PDA

View Full Version : Animation Session 11 - Action Cut - December 1 > December 20th

SheepFactory
11-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Greetings everyone ,

We are back after a 3 week break with another session , sorry about the delay.

This sessions theme is Action Cut

Here is what you have to do:

http://ali.cgcommunity.com/cut.jpg

1) have your character be idle at first

2) Character hears\feels\senses something and starts turning to react to it

3) Reaction occurs , and this is where we have the camera cut

4) Reaction carries over across the cut and we show what the character is reacting to.

The trick here is to have the cut feel invisible to the viever , if you cut nicely and carry the action across seamlessly the cut will be unnoticable.

I have to stress out the carry the action part , the action needs to be continuous between the 3th and 4th shot.

You can go creative on what the character reacts to , have fun :)

here are the rules other than the ones listed above:

> You have 100 frames to tell the story , cut should occur no longer than frame 60. If you feel like telling the story in a shorter time thats fine but no longer than 100 frames.

> No sound

> No rendering , playblasts are fine , you can render after the session , or if you finish early and have spare time.

> Using premade characters , rigs and free rigs available on the net is perfectly fine. Please do not spend time modelling\rigging characters as you dont have enough time to do that and finish the session.

> No Dynamics

> Using multiple characters is allowed

> You need to post WIP's as you go along , posting a finished anim near the end of session will result in your thread getting deleted. The reason for this is to encourage everyone to show wips and critique each others work.

This is it folks , I hope everyone has much fun coming up with new ideas.

As always please ask any questions you have about this session in this thread and start a new thread when you join , ie:

Ali Tezel - Animation Session 11 - Action Cut

--

Ali

titaniumdave
11-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Sweet! I'm in ofcourse. :)

Remi
11-30-2004, 10:21 PM
And i'm in as well....let the thinking begin:)

leach
11-30-2004, 10:31 PM
im new to this so please excuse the question. where can i get some pre-made models, like the ones in previous challenges?

thanks

SheepFactory
11-30-2004, 10:36 PM
im new to this so please excuse the question. where can i get some pre-made models, like the ones in previous challenges?

thanks
What software will you be using?

jakiloblanco
11-30-2004, 10:43 PM
can we use 2d tools like flash to do this???

SheepFactory
11-30-2004, 10:48 PM
can we use 2d tools like flash to do this???

Absolutely , medium is not important , you can use 2d , 3d , stop motion , whatever

Frelp
11-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Sounds wicked! Time permitting, I may finally get in on one of these sessions.

vrljc
11-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Althought kinda short, I think this is a really good idea for an animation session. My animation class had a phone interview with a disney animator and we asked him all kinds of questions and one thing that he kept bringing up over and over again about what you should put into your reel is showing attitude/emotional changes in a character. This session is a perfect opportunity to do just that.

-jon

monstersauce
11-30-2004, 11:14 PM
count me in as well!

when you say no rendering... do you mean only play blasts or just no super smooth global illumination? :p

Obraxis
11-30-2004, 11:27 PM
I'll be joining on this one - try and get at least one vote this time :)

teflonron
11-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Nice Session Sheep.. It's a great change of pace from animating to a dialogue. I'm looking forward to this one.

Jozvex
11-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Oooh this sounds cool, I might be able to enter this month.

_______
EDIT: I just thought of a question, how idle is idle? Can my character actively be doing something on his own? Like listening to music or something?

InAction
12-01-2004, 12:35 AM
I maybe am in, maybe not. Have alot to do.

Anyway, when is the deadline?

eirenicon
12-01-2004, 01:11 AM
Question, does this have to be just two camera shots or can there be more than one shot/angle before the action cut? Also, do they have to be static shots?

Psotek
12-01-2004, 01:29 AM
Ive never entered one of these, so I too would like to know if there is some premade models for these sessions? Im using max. Thanks in advance. :D

Suricate
12-01-2004, 05:55 AM
Hmm, sounds like an interesting challenge :thumbsup: ! Have to think about an idea ...

> You have 100 frames to tell the story , cut should occur no longer than frame 60. If you feel like telling the story in a shorter time thats fine but no longer than 100 frames.
Question to Ali: You mean the cut should be no later than frame 60 ? Also, 100 frames (i.e. about 4 seconds) looks rather short to me, considering that the character has to go through some emotional change. Might it be possible to extend that to more than 100 frames ?

SheepFactory
12-01-2004, 06:15 AM
Question, does this have to be just two camera shots or can there be more than one shot/angle before the action cut? Also, do they have to be static shots?

Yes only two shots and static camera.

SheepFactory
12-01-2004, 06:18 AM
Hmm, sounds like an interesting challenge :thumbsup: ! Have to think about an idea ...

Question to Ali: You mean the cut should be no later than frame 60 ? Also, 100 frames (i.e. about 4 seconds) looks rather short to me, considering that the character has to go through some emotional change. Might it be possible to extend that to more than 100 frames ?

Hey Christopher ,

yes the cut should be anytime before frame 60. regarding the lenght , we were given 48 frames for this assignment and everyone turned out pretty impressive animations , 100 frames is more than enough for this session and because it is short you can really spend the time perfecting everything.

