2004, 10:55 AM
garma, if you have the source dedicated server, you can just create your own server and play that way... thats how i had to do it.. but lag does suck :( fun being the god though (not GOD MODE, just being able to set things and such :P)

Para
12-01-2004, 12:23 PM
well, I downloaded the updates, but it won't launch any of the games. I double click on one of the games (I've tried HL2, CS:S, and HL2DM), I hear my drives spin up, then stop. Nothing happens. The game doesn't load, and I get no messages.

For everyone wondering why HL2/CS:S/other Source games are not working after latest update:

This problem seems to be related only to retail version (not 100% sure, but sure seems like that way since Steam buyers haven't complained) and the only difference between store version and Steam version is SecuROM, which Vivendi just slapped in even after valve saying that it'll be useless. I have absolutely no idea why this occurs but I'm pretty confident another patch will come within 48 hours or after that there will be a rollback to last working version of HL2 - just to point out, worldwide rollback is one of Steam's nifty server-side features :)

Garma
12-01-2004, 12:30 PM
This problem seems to be related only to retail

I am a steam buyer with those problems.

Geta-Ve: you mean the dedicated server works even while none of the other games work?

kex
12-01-2004, 01:24 PM
im retail and dm plays but lags they should get rid of grav gun tbh

Garma
12-01-2004, 04:14 PM
hah! it works! No lag or whatsoever. Not too much maps and modes.

Spawning sucks. Crap I get spawned time after time in the middle of a fight.
Gravity gun is best thing in multiplayer yet. It's so cool to throw cars onto fighting people :D

kwshipman
12-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Mine started working this morning. Not sure what Valve did but I'm glad that they fixed it quickly.

I played the level in the jail (didn't pay attention to the title) and it was a lot of fun. There is a air duct that you can crawl through that has a ton of ammo and the rocket launcher. It is fun to watch yourself being evaporated by the Combine machine gun Alt-fire, but it is a little over powered for death match. (someone took out two of us in one shot because of how it keeps bouncing) The spawning was quite bad. A lot of times I would spawn in the middle of a fight or right in front of someone. All in all, I think they did a rather good job.

richcz3
12-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Steam is updating smoothly right now (Wednesday morning). I'm amazed they released it ahead of the anouncement next week. I guess too many resourceful individuals saw the HL2 Deathmatch code in the dll files.

Lunatique
12-02-2004, 02:51 AM
I'm hoping for being able to rip weapons and ammo away from others as they go to pick it up...though i have doubts as to whether they're allow the shifting of item from their spawn points...oh well. better go and d/l and find out.
Now you can make the threat "I'm going to rip off your arm and beat you to death with it!" and actually carry it out.

Gwot
12-02-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm a steam customer and I keep getting "server too busy" message while trying to install HL2 dm. Tried off and on all last night and again this morning. It can't be that overloaded. This has been my only problem with steam so far.

Edit: ok I'm a dumbass... apparently my steam account needed to be restarted after some previous auto updates (I haven't touched HL2 in over a week). Restarting allowed me to connect and play right away.

lyndon
12-02-2004, 04:42 PM
I got it last night. Its good to see things just pop up in your games list from Steam, like a freebie just sitting there.

I eventually found a server that wasn't full. It was very laggy what with all the flying toilets etc... maybe there were too many people (30+)

Good fun, but very spammy, not "too" much control/skill required. :)

The best bit is when somebody goes to throw a desk at you so you quickly switch to the gravity gun and catch it mid air and smash it back at him before he even knows whats hit him!

kwshipman
12-02-2004, 05:31 PM
The best bit is when somebody goes to throw a desk at you so you quickly switch to the gravity gun and catch it mid air and smash it back at him before he even knows whats hit him! or you see someone carrying an explosive barrel and you shoot it before they can throw it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.