PDA

View Full Version : XSI 4.2 is out.

EdHarriss
11-30-2004, 07:02 PM
"Crowd-simulation software (SOFTIMAGE|BEHAVIORô) now included with SOFTIMAGE|XSI Advanced; SOFTIMAGE|XSI Essentials now includes compositing and paint features"

- http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v4/
- http://www.xsibase.com/news.php?detail=1172

GatorNic
11-30-2004, 07:18 PM
wow! it just keeps getting better. Adding compositing and paint to essentials and Behavior to advanced...man that reallly makes it tempting to upgrade.

also took a look at the bug fixes/enhancements sheet. took care a butt-load of stuff, especially a couple bugs I was looking to get by. awesome! thank you!

Signal2Noise
11-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Ed, FYI both provided links go to XSI Base. ;)

EdHarriss
11-30-2004, 07:51 PM
- oops. :) Fixed now.
- Check this thread out too: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=190668

Cometsoft
11-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Apparently you can't see the bug fixes unless you're on a maintenance contract or I'm just stoopid and can't find it.

Does anyone know if it's safe to use the RV-Materials Editor now or at least if they claim to have fixed that bug? I'd like to use the Material Editor, seems more like hypershade to me.

Ziah
11-30-2004, 08:38 PM
sucks being a student in xsi :cry:

Rabid pitbull
11-30-2004, 08:51 PM
I just saw this too and am in the process of downloading this. I am a foundation user, is this update available for free? I am just trying to make sure that the file i am downloading is not a demo, and will in fact update the current version.

sorry for the noobness, but i have never owned a application that is controled by maintenance agreements like xsi is.

ssalo
11-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Yes! 4.2 is up and running. Too bad they didn't include the Texture Layer in Foundation's update... ;). But bug fixes are good news anyways although I'm so fresh XSI user I haven't propably noticed even 1/10 of the bugs they fixed.

Question: When I opened the 4.2 and did some quick modeling, I noticed I couldn't ctrl+LMB to select an edge loop anymore. After I copied my user preferences from 4.0 it worked again. I'm just wondering where this feature can be "enabled/disabled" in Preferences?

francescaluce
11-30-2004, 08:58 PM
ehy where're lightmaps ans writable textures... :scream:

ciao
francesca

Layer01
11-30-2004, 10:47 PM
ehy where're lightmaps ans writable textures... :scream:

Best english ever! lol

*goes off to check update at XSI.com*

Doublecrash
12-01-2004, 12:09 AM
Just have to understand how it works with my Foundation... it seems that I have to download again the Foundation Trial version and then update.

Behavior in Advanced... this is BIG! I think I'll begin to save my money for it...

:beer:

Stefano

Ziah
12-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Hey does anyone know whats going on in the educational department??

I see now that they are selling 4.2 with behavior

Do previous educational users get this as well..

I remember them saying something about no upgrades but i don't know if they meant incremental or not as most software companies give incrementals for free since they are mosly bug fixes etc?

Apoclypse
12-01-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm just pining foe the old days when they used have revision numbers like 3.8.1.2.5.6 R4.3.
Ahh Those were the good old days. (nothing constructive just charging these 2 cents posts)

FunBucket
12-01-2004, 01:04 AM
I've got an educational license! I downloaded the 4.2 update, and it works great. Haven't tried Behavior yet. I'm assuming I have to download that seperately?

- Jay

ThirdEye
12-01-2004, 01:05 AM
good update, waiting for the EXP version now :)

Ziah
12-01-2004, 01:06 AM
hey gutterboxkid what was your installation procedure

sign on aim if ya will :)

Chinny
12-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Question: When I opened the 4.2 and did some quick modeling, I noticed I couldn't ctrl+LMB to select an edge loop anymore. After I copied my user preferences from 4.0 it worked again. I'm just wondering where this feature can be "enabled/disabled" in Preferences?
It sounds like a selection preference - click on the selection button and check for extended component mode - If you use the stanard xsi mode then make sure that Ext Com Mode is off

that should fix it

Chin

Ziah
12-01-2004, 01:25 AM
k im home finally on my station ..now question are

Is this update going to work with the key i had for version 4 or do i have to request a new one

For the life of me I can't get it running... I get a "there is no interactive license available to run XSI" message.

