PDA

View Full Version : Sub d modelling and iterations 1 or 2?

Fede
08-28-2002, 09:16 AM
Hi All

I was just wondering, when you guys are modelling in sub d and apply a mesh smooth, how many iterations do you set it to?

What is the optimal setting? does it depend on how detailed your subd model is?

Hope this make sense cause when i try animate something oraganic one iteration looks terrible and 2 looks like a round ball of nothing.

thanx all.

Iain McFadzen
08-28-2002, 09:33 AM
It depends on how close you need to view the object and on how dense the control mesh is. Adding extra iterations shouldn't significantly change the volume of the model though, so I'd suggest if meshsmooth is decimating your model it's because you are adding it as an afterthought. That won't work, you have to learn what effects meshsmooth has on a mesh, why, and how to control it.

Cue the pedant brigade's discussion on what "SubDs" are...

Fede
08-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Hi Iain

Thank you very much for your reply i am sure that it will help me a lot to understand subds.

Could you direct me to that discussion you are talking about as i can't seem to find it, please.

Thanx

Iain McFadzen
08-28-2002, 01:25 PM
Go read this:

http://www.izware.com/news/indexa446.html

then this:

http://maxrovat.sns.hu/subdiv/

They should help you understand what happens to a mesh when you subdivide it (as well as showing you some important modeling fundementals).

My comment about the SubD argument wasn't aimed at you, it was a sarcastic remark aimed at the pedants who insist on poluting every thread containing the term "SubD" with an argument over it's "true" definition.

Chris
08-28-2002, 09:01 PM
... which inevitably leads into a discussion over which application has true Sub-D or not - all this generally degenerates into:

Max!
Maya!
Max!
Maya!
Max!!!
Maya!!!!! :annoyed:
Max!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lightwave Roolez. W00t!
does not!
does too!!
not!
too!!
not!

ad infinitum....

so can we consider it done? :)

Fede
08-29-2002, 07:22 AM
Hi Chris,

Thanx for your input but i've searched the board for subd modelling before posting my own thread and i read enough about max maya crap and i'm not really interested in that. I don't care if it's true sub d or not, i saw what people like Iain, wiro and pascal blanche can do with max and i'm quite happy to learn how to achieve that even if it is not true subd or what ever.

thanx for your input anyway. If you have some links for me to read i would appreciate it.

later

Chris
08-29-2002, 08:33 PM
Hi Fede,

I'm with you! I dont care too much abou true sub-d or not, Meshsmooth does the job for me! :thumbsup: I was only joking around with my post ;)

Fede
08-30-2002, 07:35 AM
Hey Chris

No prob dude, i was not being that way.

I must say that Michel Roger's tuts on 3d total are fantastic for subd, and have learnt a great deal from them.

i think people should really take a look and start there.

later

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.