PDA

View Full Version : New to XSI, Where to begin?

lucid_polygon
11-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi,

I recently received my copy of XSI and the training DVD's. I am up to speed on the modelling aspects, working on the animation, but.... rendering!This is where I am baffled.

What I would like to know is:
1) What is the recommended order to go through the training DVD's?
2) What is the best way to learn how to render in XSI? The training DVD makes it seem very complicated to a XSI newbie.

Thanks in advance.

Vertizor
11-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Can you explain a little more specifically what particular aspects of rendering you need help with? If you have the Fundamentals book it should cover basic rendering info. If you're trying to do fancy things like GI, Final Gathering, caustics, there's tutorials everywhere on that. In fact I used a Maya+Mental Ray tutorial to better understand FG.

When you do a search, keep an eye out for "mental ray" even if it's a tut for a different app - like Maya - some of the basic rules still apply, and I found that even material parameters are similar in XSI so I was able to follow the tutorial just fine.

lucid_polygon
11-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Once a model is complete, and the model in unwrapped, and ready to apply texture/rendure, I am stuck on the last part... texturing and rendering.

For example, I made a simple ring the other night and tried to get a "platinum" look to it... and after hours of trying different things and searching the training dvd's for something remotely similar... I was unable to get a satisfying render.

XSI seems very advanced when compared to other apps I have used in the past. It will obviously take some getting used to. In my previous experiences, getting a metallic look was not so difficult... but then again... the apps didnt have anything like the rendertree.

So I take it from your response that the best way to begin to understand the rendering process is to understand Mental Ray?

Hope all of this doesnt sound too dense, I am just trying to learn.

Vertizor
11-30-2004, 09:59 PM
The metallic effect you're trying to get has a word for it: fresnel. I did a search and came up with a lot of irrelevant things. If you want to continue the search, "fresnel" is the keyword, but also throw in mental ray into the search parameters.

Here's a start: http://www.3dnuts.com/tutorials/mat_metal/mat_gold_silver_copper.shtml

It's 3DS Max specific but if you understand the concepts behind it, you could recreate it in XSI, it is after all Mental Ray material parameters.

Try these sites for metallic shaders:

http://www.highend3d.com/xsi/shaders/

http://www.edharriss.com/shaders/shaders.htm

lucid_polygon
11-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks Vertizor, this should help out greatly!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.