PDA

View Full Version : it this a good workflow?

AdrianLazar
11-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Hi !
Because i had some problems with my characters (setting up uv, enveloping and all the rest) i searched for a workflow, and, as i'm and young xsi user i would like to know if there are any riscs and if you have any suggestions.

- cube + cut half + clone single + scale -1
- assign materials
- assign a texture projection
- merge the object with all the atributtes
- envelope the merged mesh and using it for animation and final render
- using the first cube for setting up uv's and modifying geometry - as one is clone, i have to modify only one half for the symmetric changes (as this are most common in the a character creation)
- using the merged object for setting up uv's and modifying geometry that dosen't have to be symmetric

I find this metod quite non-distructive, and it's working fine in a 10 minutes test, but you know any issue using this workflow please shared with me
Thank you!

Ablefish
12-01-2004, 12:44 AM
My only recommendation, and I'm considering putting this in my signature, is rather than the whole clone-scale-1-mergelater, create the clone and then apply a Symmetrize Polygons to the clone. It's a little more efficient and you don't have to deal with manual merges to see what it looks like without the seam up the middle. (And you can layer on modeling operations for asymmetrical changes, though I wouldn't change your point count at this level)

It's also a good idea to apply the texture projection before the clone operation because then any changes you make to either the half's mesh, or UVs, will be propogated to the symed clone. Projections applied later won't work this way.

You can always apply an envelope to the symed clone without any freezing. That gives you a pretty flexible workflow. You can also use the Freeze M button to freeze just the modeling stack for the halfie and it won't hurt anything, including the projection propogation. (You can freeze the texture projection on the halfie as well, for that matter.)

AdrianLazar
12-01-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks Ablefish, works greate with Symmetrize Polygons ! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.