Hi !

I like to make realistic Lacquered wood, like in these:

http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/Images/img_a04_greco33_spluttercube.jpg

http://www.max3d.com/media/55/brazil1.jpg

How can i do that?
Can ne1 post a simple scene file?

leigh
08-28-2002, 08:52 AM
AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!! They used cedarfence.jpg!!!
I'm so tired of seeing that wood image in renders all over the web :rolleyes:

Right, all they have done is make it a bit reflective ;)
And a bit of specularity too ;)
Should be very simple to do - just load that material in Max and add reflection and specularity so that it looks like that!

Tumerboy
08-28-2002, 10:35 AM
it helps to put a bit of a wood grain bump on it, otherwise your reflections will be perfect. . . not a desirable aspect . . outside of real life.

drunkenmaster20
08-29-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!! They used cedarfence.jpg!!!
I'm so tired of seeing that wood image in renders all over the web :rolleyes:

Right, all they have done is make it a bit reflective ;)
And a bit of specularity too ;)
Should be very simple to do - just load that material in Max and add reflection and specularity so that it looks like that!

oh ffs, I just wrote a page of text, only to find that my image was 23kb too big...

I'll try to start again.

I'm having a problem with wood textures, so I thought I'd put it with this one. I am building a replica of my room (how original) for showcasing my objects, and stuff. I'm trying to recreate a Pine texture, and am not having a great deal of success.

If you look at the attached picture, you can see my problem. The wooden 'desk' at the bottom of the screen is a very light yellow, with slightly darker grain. The less light it gets, the darker the grain becomes. Unfortunately, it's only the grain, the actual base colour of the wood stays the same. Also, you can see that the texture in my picture is literally 2-colour. It shouldn't be, that is the default oak map from 3dsmax, and is a photo.

The problem only appears with the radiosity system. It looks good in the light tracer (if a little washed out), it looks superb in the viewport, it's just when I do a full radiosity number on it, it has this bizarre contrast problem.

I think it may be because the texture map for the wood is on the diffuse level, and from what I understand, Radiosity calculates diffuse glow from the diffuse settings. Unfortunately, Max gets it's primary colour information from the diffuse settings. Would it work better if I put the map on the ambient level?

I think I just answered my own question:shrug:

Anyway, I'll still post, as information on radiosity is sadly lacking, and things like this can be a real pain in the arse.

Anyone wanting to explain this in a bit more detail, please go right ahead.

If anyone wants the scene I used, to see this for themselves (or to plan a full-scale assault on my study), please email me.

leigh
08-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Yeah, this is indeed a bizarre conundurum :surprised

The only thing I can think of is what you have already suggested - that it is the diffusion setting.... Have you tried setting up the wood texture using one of the Raytrace material options - those materials allow you to have seperate diffusion and colour options :)

drunkenmaster20
08-29-2002, 04:42 PM
I'm just about to rip home from work and try this, and I'll let you know how I get on :D

drunkenmaster20
08-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Ok, I've tried moving the texture to the ambient layer, but still no joy, the contrast still goes way out of wack towards the corner.

I'm trying various things, but it's taking a while, as rebuilding the GI solution each time is annoying :D

drunkenmaster20
08-29-2002, 06:09 PM
Wouldn't you know it, the solution I was building as I made that last post was the clincher. I turned off bumpmapping, and it sorted it out nicely.

I tried a couple of other setting, and bumpmapping would appear to be 'out' for this scene at least. I even tried it at 1%, and still got exactly the same effect.

I still have no real idea why, mind you.

I'll post a picture in a bit, now I can actually finish the texture.

drunkenmaster20
08-29-2002, 07:12 PM
Here you go, I've got the colour just about right, and the grain is as close as I can get for now, but best of all, I don't have a load of unaliased 2-colour textures! :airguitar

leigh
08-29-2002, 07:47 PM
Aaaaah much nicer :D Well done!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.