4.0 was running just fine and I installed 4.2 to a diff directory. Then, thinking maybe the fact that I had 4.0 still installed may have been the issue I uninstalled 4 and 4.2 and then reinstalled 4.2. Same message...

I'm stumped.

francescaluce
12-01-2004, 01:31 AM
ehy where're lightmaps ans writable textures... *goes off to check update at XSI.com* best advice ever...lol :D
I mean rendertime lightmaps

ciao
francesca

flingster
12-01-2004, 01:49 AM
what are the increased rendering capabilites in foundation?

is there a list of bug fixes somewhere?

cheers.

Vertizor
12-01-2004, 06:27 AM
There is no "patch" installer is there? Foundation users: were we suppose to just download that whole 170 MB 30-day demo and just license it? I already got my key and everything. The setup and license guide talked mostly about the other licensing schemes and I got bored of reading it and eventually jumped to this conclusion.

ssalo
12-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Chinny (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=44678): Thanks, I figured it out later too! (So many ways to personalize this mighty beast...)

Foundation users just have to download the whole trial and then authorize it with 4.0 serials. It worked just fine. But I hoped it would be a patch instead of a whole new install. Well, I keep 4.0 there for awhile just in case.

MJV
12-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Download and installed without problems. I've only had this app a couple of weeks and already an update! :)

"Crowd-simulation software (SOFTIMAGE|BEHAVIORô) now included with SOFTIMAGE|XSI Advanced; SOFTIMAGE|XSI Essentials now includes compositing and paint features"

- http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v4/
- http://www.xsibase.com/news.php?detail=1172

loopdreamz
12-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Looks like that bug is still there where applying a simple override to a parameter locks all the others.

Is that a bug, or just a quirk?

dmonk
12-03-2004, 02:51 PM
I had absolutely no problems Installing the update. I just used my old Serial number from v 4.0.

Has anyone else been playing withthe new SSS shader presets? They are very convenient and easy to use.

EdHarriss
12-03-2004, 03:15 PM
what are the increased rendering capabilites in foundation?

is there a list of bug fixes somewhere?

cheers.
- Here a is a nice bullet list of some of the new features:
- http://www.xsibase.com/news.php?detail=1177

- and here is a link to the "what's new in XSI 4.2" pdf:
- http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v42/Documentation/features.pdf

- and a list of the bugs that were fixed:
- http://www.softimage.com/products/XSI/v42/downloads/fixes.asp?lang=EN

flingster
12-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Cheers Ed.

i can't get into the bug list though..looks like it requires a maintenance contract.
i was just trying to find out if rendering large format pictures was now possible with foundation as before it had problems with memory or something.:shrug: and with foundation you can't use ray.exe...i forget the correct reason behind its issue with large format renders..just wanted to check if it was resolved though...cheers anyways.

JDex
12-03-2004, 05:28 PM
The memory issue is purely a Windows problem... and SI will not be able to fix it.

flingster
12-03-2004, 05:29 PM
The memory issue is purely a Windows problem... and SI will not be able to fix it.
thanks bud..good of ya...cheers.:thumbsup:

luceric
12-03-2004, 05:40 PM
The memory issue is purely a Windows problem... and SI will not be able to fix it.Not entirely true,
XSI 4.2 provides much better memory management under Windows, allowing several hundreds of megabyte more of memory available to XSI compared to XSI 4.0.

JDex
12-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Not entirely true,
XSI 4.2 provides much better memory management under Windows, allowing several hundreds of megabyte more of memory available to XSI compared to XSI 4.0.
That's good to hear... but I am not noticing any improvement (yet). Never was a problem for me though. Passes, scene optimization and sub-region rendering can make it a non-problem. But by all means... open up that memory in any way you can SI...

flingster
12-03-2004, 06:03 PM
btw..if its not a SI issue..then does this mean it will be resolved by MI in the near future? how would you know if its being looked at if you were a foundation user? is it being looked at? will it be resolved or is it deliberate within the different versions?
i'd appreciate it if you now what the score is from a user point of view.:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.