Ali

Schwinnz
12-01-2004, 06:22 AM
Absolutely , medium is not important , you can use 2d , 3d , stop motion , whatever

Sounds like someone will be experimenting with AE soon. ;)

Heh question:

100 frames ? What kind of framerate are we talking about ?

depleteD
12-01-2004, 06:33 AM
WOw
thats so cool, lets everyone practise directing.
Im really gonna try and get this one done. No school in december. :D

Great topic. good luck everyone!

bentllama
12-01-2004, 07:20 AM
sounds like a neat challenge!

NatXotic
12-01-2004, 07:27 AM
guess i'll give it a shot aswell.

What framerate are we talking here about?
Is there somewhere an example for bad cam cut away?

Psotek
12-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Soo... is there any premade models?

leach
12-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Soo... is there any premade models?
this was my original question too, im using maya.

regarding the framecount, would it be allowed to have a playback speed of, say, 12 fps, so i could effectively double the length of my animation?

elvis75k
12-01-2004, 08:47 AM
I may use my new character.. I'm ready? Who can tell...
Anyway i like the idea. :wise:

sonicstrawbery
12-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Cool subject Sheep, i'll try to be into this one if i have time between work, challenge and my life...

maninflash
12-01-2004, 09:45 AM
can I use bouncing balls as the two character and try to show the emotion change on them?

NatXotic
12-01-2004, 10:03 AM
this was my original question too, im using maya.

regarding the framecount, would it be allowed to have a playback speed of, say, 12 fps, so i could effectively double the length of my animation?
@bortozch and leach:
You can either goto www.rigging101.com or google and look for other models.

DJ_Lizard
12-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Tell me if I am right - Camera Cut, is different angle, showing all image, I mean char and to what he is reacting?

mpuoci
12-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Typically 12fps is for hand/trad. animation but this should probably be around 24fps to the best of my knowledge. Sheep?

Darknessseeker0
12-01-2004, 04:55 PM
I've never done one of these, but I'll give it a shot! Do we just post our WIP in the animation WIP section?

SheepFactory
12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
can I use bouncing balls as the two character and try to show the emotion change on them?
No you cant , you have to use Humanoid characters for this one.

SheepFactory
12-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Typically 12fps is for hand/trad. animation but this should probably be around 24fps to the best of my knowledge. Sheep?

24 or 30 frames guys , trust me 4 seconds is enough to tell the story.

SheepFactory
12-01-2004, 05:36 PM
I've never done one of these, but I'll give it a shot! Do we just post our WIP in the animation WIP section?

You start a thread under the animation session forum and post your WIP's and Final there and everyone post critiques to your animation in that thread.

RaisedByWolves
12-01-2004, 07:16 PM
When is the deadline? I don't need an exact date, I'm just curious if it's a couple week thing or a month thing?

~Raised

RaisedByWolves
12-01-2004, 08:17 PM
I just noticed the 'to December 20th' on the thread name a bit too late.

Sorry about that.

~Raised

F3D
12-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Ok Im in, first cg talk comp and all :)
However I didnt pay to close atention to the 60 frame point of no return mark :)
so I just went ahead and animated, I did the cut at frame 73, am I totaly disqualified? :)

bouhic
12-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Why does it have to be humanoid characters?

isn't that interesting to try to give emotions to unusual characters like objects?

SheepFactory
12-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Why does it have to be humanoid characters?

isn't that interesting to try to give emotions to unusual characters like objects?
If you checked the past sessions you'll see we used non humanoid characters quite often. For this challenge only humanoids are allowed. Sorry if thats a big inconvenience for you.

Darknessseeker0
12-03-2004, 06:01 AM
Hey, when you say your character must be idle, do mean idle as in completely doing nothing? I ask because I had browsed through some of the threads people posted for this session and I remember reading that someone wanted their character to be dancing to the radio, (I'm not trying to shoot down this person's idea). No one had said anything about them not being able to do that because the character isn't idle. I was just wondering, since what my guy reacts to will depend on wether he can initially be doing something or if he has to just stand or sit there not doing anything.

SheepFactory
12-03-2004, 07:45 AM
he can be doing whatever you want as long as he notices something and has a gear change.

marthe2k3
12-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Holy Shit ! I'm in with my latin lover 3d model ;-)
I just think 100 frmes is a bit short, but hey, that's the challenge...

Keep on Rockin'

maximanya
12-10-2004, 09:57 AM
www.rigging101.com (http://www.rigging101.com)
http://www.andrewsilke.com/rigs_scripts.html
these are some free rigs for maya

and of course i'm in too. good luck everybody.

SuKo
12-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Hi,
can anybody tell me what exact time we have to finish our animation ?
I know, it's the 20. december ... but will it be just in the night to the 21.?

Like 20.december 11.59 pm - but which timezone?

TIA, :)

Susanne

MrSolo
12-20-2004, 12:05 AM
Hi,
can anybody tell me what exact time we have to finish our animation ?
I know, it's the 20. december ... but will it be just in the night to the 21.?

Like 20.december 11.59 pm - but which timezone?

TIA, :)

Susanne

Nice question... I want to now it too!

Cya

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.